Capabilities of the 4 door's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Capabilities of the 4 door's

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
OffRoadWrangler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Capabilities of the 4 door's

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the site, joined a while back when i had my old 98 wrangler, but got a divorce and sold it before pcsing from germany so i havnt been on here in a while.

Well, Finally I am starting to look for another jeep! I LOVE the looks of the 4 door jeeps, but Im a little worried if the longer wheel base has taken away from the off-road capabilities at all?

OffRoadWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The extra wheelbase is extremely advantageous if you're planning on going with 37"+ tires.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've never had any difficulty going where the TJ's, YJ's and 2 door JK's go, I just scrap my belly a lot more :P
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
OffRoadWrangler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol thanks guys! i am sold on the 4 doors. They Are pure SEX with a lift and 35+" tires. Now i just gotta decide what year i want to go with...

Is the extra money worth it for the Rubi's?
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
mikek3
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've found that I might get high-centered, or as previously mentioned, drag my way through a bit more than the 2-doors. Other than that, not too much difference, imo.
mikek3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadWrangler View Post
Is the extra money worth it for the Rubi's?
for me it was, i'm so far a casual paced modder, but the rubi has let me wheel in some crazy places that a stock non-rubi might have trouble. the lockers are really great imo.

but if you are going to mod like crazy it is probably better to go with a close to bare bones X and replace everything.

if i were to do it again, i'd probably gone a used never wheeled stock X, and built up to better then rubi.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Rubikon06
2014 JK Wrangler 

So, I found that my 4-door JK is different when taking it off-road than my previous 2-door TJ, but the differences are both good and bad. Traversing hills is much easier and much more stable. The downside is rjounding corners and making tight turns. As well as being concious of high centering on obstacles. I do enjoy my new 4-door because of the extra space for passengers and gear.

Here are pics of my 4-door from last weekend on a nice obstacle here in Colorado:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ph...ale_part_1.jpg
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
OffRoadWrangler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hmm.. i know it will be modded, but nothing extreme for a long while.. Prob. just a 4" lift with some 35's..

What about power? Ive heard the new v6's are dogs with the two door jk's what about the 4 doors and are there any mods for the engines?
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The best mod to fix the lack of power is to regear differentials. I am running 35's with 5.13 gears and an automatic transmission. This combo works great both on and off road.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Seeing as how I've wheeled some pretty challenging territory, keeping pace with 2 doors, Cherokees, locked rigs,etc... I can't say anything bad about the 4 door at all.

Yep, it's a PITA sometimes on narrow trails, but you'd be surprised what you can squeeze through.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
skyjump136
2010 JK Wrangler 

The longer wheel base takes away some breakover angle but it is GREAT for hill climbing. Everything has pros and cons...just learn the limits/capabilities of your particular rig and you'll be able to go anywhere you want.
skyjump136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It is also worth noting that my high steer kit tightened my turning radius significantly to the point where if I am in loose gravel, mud, or another surface with poor traction, I can drag the rear of the Jeep around sideways when I turn the wheel all the way. I am talking about the ability to do this idling, not stomping the gas to do it. It turns tighter than it did when it was bone stock.
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The extra wheelbase is extremely advantageous if you're planning on going with 37"+ tires.
Or if you want more cargo capacity than your standard fanny pack.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadWrangler View Post

What about power? Ive heard the new v6's are dogs with the two door jk's what about the 4 doors and are there any mods for the engines?
I have a 6-speed Rubi, I find the power adequate, more power and people would be getting themselves into trouble and gas mileage would go down the tubes.

People complain about two things mainly: not enough power and poor gas mileage. They are mutually exclusive, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I get 19 mpg on hi-way trips and think that's pretty good for what it is, better than my TJ and the JK 4 dr has a much bigger gas tank for fewer stops for fill-ups. Try doing what a Jeep can do with a Smart Car.

If I want to go fast I drive the Viper. I do admit, it would be fun to have a JK with a HEMI to drag SUV's like Cayennes, Mercs, and BMW's.
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
OffRoadWrangler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well Im not looking for v8 power, i was more worried about the difference in the I6 to the newer v6. Which i read is actually about the same... So not worried about that!

Soo.. now just to decide on what year lol.. i will get back from afghanistan in july of next year so ill be able to get the 09's and 10's for way cheaper than they are now..

Def. going with the dark green(jeep green?) Rubi. then prob. a 3-4" lift and some 35" KM2's with 4.56 or 4.88 gears..

All of the long non-camping and offroading trips will be had in the SCREW F150.. So im not TOO worried about gas miileage although this will be my DD since the fiance is taking over the F150 haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.