Cab cover for use when towing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cab cover for use when towing?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Cab cover for use when towing?

I did a search but didn't find a thread on this. I have a 2-door JK and looking to know if anyone has used a cab cover when flat towing. We sometimes tow the jeep behind the RV and would like to throw the tube doors on this summer but it would be nice to keep some of the rain and road grime off the interior when towing. However, I don't want a cover that is loose or flaps in the wind and chafes the exterior.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've seen covers that protect the upper portion of the cab, but never one that covers rock doors. Perhaps a custom awning place could make one for you.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why not keep the top and doors on until you get where you're going, then put the tube doors on.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the Bestop 81041-09 Charcoal All Weather Trail Cover for my 4 door and I know they have them for 2 doors as well. Mine straps to the undercarriage on the sides and the back. The front just slips down to the bottom edge of the windshield. You may be able to punch some grommets along the edge so you could fasten the front. It's a very heavy fabric, actually heavier than what I was expecting for my intended use but it might hold up to being towed.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The problem with open market covers is that they are made to be easy to put on and take off with several different top choices (ie hard or soft factory, bikini, bimini etc). This makes them poor choices for towing as they will flap and chaff simply because they are not tight and do not control air flow THROUGH the covered vehicle...

I had a tow cover made that goes around the cowl a full 4 inches ahead of the windshield (also covers the grate in the cowl to stop air from going into the cabin through there) and all the way down the sill line. The bottom cinches in 6 places down the side, sealing to the splash panels and the back is vented. This causes the air pressure to push the cover to the metal - while the venting allows the LOW air pressure inside (caused by the vacuum behind the vehicle while moving) to seal the sides. No flapping - but must be put on in a specific manner so throwing it on while on trail and caught in a downpour is not as easy as the besttop for example. Doable but I am always the last of the group to be covered - by twice as long as the next to last! Fair trade off though... mines the only one I have seen that tows without flapping.

The guy that made it for me specializes in boat towing covers... and just followed the same logic there - seal the front against air entry, keep the sides tight over the top and back vented and let the air do the work - and took about a week to custom cut all the pieces to hit all the exact points needed to accomplish. Not cheap though at 950 - but the fabric is super lightweight and marine grade for high UV protection. When trailered at 70 the cover looks like its vacuum wrapped to the Jeep - no flapping or chaffing! Not sure about how well it would do in the vacuum behind an RV though... my trailer DOES have a big box on front - but its no taller than the hood so the windshield is still up in a very high pressure area.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
augichef

Not sure if this would work my cover has wide straps with metal locking hooks to tie it down.

image-223715588.jpg

Here you can see how it goes past the corner lights unlike other covers

image-2502455856.jpg

Here is how far down it goes over the windshield
image-987845659.jpg

Augi
augichef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augichef View Post
Not sure if this would work my cover has wide straps with metal locking hooks to tie it down.
Where the windshield and cowl join is an EXTREMELY high pressure area while moving forward. When the cover ends anywhere on the WS or just at the bottom of it - that high pressure will lift the cover and allow the air flow through it - causing the ballooning and flapping. To make that cover non flapping would require adding about 8 inches so that the the fabric comes down the windshield and onto the cowl - that way the high pressure forces it to seal rather than lift. Thats the whole key to a towing cover! - no air in from front - only air out at the back. The air pressure difference (high outside - low inside) seals it!
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
augichef

I'm sure there could be a way to add fabric to my cover not to mention there is a center strap on the bottom of the windshield fabric. There you should be able to slide down into the engine compartment and strapped down to stop it from moving. 175 for the cover maybe another 60-75 in extra fabric and sewn, so just under 250.
So with the strap and extra material could this work? Hmm gears are turning now..
Augi
augichef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augichef View Post
I'm sure there could be a way to add fabric to my cover not to mention there is a center strap on the bottom of the windshield fabric. There you should be able to slide down into the engine compartment and strapped down to stop it from moving. 175 for the cover maybe another 60-75 in extra fabric and sewn, so just under 250.
So with the strap and extra material could this work? Hmm gears are turning now..
Augi
You are heading in the right direction! Just 6-8 more inches in front of existing hem should do the trick (and accommodate pockets for the lights to be covered as well). Rather than go fwd to engine compartment go AROUND - as far fwd on the added flap as you can and straps down to frame. This will allow you to pull it tight down to the cowl and keep air from getting under (but be careful that you have no space at the side fronts - I had to go under between the rock rails and splash sill to get the side gapless). Magnetic strips work to help keep the seal down the sides if you can't strap it sealed.

The best ideas are usually discovered while driving down the road. Look at how soft side trailers (like Lexus uses to deliver) are sealed in and secured! Then compare that to the guy driving with a tarp flapping. Spot the differences...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.