Buying new 09 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying new 09 JK

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
stormrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 29
Buying new 09 JK

hey guys I'm stationed overseas right now and came across a killer deal on a new 09 wrangler. I figured I'd ask some opinions on it first. I'm looking at building a black 2 door X model with the S package.

I added the power group with the full doors But decided to leave the soft top since I live in CA and there isn't really a need for the hard top. Do any of you have that set up? Does it look wierd with the top down and the full doors on (pics would be cool)? Most likely I will end up just taking the doors off most the time anyway so is it even worth getting the power windows and door lock option?

The only other extra options that I decided to add so far are tinted windows for the soft top and the 3.73 axle gear ratio for better power with the stock 32's it comes with. I just want to hear some opinions on this set up and want to see what other people went with. Eventually I will put on a 4-5" lift with 35s or 37s, but that will be down the road when I can manage to afford it.

This will be my 3rd wrangler, so I'm no newby but I still would like to hear some opinions since I never bought brand new before. I got a good price through the military of $20,793 which is $4,762 under MSRP.

Sorry for the long post but this is one of the most expensive decisions I've ever made.

(See updates on my last post in this thread!)

__________________
The pic is my old 89 YJ, I currently own a '90 VW Corrado. I just ordered a black 2 door Rubicon that should be ready upon return from my deployment.

Last edited by stormrider; 02-03-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Fixed the pricing.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
dstephns
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 394
Hey man welcome! I think it looks ok with full doors and top down. Also, alot of people that did not get power with the 4 door say they wish they had. Not as bad with the 2dr though. Good luck I think you will love your new jeep whichever way you decide.
__________________
2008 2Dr Rubicon, Jeep Green/Kaki, Hard Top, Auto, Power Convenience Grp, Tow Pkg.
mini mods: Mastercraft Grab Handles, padded center console armrest, 14" black shorty antenna,
Husky Cargo liner, Seatglovers Front neoprene seat covers.
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
wrestlerobx
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OBX is home, Ft Bragg is where Im stuck
Posts: 1,341
hey man i got the hard top but i drive back from mother rucker to home a lot. however the soft with the full doors looks good especially lifted, u r gonna love it as far as your price you could prbly get more than 4200 off msrp but idk how it comes out to 21000 anyway its a great jeep and runs great you are gonna be happy with it but def get the power pckg bc the disconnect is so easy and it makes life easier

what service???
wrestlerobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
stormrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 29
I'm in the Air Force stationed at Al Udeid, Qatar right now. Thanks for the replys, I'm going to lock in the price today in a little bit, I can always tweek the options a little bit in the next couple weeks without much hassle. Locking it in at the current price means that if the current incentives go down I'm guaranteed this price but I am entitled to any new rebates if they become better.
__________________
The pic is my old 89 YJ, I currently own a '90 VW Corrado. I just ordered a black 2 door Rubicon that should be ready upon return from my deployment.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
kdubu
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SoGaNoFla
Posts: 22
Full Door 2008

It doesn't look too bad with full dors and the top down!!!!
jeep5a.jpg  
__________________
'08 Wrangler JK
It's BLACK and I miss my '04 Buccaneer Pewter! TJ
But...I love it! Mostly stock with some cosmo mods. I'm workin' on it! The "X" is long gone.
The Golf Hole - "Climb On In!"
"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity." Plato
kdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
stormrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubu View Post
It doesn't look too bad with full dors and the top down!!!!
It looks good thanks for the pic. I just put in the order for mine earlier today. I get back from my deployment in Early May but my jeep won't be ready untill the beginning of July. I'm going to be anxiously waiting untill then!

Did any of you get the upgraded 7 speaker infinity and subwoofer sound package? If so, do you think it was worth the extra money? It wasn't too much extra so I added it to the build.
__________________
The pic is my old 89 YJ, I currently own a '90 VW Corrado. I just ordered a black 2 door Rubicon that should be ready upon return from my deployment.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
wrestlerobx
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OBX is home, Ft Bragg is where Im stuck
Posts: 1,341
yeah i got the the sound package and it was worth it i love it man...Air Force huh thats cool whats your job
wrestlerobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
kdubu
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SoGaNoFla
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
It looks good thanks for the pic. I just put in the order for mine earlier today. I get back from my deployment in Early May but my jeep won't be ready untill the beginning of July. I'm going to be anxiously waiting untill then!

Did any of you get the upgraded 7 speaker infinity and subwoofer sound package? If so, do you think it was worth the extra money? It wasn't too much extra so I added it to the build.
My nephew is Air Force stationed in Kuwait. He's a good kid and I'm proud of what he's doing. Thank you for all you guys do. I don't think we can say it enough...Thank You So Much!! And...come home safe...you will love your new Jeep!!!
__________________
'08 Wrangler JK
It's BLACK and I miss my '04 Buccaneer Pewter! TJ
But...I love it! Mostly stock with some cosmo mods. I'm workin' on it! The "X" is long gone.
The Golf Hole - "Climb On In!"
"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity." Plato
kdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
stormrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubu View Post
My nephew is Air Force stationed in Kuwait. He's a good kid and I'm proud of what he's doing. Thank you for all you guys do. I don't think we can say it enough...Thank You So Much!! And...come home safe...you will love your new Jeep!!!
Hey thanks man, it means alot. I know I will love my Jeep, I can't wait to take it on its first wheeling trip!

