Cannot remove '12 JKU steering stabilizer bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cannot remove '12 JKU steering stabilizer bracket

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
SpartanGA
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cannot remove '12 JKU steering stabilizer bracket

I have a frustrating problem that all DIY and videos online dont show the same problem.

I am removing my stock steering stabilizer and all that is left is the stock tie rod bracket. It is held in place with a single bolt (more videos show ubolts or similar, which this is not that bracket). This only loosens the bracket...so you can turn it or slide it up/down the tie rod.

The issue is removal. I have tried to pry it apart so you can pull it off, but cannot seem to get the right angle and it is quite stiff and dont want to damage anything.

I managed to get it all the way to the passenger side where the tie connects to the hub where it is much smaller in diameter, but it still is too large/tight. I even tried the brute force hammering to just get it to widen and slip off. it is very stiff.

Advice here? Such an easy job and there is always something small like this that is annoying.

thx

SpartanGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

cut off wheel?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you aren’t going to be using it again then just cut it off like mentioned above. Another way would be to just separate the TRE from the knuckle and unscrew it. If you do unscrew the TRE then be very precise and mark how far it goes into the tubing. Also count how many rotations it takes to remove it to be doubly sure to install it (TRE) exactly as it was.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Take two adjustable wrenches and put them on the two lips and pry it open. If you cant put enough force on it put a big pipe or breaker bar on one of the wrenches and let the other wrench be pushed against the drag link

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
AEVBrute

do you have a pic? I had the same problem and I had to use a puller but it sounds like you are talking about the opposite end of the stabelizer.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I used a torch and pry bar, adjustable wrenches etc. And I reinstalled it on my synergy tie rod. I would have just cut it off but I didn't have a new bracket.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
cut off wheel?
cut off wheel.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
SpartanGA
2012 JK Wrangler 

I ended up looking at it a different way. I was trying to remove a stock bracket so that I could install the RC bracket to do the same function. SO I just moved the stock bracket from the center of the tie rod to the passenger side and used it as my connection for the new stabilizer on that side. Works like a charm.
SpartanGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.