Centerforce Clutches Investigation into the JK Throw Out Bearing Noise - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wood1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Centerforce
Vendor

Centerforce Clutches Investigation into the JK Throw-Out Bearing Noise

At Centerforce we have received multiple calls in relation to a throw-out bearing ticking/squeaking noise. Through our investigation, we discovered there is a known inherent problem with 2006Ė2017 Jeeps. This includes factory-installed components, replaced O.E. components and part from other Jeep clutch manufacturers. JK and TJ owners have reported this problem and are looking to us at Centerforce to help find a cure.

We have reviewed our engineering and components to ensure they are the highest quality available and not causing this issue. With the help of some Jeep owners we have tested multiple areas; unfortunately, testing had mixed results with cases of the problem going away and in some cases returning immediately or many months later.

This bearing noise continues to plague JK and TJ Jeep owners. We have reviewed a few different Jeeps and have not been able to reproduce the noise in house. Currently we are looking for anyone experiencing this problem with a factory-installed clutch, Centerforce clutch or other manufacturer's clutch that would be able to bring their Jeep to our facility
in Prescott, Arizona where we have the equipment required to help find a resolution to this problem.

We want to fix this issue not only for Centerforce customers but for anyone experiencing this issue.

There are two issues that seem that seem to arise:

1. A ticking or skidding noise when the pedal is up.
2. A creaking or squeaking noise while the pedal is being depressed or released.

The YouTube video from Emer Grali below is a great example of the noise.

https://youtu.be/OaBAGGpn5mc

There are multiple examples of this problem on YouTube and on other Jeep forums. Although Centerforce is not the cause of the problem we are working to find a resolution for everyone. Here are some forum links we used as resources:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/lets-fix- jk-throw- out-bearing- issue-867949/
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/new-tj- clutch-making- noise-throw- out-bearing- 1402690.html
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-jk- tech-dept/14128- throw-out- bearing-noise.html

For more information please contact our technical service department at 928-771- 8422.

Centerforce Clutches Div. of Midway Industries, Inc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Centerforce; 09-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You guys rock. Something to look at - I had a Spicer box in a ford truck that ate the oem TO by 33k miles then new only lasted 5-8 - after four fails we discovered the drivers side location dowel in the 530 block was low by about .0065". Surprised us as we had seen other assemblies off that far with no problems. .005 Offset dowel and it lived 75k miles (and was still running when I left the company).
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 PM
mrcarcrazy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well color me impressed. Next time I need a clutch in any vehicle Iíll take a second look for your offerings based on this post alone.

FWIW, ACT can suck a fat wet noodle from the interactions Iíve had with them on two separate cars over 15years ago. I will never run their clutches again and I take any opportunity to let people know how much I hate them.

Props to you on taking a proactive approach on this, I bet youíll get an Arizona dweller or 3 to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Jeep:
99 Sahara.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Wood1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is one of the reasons I buy centerforce clutches. Excellent products.
Centerforce likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 PM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Im on my 2nd right now in 100k. And it is failing as we speak. Please hurry.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 AM
63expert
2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I bought my 2012 JKR with 18,000 miles on it in March. After a trail ride with lots of clutch action the TOB started making noise at about 22,500 miles. After driving a while now the bearing will intermittently make the noise with the pedal out, or squeak/creak during the pedal stroke.

I sure hope you guys find a solution for this issue.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
MacK
2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I've been hearing this on my 2015:

Is that the same sound? It's been bugging me.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Centerforce
Vendor

Thank you, everyone, for the positive feedback! We feel that it is our duty to step up and correct this inherent issue, especially when the manufacturer is not making it a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63expert View Post
I bought my 2012 JKR with 18,000 miles on it in March. After a trail ride with lots of clutch action the TOB started making noise at about 22,500 miles. After driving a while now the bearing will intermittently make the noise with the pedal out, or squeak/creak during the pedal stroke.

I sure hope you guys find a solution for this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK View Post
I've been hearing this on my 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tE...ature=youtu.be

Is that the same sound? It's been bugging me.
If either of you are located near us and interested, please drop us a PM or call at (928) 771-8422!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM
MacK
2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerforce View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the positive feedback! We feel that it is our duty to step up and correct this inherent issue, especially when the manufacturer is not making it a priority.

If either of you are located near us and interested, please drop us a PM or call at (928) 771-8422!
I totally would, but I'm around 2300 miles away

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 AM
weaverkb
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would love to bring my 2013 JKU out there because it has the TO noise going on. It's a long haul from central Florida though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.