Canoe Rack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Canoe Rack?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Canoe Rack?

Curious, I might get a canoe and I am looking to see what my options are. I have a light bar now (yay) so that might be one issue I'd have to deal with.

Do the racks that some of you guys have allow the top to go up and down? I don't want to do 50x the work. Also, would a 14' Canoe fit on the top of the jeep with NO rack?

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I have posted this picture many times.

I have put a canoe on my jeep with no rack. Just put it on the roll bars and tied it down...

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Croce
2009 JK Wrangler 

I did the same as matt. Just got some Canoe Foam peices that seperate the canoe and the windshield so theres no damage. And i actually got way better MPG with it on driving around town. I was around 22mpg
[CENTER][B][COLOR="black"]2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited[/COLOR][/B] | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel [/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/"][COLOR="yellow"]Jeep Owners Manual[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Croce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
ak67sd
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you want to keep the ease of a softtop (up or down and keep the canoe off the softoo) and already have a light bar in front to hold the canoe, then you might want to consider this....

Cabela's Canoe Loader and Rack
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks AK, I just installed the light bar... and it would def. be in the way of putting a canoe up there, so I'd have to use that.

Never owned a canoe but how does this one look: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...367826.2672651

For price/performance?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Would it be easier to purchase a trailer, and rig up something to attach the canoe to it? I can make a small frame with wood, cover it with carpet, and be done.

$179 with $13 shipping: 1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" x 48" Mini Utility Trailer with 12" Four-Lug Wheels and Tires

---
Quote:
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

There are some nice inflatable canoes out now.
Have you looked at any of them?

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think pulling a trailer would get old quickly, there are hitch racks that are easy to install and remove, here's a link to a page full of racks. Should give you some ideas(I'm doing the same,looking for a canoe)
Water Sport Racks :: Thule 997 - Goalpost - For 2 Inch Hitch - Rack Outfitters for Car Racks by Yakima, Thule, Saris, Rocky Mounts and More!
Unread 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
There are some nice inflatable canoes out now.
Have you looked at any of them?
Eh, I'm not into inflatable things. I mainly want to use this for fishing in ponds and back waters. I already have a electric motor for it.

---
Quote:
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
tbone616

There is also the foam block option, you don't need a roof rack so it's the cheapest option in my opinion.
Riverside Car Rooftop Foam Block Canoe Racks - Riverside Car top Carriers Universal Canoe Carrier Foam Blocks Kit
tbone616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm going to go the trailer route - only because it's easier (for me) since i'm going to go canoing with my nephews, the oldest being 14.

But I'm at Cherrystone in VA, trying to figure out how I can buy one in Virginia Beach tomorrow. Going to have to put it on the roof, not sure how I'm going to manage that quite yet.

For that bracket, it's $89 - which is about $100 short of buying a trailer.

---
Quote:
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
JeeperzKreeperz
2007 JK Wrangler 

Something that I am looking at doing is a light bar up front, and a plug in "t-bar" that plugs into the hitch receiver for the back. I carry a surf ski (21ft carbon race kayak) and I'm not a big fan of the basket racks. Been there, done that.
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
thekayaker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Canoe Trailer

I am not so good at welding either - but I know people. Had a guy at a junkyard weld up an angle iron box trailer 4ftW by 6ftL with crossbar extensions on top to accomodate the width of 2 canoes. Yes, it has an extended angle iron tongue. Uses a funky automobile suspension with actual car tires (taken off a totalled Grand Prix). Holds two 16-17 ft. canoes flat with 1 foot of space before hitch/spare tire interference. It's about 2 feet deep and provides lots of storage underneath. I had him put 6 large rebar hoops for tie downs (4 on the corners - 2 in the middle- fore and aft).
Total cost $500. I help out a kayak dealer friend and have used the trailer to stack somewhere north of 10 kayaks on it. I mostly use it for twice-weekly trips to the boat access in town with the kids. It's great for the the once a month extended camping trips - cause the 4ft by 6ft box holds everything under the canoes. I'd attach pics but I'm new here and just getting the hang of it.
Trailering is the way to go. Trust me. I know. - I might as well have Yakima tattoed on my face for all the racks and attachments I own for other vehicles - BUT there is nothing faster to load and unload a canoe than a trailer. It pulls great, no problems in the wind and come on - who really wants to be lifting a drippy, muddy canoe over their heads and sliding it over the passenger area of the vehicle. Not anymore.
thekayaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Found a solution!

---
Quote:
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
Found a solution!

Did you buy that trailer new or used ? How much did it cost ?
I have 6 ( 17 foot )kayaks and plan to build a couple of "trees", ( 1front, and 1 rear ) to mount on a trailer like that one to hold all 6 at once. I used to haul them on my F-250, but my Jeep is too small to haul more than 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.