Can adj ball joints correct my caster? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Can adj ball joints correct my caster?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

So I have the rock krawler 3.5" mid arm lift with 35's on my 2012 JKU just had my jeep aligned again and my caster is off by 2.2 degrees and my camber is off slightly on the left side. My mechanic said buy just the upper adjustable ball joints and we can correct the problem?? Thought I could just adjust my control arms for the caster but I guess its not re easy. Here is my alignment print out. Do you guys think adj ball joints would help or do I have other options?

image-891914968.jpg

4:88 Yukon gears
KOR Drive shafts
04WJfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

No, adj ball joints can be used to correct camber, not caster. Adj control arms are used to correct caster - or God forbid - cam bolts. A lift will make the caster off. At 3.5 inches you will need adj control arms to adjust caster in front and pinion angle in the rear. I would not worry about camber or toe in, they look OK to me, but you need to increase your caster to 4+ degrees or the front will wander the road.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
No, adj ball joints can be used to correct camber, not caster. Adj control arms are used to correct caster - or God forbid - cam bolts. A lift will make the caster off. At 3.5 inches you will need adj control arms to adjust caster in front and pinion angle in the rear. I would not worry about camber or toe in, they look OK to me, but you need to increase your caster to 4+ degrees or the front will wander the road.
. So adjusting the lower control arms will do the trick for caster or do I need to adjust all the front control arms and how do I know how much to adjust them with out getting another alignment? And besides the jeep wondering on the road is there anything else it could hurt by the caster being off?
KOR Drive shafts
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is discussion of using slightly longer lower control arms vs slightly shorter upper control arms or doing upper and lower...choose your option I guess. I used slightly longer lower CAs (about 3.8 inch longer as I recall) to set mine at about 4.2 degrees. Wandering is the only bad effect as I see it unless you go with negative caster, then it becomes unstable.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
There is discussion of using slightly longer upper control arms vs slightly shorter lower control arms or doing upper and lower...choose your option I guess. I used slightly longer upper CAs (about 3.8 inch longer as I recall) to set mine at about 4.2 degrees. Wandering is the only bad effect as I see it unless you go with negative caster, then it becomes unstable.
Longer uppers would decrease castor wouldn't it?
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok sounds good so I will adjust the control arms slightly. And if I do the ball joints I will just buy some heavy duty ones instead of adjustable.
KOR Drive shafts
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

FWIW, I had the 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex System in the 2010, and now on the 2013. In both cases, even with the lowers dialed in all the way (shortest possible), it wasn't enough to correct the pinion angle or caster. In fact, I noticed that 2013 pinion was already pointing slightly upwards with the stock setup. But after the RK install, the pinion is now parallel to the ground. I have orderd the RK adjustable uppers for the front to correct this. They should arrive sometime this week.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh Oh, the front LCAs are supposed to be LONGER, after a "lift"to give back more positive castor-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep View Post
FWIW, I had the 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex System in the 2010, and now on the 2013. In both cases, even with the lowers dialed in all the way (shortest possible), it wasn't enough to correct the pinion angle or caster. In fact, I noticed that 2013 pinion was already pointing slightly upwards with the stock setup. But after the RK install, the pinion is now parallel to the ground. I have orderd the RK adjustable uppers for the front to correct this. They should arrive sometime this week.
Mine are 23-1/4" for about 5 positive castor--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

JWMBishop, got it backwards...tnx for catch, will correct original post, but that will not change quote...brain fart on my end.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
spinlock

Before your correction, I was thinking that driving your JK was like pushing a shopping cart backwards.

Anything above 3" its really helps to have all 4 front CA's
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock
Before your correction, I was thinking that driving your JK was like pushing a shopping cart backwards. Anything above 3" its really helps to have all 4 front CA's
my JK actually isn't that bad on the highway, it barely wonders. But I have the X factor kit so I have adjustable control arms upper and lower front and back so I few little adjustment s and I'll be fine!!
KOR Drive shafts
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJfreedom View Post
Ok sounds good so I will adjust the control arms slightly. And if I do the ball joints I will just buy some heavy duty ones instead of adjustable.
Typically, front lower controls arms are used to position the axle (forward or back) in the wheel well so the tire is centered. Front uppers are used to adjust castor.

02 Black Sahara with 35s, long arms and other stuff (sold)
Pokey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey02 View Post
Typically, front lower controls arms are used to position the axle (forward or back) in the wheel well so the tire is centered. Front uppers are used to adjust castor.
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
04WJfreedom
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey02
so with my caster being at 2.2 when it should be above 4.2 do you guys recommend extending the upper control arms or shortening them? And by how much does anyone have the RK 3.5" lift and know what your upper control arm length are set at?
KOR Drive shafts
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJfreedom View Post
so with my caster being at 2.2 when it should be above 4.2 do you guys recommend extending the upper control arms or shortening them? And by how much does anyone have the RK 3.5" lift and know what your upper control arm length are set at?
It sounds like you need to shorten the front upper control arms. Do you have an angle finder?

There is a good article from another forum regarding caster:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/j...affect-my-jeep

02 Black Sahara with 35s, long arms and other stuff (sold)
Pokey02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.