Change Fluids? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Change Fluids?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Change Fluids?

I did some offroading today and i went through one puddle that was a little to deep. Water came over top of the hood however it was for a split second or two. When i got out of the puddle i checked my air intake box and there was water in the bottom but only about a splash, which i wasnt worried about since the intake and filter draw from the top of the air box. Should i have to worry about changing any of my fluids since the axle breathers are at the same height as my air intake box? I have a 2012 jku 6 speed if that would help any.

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
jjeling

Do your breather hoses still have the plastic caps on the end of them?
jjeling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not know. I am assuming they should still have them? What kind of cap is it since the hoses have to breathe?
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
jjeling

Your breather hoses have little green caps on the end of them that prevent stuff like water from getting in. They jiggle a little bit. You can find them under your engine cover and behind the fender flare liner on the right rear wheel well. I cant imagine you got water in the breather tubes as high up as they are. They are pretty well protected too. Id be more worried about my air intake. These things are beasts, but, that was deep water if it was over your hood. I cant imagine any harm was done. I wouldnt do that continually though. Perhaps someone else will chime in.... your electrical connections are supposed to be all water proof but id be concerned about that too going through something so deep.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know. It was only deep for a few seconds. It was high enough though to get water in my cabin airways i think that where it was coming from, because i started leaking water onto my passenger floor and it was coming from behind the glove box. I am not planning on doing it continually. Should i be worried about changing my oil?
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
jjeling

Lol i bet it still runs. How long have u had it? Haha a few seconds. These are not invincible. Maybe someone else has some experience in this. I do not want to give u any misinformation.
Unread 09-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I quick splash won't really harm anything as long as it doesn't get in the breather. If the engine is fine I personally wouldn't worry about changing any fluids.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Was the puddle this bad?
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

It wasnt nearly that bad. What do you mean if the engine is fine? How would i know until the water destroys something inside it if there is water in it?
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeling View Post
Lol i bet it still runs. How long have u had it? Haha a few seconds. These are not invincible. Maybe someone else has some experience in this. I do not want to give u any misinformation.

I have had the jeep for about a month or two. It only as 6,000 miles
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
michaelleegarre
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If theirs water in your oil it should look like milk on the dipstick
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
It wasnt nearly that bad. What do you mean if the engine is fine? How would i know until the water destroys something inside it if there is water in it?
If it was bad, you would have known almost immediately. If it makes you feel better you can change the oil, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you drove out of there and the engine wasn't making absolutely horrible noises that you could not possibly miss, it's fine.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Okay, i figured. I will check though to see if my breather tubes have the green caps on them. If not it might be time to change gear oil.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

No one can give you a definitive answer...if your that worried, change your diff fluids and be done with it. I assume you are still driving the car now, so no water was ingested into the motor. The breather hoses are about 1-1.5 feet above the axles and have caps on them that allow them to breath, but wont allow light water to splash in. If you havent extended the breathers, and water was at the bottom of your door I would be willing to bet the breathers took in water.
maniacal_rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Water at the bottom of my doors? I thought the breather tubes were at the same level of my air intake but i might be wrong. In which case i should be okay, there is no way for me to know if i got water in my axles correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.