CanBus/ECM Guru's - Will this work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > CanBus/ECM Guru's - Will this work?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

CanBus/ECM Guru's - Will this work?

K, so, question for you CanBus/ECM guru's. I'll preface this question by saying I'm electrical engineer, but not in the field of automotive. Doing the physical wiring myself is easy, wires and schematics don't bother me.

I have an '08 plain jane "X" (well, not so plain jane. check my profile). I picked up a (nearly) new Rubicon electronic Anti-Sway bar off a 2013. This guy bought a brand new Rubi, drove it 80 miles, then tore it down for RockJock 60's, Atlas, big lift, beadlocks, hemi swap, the works. I got the sway bar!

I have done a LOT of investigating, and found I can buy the wiring harness, Mopar P/N 68002996aa from Quadratec, and instructions on how to wire it to power and the CanBus. I also found these instructions that instruct the dealer on how to reprogram my PCM to enable the swaybar feature on the CanBus HERE--
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/98417.pdf

Last thing I need to buy is the OEM switch HERE--
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52446_113.htm

So, the question is---- Will this work?

NOTE--- I have read several threads about removing the PC Board inside the sway bar and just running power thru a toggle switch. I've also seen the mechanical kit that removes everything, motor and all and just just crank a knob to move the sway bar plunger. That's NOT what I'm looking to do. I'm looking for clean, factory operation as if it were in a Rubi.

And also worth noting, I already have the standard sway bar disconnect links. I'm looking to replace the "X" bar with the Rubi bar.

boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it will work. You can buy a programmer and activate the sway bar disconnect yourself if you want to.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Yes, it will work. You can buy a programmer and activate the sway bar disconnect yourself if you want to.
I know with a programmer you can deactivate and reactivate when it came from the factory with e-disco.
But, are you sure a programmer can activate the feature when the JK came from the factory without the e-disco?
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

You MIGHT have to have a dealer activate that option.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I suppose, there are "programers" that will integrate the edisco sway bar, but

With the Rubi, the ECU demands you be in 4lo/4hi, before it will disco and at 18 mph, many funny elex things are supposed to happen with the edisco and 14 mph is the (supposed) optimum speed for the swaybar to stay disco'd-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Now will the 13 swaybar talk to the old ECU. The 11-13 have a different computer system so it is possible that they are not compatible.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If the OP gets the wiring from the dealer for his year, then it should work fine...all the ECM sends to the unit is a voltage or no voltage in the end...I have been told that the ECM has all the functions programmed in and all you have to do is activate them...similar to cruise control, all there, all it takes is the harness/control and to be activated.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
If the OP gets the wiring from the dealer for his year, then it should work fine...all the ECM sends to the unit is a voltage or no voltage in the end...I have been told that the ECM has all the functions programmed in and all you have to do is activate them...similar to cruise control, all there, all it takes is the harness/control and to be activated.
Yes, but can an after-market programmer do it as suggested above?
The instructions that come with the kit indicate there is more to it than just telling it to activate.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think it will work. A dealer will have to update the VIN and then flash the jeep. It may take as much as 15 minutes for it to start working after the flash. This is assuming the option is available in the option list for your VIN.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm the OP. Thanks for all the info so far. I have a Superchips TrailDash. However, even though the Trail dash can do it(according to the manual), I just went down and checked, mine does not have the feature enabled. One of the menu screens is supposed to include activating and deactiving the Rubi sway bar option.
Would that work without a trip to the dealer? Can a phone call to Superchips get it enabled?
boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatycall View Post
I'm the OP. Thanks for all the info so far. I have a Superchips TrailDash. However, even though the Trail dash can do it(according to the manual), I just went down and checked, mine does not have the feature enabled. One of the menu screens is supposed to include activating and deactiving the Rubi sway bar option.
Would that work without a trip to the dealer? Can a phone call to Superchips get it enabled?
What has been discussed is whether or not a programmer can activate the e-disco feature on a JK that did not have it from the factory.
I don't recall anyone trying it in the past.
A phone call to SuperChips may get you an answer.

edit to add:
It looks like the ProCal will turn on this feature on a JK that did not have it from the factory.

Automatic SmartBar System (ASBS) Mode Description:
This mode allows the user to activate or deactivate the vehicle’s Automatic Smartbar System (ASBS). The ASBS is an electronic module that disconnects the front sway bar.
For vehicles that were built with this feature, removal of the module will constantly illuminate the “Sway Bar” lamp on the dash.
For vehicles that were built without this feature, addition of the module will not by itself enable the system.
For either circumstance, the AEV ProCal can activate or deactivate the ASBS.

Notes: Installing or removing the module must be done prior to using the ProCal Module.

Procedure: Consult the Quick Reference Guide and set the DIP switches accordingly. With the engine off and ignition on, plug the module into the OBD port and wait for the horn to sound. If the horn does not sound, consult the troubleshooting section of these instructions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.