JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Can you give me some feed back on my current mod plan? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/can-you-give-me-some-feed-back-my-current-mod-plan-1016294/)

lotus03 04-20-2010 02:53 AM

Can you give me some feed back on my current mod plan?

Hi, i purchased a 2009 2 door X JK and am ready to do some mods (first ones). I'm really excited about it but dont want to make any silly mistakes. Appreciate any advice you can provide and am really psyched. For the next year I will ride on the beach a few times and some light trail riding but mostly will be putting around on the street. Here's my current plan:

1) Mickey Thompson M/T SideBiter Wheels - I read that for my JK the offset range is supposed to be (mm): 15 to 35 but these wheels on MT website say for 5 on 5 its -12. Not sure if I'll be able to use these wheels?

2) Baja MTZ Radial - 31X10.50R15LT

3) thinking not to do any lift right now but possibly later on. My garage is small and worried about being able to fit in there but will be moving in the next year. I was looking at teraflex & the AVE Nth degree looks really sweet too.

4) Do you think I will need wheel spacers? Do you recommend a size with this set up? I would purchase spidertrax i think and they are also same color as my ride.

5) Gibson Performance Split Rear; Dual Exhaust Kit

6) should i purchase shocks?

7) i will be hiring someone to do this work for me

This is what i am considering right now. Do you recommend anything else or have any comments?

Any feed back would be excellent and much appreciated.

All The Best,

David

johnch0512 04-20-2010 03:31 AM

Hey buddy. With the 31's. You wont need any wheel spacers. That all sounds pretty good. How long until you said you were gonna lift it, because there is no point in my mind to get smaller tires to ride on if you plan on lifting it in the near future.

N2rock 04-20-2010 09:49 AM

1) Forget "offset"- you need to look at the back spacing amount. To run a 15" wheel, you are going to need at most 4" back spacing, 3.75" would be preferable. Anything more than 4" will rub the caliper. And even some with 4" back spacing will rub. So best bet is to go 3.75" back spacing, OR move up to a 16" wheel (no guess work involved with 16") and go with 4" or 4.5" back spacing

2) 31" is TINY! Most JK's come stock with 32" tires. Some come with smaller tires. But they look bad with tires that small. Go at least 32". If you plan on lifting, you'll want to go even taller (33" or 35" depending on the amount of lift)

3) Pull your jeep in the garage and park it so the rear wheels are directly under the garage door. Now measure the distance from the roof to the garage door. I'm sure you'll have plenty of space left to lift. Which lift you decide on is going to depend on how tall you want to go. You only need 2.5"-3" of lift to fit 35" tires. 2.5" lifts can be had fairly inexpensive. Figure out your height and budget

4) Forget spacers. Buy the right wheels with the proper back spacing. Stock wheels have 6.25" back spacing. If you lift it, you need to move the wheels outward. Usually 4"-4.5" back spacing will suffice. Only time you need spacers is if you lift it and try to use the stock wheels. But if you're buying wheels anyway, might as well get the right ones to begin with and not worry about spacers.

5) I have no opinions on exhaust. I'll stick with the stock until I tear it off on the trail :teehee:

6) if you lift, you will need taller shocks. If you don't lift, there is really no reason to bother

7) You can do the work yourself- it's not rocket science ;) That will save you a ton of money

lotus03 04-20-2010 11:57 PM

John you are right thank you

N2rock thanks a lot man

revised concept:

1) Mickey Thompson Sidebiter Wheels - size 17x9 has 4.5 back spacing
2) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial 5290 - LT305/70R18 - 35X12.50R18 - 12.2 section width - load range E
or Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial 5275 - LT315/70R17 - 35X12.50R17 - 11.9 section width - load range D

3) AEV / Nth Degree 3.5" Premium Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks

4) Gibson Performance Split Rear; Dual Exhaust Kit

5) regarding my garage issue i measured it: room left from garage door to top of vehicle is about 12 inches. The side of the vehicle has total of about 24 inches combined of room left to make it into the garage (12 inches each side if i enter centered).

6) anything else I should think about or add/revise??

EDIT:

7) MBRP S5518 Black off road tail pipe, muffler before axle OR MBRP Jeep JK Wrangler Performance Exhaust System - T-409 Stainless Steel (Black) OR Gibson Performance Split Rear; Dual Exhaust Kit

8) 5.13 Front and Rear Gears & Overhaul Kit Package

Thanks a lot!

Dave

mattman8706 04-21-2010 12:06 AM

I was getting ready to type pretty much all of this out but N2rock summed it up very well. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2rock (Post 9317984)
1) Forget "offset"- you need to look at the back spacing amount. To run a 15" wheel, you are going to need at most 4" back spacing, 3.75" would be preferable. Anything more than 4" will rub the caliper. And even some with 4" back spacing will rub. So best bet is to go 3.75" back spacing, OR move up to a 16" wheel (no guess work involved with 16") and go with 4" or 4.5" back spacing

2) 31" is TINY! Most JK's come stock with 32" tires. Some come with smaller tires. But they look bad with tires that small. Go at least 32". If you plan on lifting, you'll want to go even taller (33" or 35" depending on the amount of lift)

3) Pull your jeep in the garage and park it so the rear wheels are directly under the garage door. Now measure the distance from the roof to the garage door. I'm sure you'll have plenty of space left to lift. Which lift you decide on is going to depend on how tall you want to go. You only need 2.5"-3" of lift to fit 35" tires. 2.5" lifts can be had fairly inexpensive. Figure out your height and budget

4) Forget spacers. Buy the right wheels with the proper back spacing. Stock wheels have 6.25" back spacing. If you lift it, you need to move the wheels outward. Usually 4"-4.5" back spacing will suffice. Only time you need spacers is if you lift it and try to use the stock wheels. But if you're buying wheels anyway, might as well get the right ones to begin with and not worry about spacers.

