Can you give me some feed back on my current mod plan? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Can you give me some feed back on my current mod plan?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #46
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus03 View Post
you are saying that you dont like he concept of using different parts from different vendors and assembling it - that going with one company is definitely better? why not cherry pick and make it the way you want??
id hate to see ya start off and hit a snag from parts not lining up and working together. why have a possibility of creating problems when a complete lift kit would eliminate them. just thinking aloud
find a RK lift owner that has a con to say about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus03 View Post
i wonder if a basic teraflex leveling kit (gives u 2 inch lift in front and 1 in rear), 33" tires, 17" MT sidebiters, king shocks front and rear would be a great starting point? this would eliminate warranty issues and would be considered a safer ride
that works too

Full Build Thread

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" '07 Jeep JK 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs
Facebook Twitter YouTube

MrDeids.com Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
Pitbull Tires Poison Spyder Customs Poly Performance Rigid Industries Rock Krawler Suspension Spiderweb Shade
Magazine Feature:
2007 Jeep Wrangler - 426 Hemi JK - All The Right Stuff Oct, '11
Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #47
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Liquor;9358581]id hate to see ya start off and hit a snag from parts not lining up and working together. why have a possibility of creating problems when a complete lift kit would eliminate them. just thinking aloud

Here's a couple:
Customer Rating Rock Krawler X-Factor Bent Arm Pavement Manners
Date: Jan 14, 2007
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Southwest, Texas)
My Jeep is great off road but handles like crap on the pavement. I put this kit on my brand new $28,000.00 plus dollar Rubicon with just 3000 miles on it. Now I am stuck with it. I handles like a worn out dump truck. I have tweaked and re-tweaked it. The bent arms do not want to stay in place no matter how tight you get the nuts. In my opinion the kit has a terrible lack of engineering. Just wait until you snap off one of the cute little grease zirks. They are impossible to locate. Forget about going to your local hardware store. Customer service at Rock Krawler will be glad to sell you one for 50 cents plus $6.00 S&H. I hope you have better luck with your 5.5 X factor system then I am having with mine. If I had a second chance I would put any other system but Rock Krawler. It may work for the person who trailers his rig but its not going to make you happy if you care how your Jeep handles

Not to happy
Date: Apr 26, 2009
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Pittsburgh, PA)
For starters i ordered the 5.5" long arm kit. When i recieved it i was missing the lower control arms. Then i had to call and they sent me them two weeks later. So i take some time off work to get my jeep all torn down and as i started to put the front end together is where the problems started. First thing the lower arms they sent were both for the drivers side. So i had to call again. So i called and talked to a guy and he said to email pictures. So i did. Then it took two days to get a reply, another week to get the right arm.

So i figured i was good and ready to finish it. Wrong. I put the springs in and get the axle up in place to put the shocks on and ran into another problem. The size they said to use for the shocks was wrong. I had ordered procomp mx6 shocks and they were fully compressed before i ever let the jack all the way down. So as of right now i'm still waiting on an answer about that from there very lousy customer service. I'll be sure to update with more info.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #48
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

My "living" first phase mod plan updated - Option B

2009 2dr X 6000 miles

After reading about warranty issues (i dont have extended warranty) and some death wobble articles i decided to create an option B for my first phase. Over the next few days I will mull over what to do and then.....I'm just gonna do it.

1) Teraflex Leveling Kit - adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear effectively - comes with front sway bar links. Site says you can run a 33-34" tall tire with this kit. May need wheel spacers for proper clearance on factory wheels (spidertrax i guess and similar color to my jeep)

2) Off Road Evolution King Direct Bolt in Shocks (2 front & 2 rear)

3) Mickey Thompson 5272 LT285/70R17 33X11.50R17 OWL 121Q 58 D 3,195 65 7.5-9.5 8.5 11.5 8.9 33.0 18

4) Utilize my stock 17" x 17.5" wheels - coat & paint them

5) this could prevent any warranty issues and would be a safer ride.

6) however when looking at a gear ratio cahrt it looks like for 33" tires trying to get into a range from better gas mileage to more power (3.91 - 4.88) i would be out of this range with 3.73 but still can drive the vehicle. This is something I will have to ponder more cuz when you re-gear you lose the warranty I believe.

