cai or snorkle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > cai or snorkle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
benjmjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

cai or snorkle

i have a 2013 rubi wondering what would net me best fuel efficiency and performance overall

benjmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Everything I've ever READ ( Not DONE or EXPERIENCED) said that these things by themselves wouldn't help to the point they would be noticeable. I would love some experience from somebody that actually shows real gains.

From a logical standpoint it wouldn't make sense that you would really see gains in performance just with the CAI or snorkel by themselves. The point is to increase efficiency of air moving through the engine. Adding a CAI or snorkel may help at the front end... But then you have the throttle body, the headers and the exhaust that are still the stock size, meaning they 'pinch back down' in a manner of speaking and you lose all the gainsthat you got by increasing the flow coming in... Because there is limited space for the air getting out. This is my thought process, but as I said... I have no real world experience testing it.
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

Air temp may be cooler, so it may help some, but like you said, the air will bottleneck at the narrowest point.
TWISTEDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

And I also figure that even if you change out the entire line, meaning CAI, improved headers, bigger throttle body, larger exhaust... To really get the most out of the engine you'd need to re-tune the engine. Which probably means a chip or programmer to reset the computer. All in all I would think you might be able to gain... 40 horses?? but for all that aftermarket work you're probably into your engine a grand.
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the narrowest point being the throttle body itself. people tend to forget about the throttle body butterfly. they look at the outside diameter of the throttle body and think they need a larger diameter tube. if the hp were in a direct relationship to the intake tube diameter then running the engine without the filter and intake tubing should result in unlimited power.

if one doesnt waterproof everything else then a snorkle is just and ugly ornament.
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't really think you are going to see any difference at all from either one.

Back in the day I used to think CAI's were good, now I know better. They just are. No performance gain, just sound.

As for the snorkel, the function isn't to feed cold air for power, it is to keep things away from the intake. You will see the largest benefit from these in extremely dusty environments. Sure, if you seal everything up really good you could probably go diving with your rig, but it just isn't really supposed to do that.

Even though. I always thought I would want a snorkel for the "cool" factor. I just can't make myself pull the trigger though.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
benjmjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah my friend was trying to explain it but y'all cef said it better might just stay stock in the engine and regear
benjmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

With the 3.8 you are able to run a bigger throttle body off the Viper V10 and it is direct bolt on and plug in. I believe the difference is something like 54mm to 72mm. Some gains in throttle response were noticed but no one has done a Dyno to prove or disprove whether that ads HP or not.
Not sure if the Viper TB will fit the 3.6 ..
CAIs will make you susceptible to dust and water intake while offroading.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cai is not worth it. A snorkel is a worthwhile investment if you plan on doing any water fording or puddle splashing..
A hydrolocked engine engine is no bueno.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Cai is not worth it. A snorkel is a worthwhile investment if you plan on doing any water fording or puddle splashing..
A hydrolocked engine engine is no bueno.
Is it sad that I secretly wish for hydrolock just to justify a Hemi conversion?

I would leave it all alone unless you really want to splash around. And no real benefit from CAI. One thing for certain: they are both costly investments. I can think of many other ways to spend +/-$300 on my JKU.
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The real "narrow" point in the intake, TB header and exhaust is the cam timing/lift on the valves. That controls total engine airflow. So unless you are into redoing your total airflow path, not much to be gained.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhide34 View Post
Is it sad that I secretly wish for hydrolock just to justify a Hemi conversion?

I would leave it all alone unless you really want to splash around. And no real benefit from CAI. One thing for certain: they are both costly investments. I can think of many other ways to spend +/-$300 on my JKU.
I would wish for the hydrolock myself if it didnt mean additional thousands to get the Hemi lol.

Having hydrolocked a vehicle and having a friend that hydrolocked his lifted JKU in a small amount of water. I am glad I bought a snorkle.

That said I just have to get around to installing it.

If snorkle is the choice you might as well get the breather tube relocation kit. River Raider make a nice one. I choose their cowl snorkle as well. Less of an eye sore to me personally and you don't need a new hood. Good luck
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmjeep View Post
i have a 2013 rubi wondering what would net me best fuel efficiency and performance overall
I did a Superchips and Rugged Ridge snorkel. So far I like it and I don't know if any MPGs were gained considering my speedo/odometer was so far off because of the jump from the small tires to 35s but one of my buddies was telling me he was getting +1-2mpg with the RR snorkel. Even if I got +1mpg least the mods are slowly paying for themselves or at least that's what I tell myself to make myself feel better about always buying crap for the Jeep. The cheap insurance is also a huge reason I went with a snorkel, would rather spend 300 bucks for a precaution than hydro-lock.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Snorkel, it has a functional use. I had an 08 with a CAI and Magnaflow muffler....the 3.8 is what it is, can't really upgrade the performance or MPG, do NOT waist your money trying to!!
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Kichu182
2011 JK Wrangler 

Also, while the snorkel isn't necessarily something that will turn your Jeep into a submarine, it will do something to help with splashy water; unlike a CAI which unless done VERY right will make you more susceptible to hydrolocking
Kichu182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.