5) I have no opinions on exhaust. I'll stick with the stock until I tear it off on the trail :teehee:

6) if you lift, you will need taller shocks. If you don't lift, there is really no reason to bother

7) You can do the work yourself- it's not rocket science ;) That will save you a ton of money

lotus03 04-21-2010 12:07 AM

thanks Matt - i was also wondering if 37's would go better with 3.5 inch lift

alaskanthunder 04-21-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus03 (Post 9323528)
4) Gibson Performance Split Rear; Dual Exhaust Kit

Dave

I'd skip that.

You will get sick of the drone at highway speeds. I took mine off and put the stock muff back on.

Many other people have had good results with the MBRP exhaust.

In my opinion, leave the exhaust alone.

:cheers2:

lotus03 04-21-2010 12:16 AM

I stumbled across this - with 35's I'll have to decide between 4.11 - 4.56 - or 5.13:

34-35" tires
minimum 2.5" BB/3" lift,
will rub at full flex with 2.5BB
trim/remove front air dam
new gears may be needed on automatic transmissions, overdrive not able to be used (possible upgrade to 4.88's or 5.13's but not necessary)
4.10's ok for manual, but 6th gear obsolete.
trim pinch weld at rear tire

------------------------

36-37" tires
minimum 3.5-4" lift
some trimming may be required on front bumper/fenderwells
new gears 4.88 or 5.13's (4.10s will be insufficient for both manual and auto)

BlueTickHound 04-21-2010 12:37 AM

work yourself

I own 3 jeeps and before I got my first one never did any automotive work. Now i do almost everything. At first you won't be fast. Take your time, take breaks, and make it part of the fun.

Also AEV is a great lift.

listen to these guys on the forum. lots of good opinions and even some hard earned wisdom

I had a big mod kit for my rubi but have decided to leave it stock for awhile so I can get the new mod smile on my face in about 6 months.

welcome and enjoy

JLC08JK 04-21-2010 12:44 AM

My advice to you is to spend some time here on the forum.
There are many options to consider and many good examples to review within these pages!
I've proudly owned my JK for a year and a half, I've been on this forum for six months and I just started my mods' last week :rolleyes:
You just got here, so why not stick around and when the time is right you'll know exactly what you want! You will have the knowledge to make educated decisions and a new group of friends to help you spend your money, oh I mean share the excitement with!!!
Welcome and do it right the first time :wave:

lotus03 04-21-2010 01:24 AM

ok thanks a lot for all the comments

Seanie 04-21-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus03 (Post 9323568)
I stumbled across this - with 35's I'll have to decide between 4.11 - 4.56 - or 5.13:

34-35" tires
minimum 2.5" BB/3" lift,
will rub at full flex with 2.5BB
trim/remove front air dam
new gears may be needed on automatic transmissions, overdrive not able to be used (possible upgrade to 4.88's or 5.13's but not necessary)
4.10's ok for manual, but 6th gear obsolete.

------------------------

36-37" tires
minimum 3.5-4" lift
some trimming may be required on front bumper/fenderwells
new gears 4.88 or 5.13's (4.10s will be insufficient for both manual and auto)

I have 4.10's on mine and have no problem, so if you have those and decide to go to 35's, regearing isn't necessary
(depending on what you use it for). I have to turn O/D off when I'm above 50 on the highway when there are hills. But if you have to regear, you might as well do 5.13's. :tea:

lotus03 04-21-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskanthunder (Post 9323551)
I'd skip that.

You will get sick of the drone at highway speeds. I took mine off and put the stock muff back on.

Many other people have had good results with the MBRP exhaust.

In my opinion, leave the exhaust alone.

:cheers2:

thanks. yeah if i went with MBRP im not sure of the pro's and con's between these:

1) MBRP S5518 Black off road tail pipe, muffler before axle
2) MBRP Jeep JK Wrangler Performance Exhaust System - T-409 Stainless Steel (Black)

lotus03 04-21-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nellanaesp (Post 9323706)
I have 4.10's on mine and have no problem, so if you have those and decide to go to 35's, regearing isn't necessary
(depending on what you use it for). I have to turn O/D off when I'm above 50 on the highway when there are hills. But if you have to regear, you might as well do 5.13's. :tea:

I have 3.73 dana 30 front and dana 44 rear

so if I went with 5.13 I would purchase Front and Rear Gears & Overhaul Kit Package - found one for 500 bucks

my vehicle has 6,000 miles on it but still probably go with overhaul kit as opposed to installation kit.

I think thats all i need to purchase and "just" have to pay someone to do the job. I dont need a new carrier or locker cuz I have 3.73 stock I read.

thanks!

lotus03 04-21-2010 07:54 AM

Anyone know anything about Fabtech 5” Crawler System?

looks wild

The time now is 08:24 PM.