Thank you very much and appreciate any knowledge.

Rock On!

Last edited by lotus03; 04-27-2010 at 08:30 AM..
lotus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #49
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't know for sure but you may need wheel spacers if you use the stock rims and those tires. Soft 8's are cheaper than spacers and you could sell the stock rims. I do like the look of the stockers painted though!

EDIT: sorry didn't realize you already mentioned the spacers.
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #50
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2007 JK Wrangler 

[quote=juiceparn;9360565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
id hate to see ya start off and hit a snag from parts not lining up and working together. why have a possibility of creating problems when a complete lift kit would eliminate them. just thinking aloud

Here's a couple:
Customer Rating Rock Krawler X-Factor Bent Arm Pavement Manners
Date: Jan 14, 2007
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Southwest, Texas)
My Jeep is great off road but handles like crap on the pavement. I put this kit on my brand new $28,000.00 plus dollar Rubicon with just 3000 miles on it. Now I am stuck with it. I handles like a worn out dump truck. I have tweaked and re-tweaked it. The bent arms do not want to stay in place no matter how tight you get the nuts. In my opinion the kit has a terrible lack of engineering. Just wait until you snap off one of the cute little grease zirks. They are impossible to locate. Forget about going to your local hardware store. Customer service at Rock Krawler will be glad to sell you one for 50 cents plus $6.00 S&H. I hope you have better luck with your 5.5 X factor system then I am having with mine. If I had a second chance I would put any other system but Rock Krawler. It may work for the person who trailers his rig but its not going to make you happy if you care how your Jeep handles

Not to happy
Date: Apr 26, 2009
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Pittsburgh, PA)
For starters i ordered the 5.5" long arm kit. When i recieved it i was missing the lower control arms. Then i had to call and they sent me them two weeks later. So i take some time off work to get my jeep all torn down and as i started to put the front end together is where the problems started. First thing the lower arms they sent were both for the drivers side. So i had to call again. So i called and talked to a guy and he said to email pictures. So i did. Then it took two days to get a reply, another week to get the right arm.

So i figured i was good and ready to finish it. Wrong. I put the springs in and get the axle up in place to put the shocks on and ran into another problem. The size they said to use for the shocks was wrong. I had ordered procomp mx6 shocks and they were fully compressed before i ever let the jack all the way down. So as of right now i'm still waiting on an answer about that from there very lousy customer service. I'll be sure to update with more info.
those are 2 ive seen in the last 4 years. cant count how many pros ive read

Full Build Thread

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" '07 Jeep JK 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs
Facebook Twitter YouTube

MrDeids.com Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
Pitbull Tires Poison Spyder Customs Poly Performance Rigid Industries Rock Krawler Suspension Spiderweb Shade
Magazine Feature:
2007 Jeep Wrangler - 426 Hemi JK - All The Right Stuff Oct, '11
Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #51
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

thanks for info
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #52
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

My $.02, as usual, served with a hefty grain of salt.

2.5" of lift and Bushwacker Flat Flairs; clears the 35s fine, no need for shafts, use the money to sleeve and gusset the D30.

Cooper Discoverer STT tires on the wheel of your choice. I strongly advise against 18s for a grocery list of reasons.

Rock rails, as mentioned earlier.

Bumpers and winch and hi-lift and a set of HID offroad lights; you wanna make it home every time.

If you're doing the exhaust, relocate the evap canister or cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn View Post
I think I'd have to add more than any bumper/winch/armor combination out there to make enough difference to make me wanna higher load rating. I was at a rock crawling event last weekend and most all of the buggies had C tires. When aired down they hold a bead much better and I only have to air down to about 15 PSI to get some great bulging. My wheeling buddy used D rated BFG's and he's at 10 PSI and his sidewalls hardly give at all. (he is in a heavily armored YJ)
I have E-rated 255/85-16 BFG KM2s.
Seen in this picture (between Tuscon and Nogales) I'm aired-down to 17 psi.
The goal isn't to bulge the sidewalls; bulging sidewalls beg sharp rocks to cut them.
The goal is to increase the contact patch of the tire and also allow it to deform over sharp/misshapen hazards.
They performed very well in that respect. When I crawled over obstacles, they conformed and gripped like chimp feet.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.