can the stock radio connect to an amp to power a sub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > can the stock radio connect to an amp to power a sub?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
mudman1

can the stock radio connect to an amp to power a sub?

hi everyone, i'm thinking about getting a sub and an amp..but i want to keep the stock radio. any time in my life that i've had a good car stereo, it got stolen.

so, does the stock radio even have the ability to connect to a an amp with a sub?

thanks

mudman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
KaboomNuggets
2009 JK Wrangler 

It sure can. With (what we use to call a step down) don't know the technical name for it you can add a sub and amp to pretty much any radio. Just make sure you get a bass control knob for the amp so you can controll the output of the sub.
KaboomNuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
CHIPMAKER
2010 JK Wrangler 

Asuming you dont have a factory sub, you will need an adaptor. Maybe this would work...

Axxess ALOC608 - Line-Out Converters - Sonic Electronix

Also there are many amps that will accept speaker level connections. Some will even turn on when detecting a signal, then you don't need a turn on wire.
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Unlimited2010

easy to tap into the front speakers with the line out converter, run he amp power wire though the p/s side of the dashboard (will post pics later), mount the amp under the p/s front seat (pleanty of room)!!!!! lock the box and sub to the car seat securing loops in the back. Makes it easy to remove if needed when not locked!!!!!

-R
Unlimited2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Unlimited2010

Pic of my sub! too dark to take other pics now!

-R
dsc_0033.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

I am in the process of doing this now. What % did you adjust the line level converter to?
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Unlimited2010

you are probably going to set according to your preference. sure it will be different for each onverter, amps, head units.........

per my pics, see where i ran the power wire through. puts it right by the battery.

plenty of room for amp as shown in my pic, too.

-R
dsc_0007.jpg   dsc_0009-2-.jpg   dsc_0008.jpg  
Unread 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

I set mine up similar to yours, but I was able to hide all of the wiring under the carpet. The side where I made the amp connections is where the center console is, so no wires are visible.
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited2010 View Post
you are probably going to set according to your preference. sure it will be different for each onverter, amps, head units.........

per my pics, see where i ran the power wire through. puts it right by the battery.

plenty of room for amp as shown in my pic, too.

-R
What converter did you use?
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Unlimited2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
What converter did you use?

they were ones i picked up back in 1998 from radio shack for $15.XX i believe. no ides on brand. sorry.

can check later.

i have never been great with wire management........this is actually pretty good. you can't see them unless you bend down and look under the seats!!!!!

-R

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.