call me old school - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > call me old school

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

call me old school

hate to say it... but i personally do not care for the the new wrangler, even with its high tech improvements. i go back with the old jeep cj's and presently have a 2003/04 tj and enjoy its bare bones attitude and nostalgic heritage. this new one looks like a liberty to me. i'll keep my metal fenders and bumpers, thank you...cm.

claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
yj_ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonandson
call me old school.
Hey, old school.
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by old school
presently have a 2003/04 tj and enjoy its bare bones attitude and nostalgic heritage.
TJ's bare bones attitude? It's quite luxurious compared to the older jeeps, but it does maintain its nostalgic heritage, as does the JK IMHO.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

just looks too much like all the other bubble cars out there to me. way too much plastic. i mean plastic bumpers on any kind of wrangler......shoot me please.
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
xj-boonie

Doesn't the TJ have plastic bumpers, plastic dash, plastic center console, etc.?
[SIZE=1]1996 XJ Sport, 3" OME lift, 31" BFG AT's, Tom Woods SYE & DS, Amsoil flat filter, Amsoil fluids, Kolak ignition & exhaust, Hidden Hitch hitch, IPF e-codes & Magic-J bulbs, T-case & Gas tank skids, AJ's super rails, C-rok brace, JKS disco's, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000.

1979 CJ5, 258 I6, T18a, glass tub/fenders/hood, 4" BDS lift, 33" BFG MT's[/SIZE]
xj-boonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
92blazn
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-boonie
Doesn't the TJ have plastic bumpers, plastic dash, plastic center console, etc.?

yes, yes it does
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
92blazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

i used to think the new JK's were just "ok"...but they're starting to grow on my...especially the larger 4dr. you just gotta realize that no auto maker is going to keep their vehicles as barebones as the CJs...just like the new mustangs are hightech and all. if we want barebone performance and looks, they know we'll go back and build up a CJ or YJ. but i'd rather Jeep stay in business and keep making vehicles and replacement parts rather than build "old" jeeps and go out of business. it would be cool to see a redone CJ though, lol. just thoughts....

~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
92blazn
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99
i used to think the new JK's were just "ok"...but they're starting to grow on my...especially the larger 4dr. you just gotta realize that no auto maker is going to keep their vehicles as barebones as the CJs...just like the new mustangs are hightech and all. if we want barebone performance and looks, they know we'll go back and build up a CJ or YJ. but i'd rather Jeep stay in business and keep making vehicles and replacement parts rather than build "old" jeeps and go out of business. it would be cool to see a redone CJ though, lol. just thoughts....

~J

Plus, its a good think for some one like me, the Grand is nice and all but we plan on trading it in for a 4 door Rubi, we have 3 kids so it will be alot better, and the wife gets a wrangler, so we kill three birds with one stone, she can transport 3 kids when needed, Daily drive it and do mild wheeling
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
92blazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

sorry guys....mine has no plastic bumpers. i know when to throw in the towel.i'm sure there is someone out here that shares some of my principles. i will admit, even with my employees....change does not go over too well. i still think it looks like a liberty.
Unread 05-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
Ghostjacker

the thing that bothers me most is the look of the front fender flares
Unread 05-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
raidert05
2014 JK Wrangler 

i don't like the swept front end. it takes away the boxiness that one has come to expect from the wranglers.
USN Jeep Club Hull #97
raidert05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Rush
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I read these threads, and wonder to myself...if the internet existed in 87 when the YJ came out, what all the CJ owners would have said about wranglers having square headlights.

I bet jeepers would have been in an absolute uproar over a new-fangled YJ with its square headlights and plastic dashboard!

40 years of roundies...and now SQUARE! BLASPHEMY!!!!

Now Yj's are just as "real" as any other Jeep.

The '07 will be no different.
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
tjboy

I can't say if I like the new Wrangler or not. The plastic fenders do look weak to me, but I do like the look of the front turn signals. I haven't seen one up close yet but when you see a picture of the JK you still know its a Jeep and in the end thats all that matters to me. I own a '46 CJ2A and a '04 Rubicon, they look very different yet the same by design.
Unread 05-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My kids know Jeeps by their factory designations such as CJ, YJ, TJ, XJ etc. They also refer to Libertys as Libby's and Grand Cherokees as "Grands". So i found it funny when they asked me what I intend on calling the new Wranglers. After some thought I told them I will refer to them as "slopys". The fenders/flares slope as do the grills.

Heck, I can't even sit a beer can on them fenders without the can falling off. Now thats piss poor design!
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush
The '07 will be no different.
I will be looking forward for the fuel cell /electric Wrangler to buy for my retirement.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.