call me old school - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > call me old school

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #46
ODAMO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
How do you see any correlation between the 4-dr Wrangler and the Commander?? People who want a large, 7-passenger, luxury SUV would buy a Commander, as opposed to people who want a Wrangler, who will buy Wranglers. They're nothing alike. The only Jeep models that 'overlap' would be the WK and XK - both large luxury-oriented SUVs intended for on-road driving (not that what people do with them is allways what Jeep intended them to do ).
I DON'T !! People who want a large, 7 passenger, luxury SUV should look elsewhere cause the Commander falls short in that catagory.
I'll bet once the Wrangler Unlimited is out they sell more of them than the Commander. And once the full lin-up is out it's only a matter of time before some of the "overlap" models get axed. IMO

Jeep Commander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Liberty
Jeep Compass
Jeep Patriot
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

You don't see any overlap here??

00 Intrepid R/T
~who says a fuul size sedan can't be a sports car?~
Aren't "Sports cars" supposed to be 2 doors ???

ODAMO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #47
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAMO
Maybe what they should have done is never built the Commander and named the 4 door Wrangler the Commander. I think Jeep is headed towards having too many models that do nothing but overlap each other. When the Unlimited comes out I don't see that many Commanders being sold. With it's lack of off road ability you might as well get the Grand, it's more refined. The Cherokee was offered in 2 or 4 doors so why not the wrangler. Ford attempted to correct their mistake of doing a second attempt at a small bronco with the bronco II.... too bad it was no match for the original, in looks or performance.

So a vehicle with solid axles, 4:1 TC, Dana 44's with lockers f/r is lacking "that much" in off road ability because it's 20 inches longer?

I don't know about you people sometimes. Maybe around your neck of the woods a short wheelbase is the only "capable" vehicle, but around here I know my buddies Suburban with 3" of lift, cut fenders and 38's (with only the rear welded up) went places where a guy with an '04 Rubicon on 34's couldn't, especially on certain hills they climbed.

I'm quite sure our future '07 Unlimited Rubicon will be plenty capable of going anyplace we'll want it to go, and we'll be glad to have it when we go back to Moab. I doubt we'll miss the '05 GC we have now, as it just didn't cut it last time. Granted it is a Laredo, so we don't have the QD-II, which would've helped. A 2-door isn't big enough to hold the cages from my fiance's dog/cat grooming business, so that's out of the question.

Oh, and rock crawling on tight trails isn't the only "4-wheeling" people do. Some of us our quite happy just to go run easy trails like Shafers Trail in Moab . . . after driving 15 hours to get there. We all don't need to trailer extreme vehicles to go run black diamond trails to have fun. Having the Dana 44's, 4:1, lockers, etc. is just a little extra insurance that where ever we go on vacation we'll be able to go play and still drive back home as we won't have to thrash it as much to go places. Plus, it will make it more future proof, as I'm sure we'll eventually lift it, and it'll be nice to not have to change as much as a regular JK to keep it together.

Hip
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #48
Rush
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwales31
i hate the new wrangler its not a jeep.....2wd? plastic bumpers? 4 door? its too big to fit down most trails in my area
06 TJ = 68.2 inches. 07 KJ, 73.7 inches

Diff = 5.5 inches, or roughly the size of a small penis.

So...take a 68 inch TJ. Replace the stock rims that have what..5-6 inch backspacing, and put on a set of decent rims with the standard 3.5inch back spacing. You are now +2 inches on each side that your rims now stick out. Now upgrade your stock 9 inch wide TJ tires with a set of conservative 10.50's. You are now +3/4 inch on each side in tire width, for a total of 1.5 inches.

Your Tj is now 68.2 +4 +1.5

Wow...that just happens to equal 73.7 inches! The exact same width as the JK.

So..How is the stock JK to big to fit down trails when your LIGHTLY modded TJ is at LEAST the same width.

Hell, how wide is Big Lime? Whats it got, 14.50's on 3.5 backs or something? I bet that big b!tch is like 80 - 85 inches wide? I dont him having a shortage of trails to run down.

Even if you add the same mods to a jk, and it ends up being 10 inches wider than a TJ, I still have trouble believeing it wont fit down "most trails in your area". The extra width is NOT going to remove you from very many trails. Especially if you replace your fenders which I am sure most people will.
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.