Can I temporarily get by on 35's with no lift? - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 05-21-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
HydroUnlimited

Can I temporarily get by on 35's with no lift?

Picked up a new Unlimited the other day. I have new wheels/tires (35's on ProComps, no offset = 5" backspace).

I'd like to put them on and drive to the shop where I'm putting on the lift kit. So, will it be ok for just on the road driving for now? From what I've read it should be (posted similar question on another jeep site but final answer still not clear).

Thx

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why did you get 5" backspacing instead of 4.5"

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 PM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

A big bump could theoretically shred the tires on the wheel well or pinch seam (for which the pinch seam you should deal with regardless of lift, if it's 2014+ the pinch seam should be good to go for 35's). If you're extremely confident the road is free of big bumps, it's probably safe. Is there any reason to not just leave the old tires on until it has the lift on? If it's just impatience/seeing the tires on, I highly recommend waiting until the lift is on.

Basically, you can make it safe if you want to go through the work but just putting them on and not checking clearances could end very poorly.

As for backspace, you're going to be very very close to rubbing on the front at full steering lock and might need to shim the steering stops.
post #4 of 39 Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that only on full stuff would a no lift 35 hit a pinch seam, and would blow the fender flare clean off before that happened anyway.
post #5 of 39 Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Z-OR

OK, I'm just your basic white trash over here. So forgive me if this is a stupid question.

But why not just drive over on the factory tires? And put the big tires on after?

2016 JKU
Cloaked! / 35" BFGs
Crawler Conceptz /AEV ProCal /VKS sliders
- GC 5.7
post #6 of 39 Old 05-22-2016, 02:41 AM
BROWNING3250CAL
2007 JK Wrangler 

Because this is a traffic moving troll thread. Nobody is that dumb lol. Only in the novies ya'll.

Keep on truckin'!

👍 🍻
post #7 of 39 Old 05-22-2016, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
HydroUnlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Why did you get 5" backspacing instead of 4.5"
According to AEV, they design their rims to work with their lifts. They use +10 offset, which equals aprx 5.22" backspace. They want the tires as close to the truck as they can without any rubbing. 4.5" backspace looks bit too far out to me. Zero offset, which equals 5" backspace seems just right for the look and should have no clearance/rubbing issues. Stock is 6+" backspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
OK, I'm just your basic white trash over here. So forgive me if this is a stupid question.

But why not just drive over on the factory tires? And put the big tires on after?
Good question...No, not over anxious. It's a logistics issue. They want the tires there to test drive and check alignment. If I can drop off my jeep with tires on, my friend can pick me up on his way home from work. If not, I need to load the pickup and find another driver to follow me out (or make another trip the following day). About 45min each way - so if it's not an issue for street trip it would be the most practical and save a bunch of time.

It's a 2016 so welds won't be a factor...just wondering about flares at this point...

Thx

Dave
post #8 of 39 Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

35's need about 3" extended bump stops to prevent rubbing.

Factory suspension has about 3.5" (+/- 1.2") of compression.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #9 of 39 Old 05-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It's been pretty well established in the last nine years what backspacing is required for various tire sizes. There is a pretty extensive sticky concerning that.

Your second post talks about AEV but your first post talks about ProComp.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
It's been pretty well established in the last nine years what backspacing is required for various tire sizes. There is a pretty extensive sticky concerning that.

Your second post talks about AEV but your first post talks about ProComp.
Are you insinuating that backspacing numbers have different meanings between manufacturers?

Most manufacturers claim you need a minimum of 4.5" BS. Why do they say that? Because it's a safe number and a very commonly cast wheel. AEV seems to have done some research and claim 5.2" works. It probably does, as lots of people run their wheels. Are their lifts and wheels special? Nope.

The less backspacing (numerically higher) number a wheel has, the less stress it puts on the balljoints, bearings, and other stuff. That sounds advantageous to me
post #11 of 39 Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
35's need about 3" extended bump stops to prevent rubbing.

Factory suspension has about 3.5" (+/- 1.2") of compression.
No. 35s do not need 3" extensions.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #12 of 39 Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroUnlimited View Post
According to AEV, they design their rims to work with their lifts. They use +10 offset, which equals aprx 5.22" backspace. They want the tires as close to the truck as they can without any rubbing. 4.5" backspace looks bit too far out to me. Zero offset, which equals 5" backspace seems just right for the look and should have no clearance/rubbing issues. Stock is 6+" backspace.
I know what AEV says on their specs - and you are only stating what they are saying. If you are saying that the AEV wheel is made to go with their lifts, then I can only assume that your wheels are AEV. It doesnt make sense, though.

If a 0 offset was 5", that means that the wheel would need to be 10" wide... That said:

The stock BS is exactly 6". The stock wheel is 7.5" wide. meaning stock rim center (0 offset) was 3.75". Subtract that from 6 and the offset was +2.25".

AEVs are 8.5" wheels. A 0 offset (right in the middle) would be 4.25". +10mm offset is about 4/10s of an inch - roughly 11/32s call it 5/16+. thats 4 and 5/8th back space.... call it 4.625.

I'd want to know how they did their math. Either that 10mm offset number is not accurate, or they dont know how to do mm to inch conversion.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #13 of 39 Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
If a 0 offset was 5", that means that the wheel would need to be 10" wide... That said:

The stock BS is exactly 6". The stock wheel is 7.5" wide. meaning stock rim center (0 offset) was 3.75". Subtract that from 6 and the offset was +2.25".

AEVs are 8.5" wheels. A 0 offset (right in the middle) would be 4.25". +10mm offset is about 4/10s of an inch - roughly 11/32s call it 5/16+. thats 4 and 5/8th back space.... call it 4.625.

I'd want to know how they did their math. Either that 10mm offset number is not accurate, or they dont know how to do mm to inch conversion.
So, look at this picture, and note how backspacing is measured from the edge of the rim, whereas wheel is measured from bead to bead.

propped1 likes this.
post #14 of 39 Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Got it

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #15 of 39 Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
No. 35s do not need 3" extensions.
Please explain? On my jeep with 35" tires, factory fenders, and 2.5" bump stops I rub the fenders when stuffed. Just about hard enough to cause damage to the fenders. If I put 3" bump stops on I DON'T rub the factory fenders when stuffed. Just curious what I am missing?

Back is fine with 2.5" bumps though, might just kiss the fender but not bad enough to damage as far as I have experienced.

07 JKU Wrangler
10 XK Commander Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.