Quote:
yeah i got the the sound package and it was worth it i love it man...Air Force huh thats cool whats your job
I'm a C-5 Crew Chief stationed at Travis AFB in Nor Cal. I'm deployed in Qatar doing a special duty other than my job right now though and it's extremely boring and I can't wait to get back to my real job. I can't deny though, it is almost like a form of vaction in a weird way.

I see you're in the army training to be a helicopter pilot, thats awesome man! How are you liking the 4 door? I almost had second thought after ordering my 2 door. I've had a CJ7 and a YJ before this jeep and a 2 door Camaro and Corrado so I am very used to this set up, but it seems that 2 doors are a dying breed for the wrangler right now.
__________________
The pic is my old 89 YJ, I currently own a '90 VW Corrado. I just ordered a black 2 door Rubicon that should be ready upon return from my deployment.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler
 
RockyClymer's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,441
Nice to hear from you and thanks for all you guys do!
I have the S package and it should come with 3.73 gears, tow package, 17"x7.5" rims and 32" tires. Hope they don't charge you twice for those! Come home safe
Richard LCDR USN (retired)
__________________
08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
wrestlerobx
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OBX is home, Ft Bragg is where Im stuck
Posts: 1,341
yup im loving ft rucker... the 4 dr is awesome, i had a ZJ before so i like 4 doors but off road it rides awesome i had a friend today stuck in a mud hole and i ended up pulling him all the way through(he had a 2 wheel drive ford) my jk is stock for now but they are awesome on road and off

crew cheif hell yeah man good luck
you are gonna be stoked on your jk when you get back
wrestlerobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
cab76
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 493
Sounds like you already put your order in, but I'll give my 2 pennies anyways in case you will be moving options around - guaranteed to love your JK regardless! If you're eventually planning to go w/35s or 37s, I wouldn't worry about upgrading to 3.73s as you're going to want to change those out eventually anyways and the stock gears will do OK w/the 32s on a 2-dr, especially if you're going w/a manual trans. Also, I have the 4dr and love the power windows, but if I had a 2-dr I wouldn't bother - particularly if you take the doors off a lot. I'm in NorCal also and agree that the hard top isn't needed. That said - I have the dual tops package and it is nice to have the hard top for trips to Tahoe in the winter. Finally, I also have the sound upgrade package and am happy with it. If I were you though, I would just build up the sound system - you can definitely build up a better system if you go aftermarket and I've never liked the subwoofer placement - too exposed to the elements and prying eyes. As I said - just my 2 cents - you'll be happy regardless. As others have said - thanks for your service overseas - get back safe so you can enjoy your new Jeep!
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #13
stormrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76 View Post
Sounds like you already put your order in, but I'll give my 2 pennies anyways in case you will be moving options around - guaranteed to love your JK regardless! If you're eventually planning to go w/35s or 37s, I wouldn't worry about upgrading to 3.73s as you're going to want to change those out eventually anyways and the stock gears will do OK w/the 32s on a 2-dr, especially if you're going w/a manual trans. Also, I have the 4dr and love the power windows, but if I had a 2-dr I wouldn't bother - particularly if you take the doors off a lot. I'm in NorCal also and agree that the hard top isn't needed. That said - I have the dual tops package and it is nice to have the hard top for trips to Tahoe in the winter. Finally, I also have the sound upgrade package and am happy with it. If I were you though, I would just build up the sound system - you can definitely build up a better system if you go aftermarket and I've never liked the subwoofer placement - too exposed to the elements and prying eyes. As I said - just my 2 cents - you'll be happy regardless. As others have said - thanks for your service overseas - get back safe so you can enjoy your new Jeep!
Hey thanks for the advice man, I did think about all that stuff alot. As far as the gears go, it was only about $40 extra for the 3.73, and it may be quite some time before I come up with enough spare money to do what I want to it.

For the power convenience group, I was thinking that it really isn't necassary at all because most likely I will have the doors off alot but when they are on it will be nice haha. I was also considering the dual top group but it's about $1500 extra. I would love it for the snowboarding trips to tahoe for sure, but I still live in the dorms on base and have no storage when it's not in use. My CJ7 had soft top and soft doors only and I made it through MA winters just fine, and that was with the almost non existent CJ heater lol.

Lasty, I was wondering alot about the sound package and where the sub was actually located. Do you have any pics of it?

I still can change some options around if I want since the order hasn't even been processed through the factory yet, but I will most likely stay with my initial options. I wish there was an option to switch out the front Dana 30 for a 44 though without having to get a rubicon.
__________________
The pic is my old 89 YJ, I currently own a '90 VW Corrado. I just ordered a black 2 door Rubicon that should be ready upon return from my deployment.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
wrestlerobx
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OBX is home, Ft Bragg is where Im stuck
Posts: 1,341
its located on the right side of the rear and it doesnt take up much room ill see if i can get some pics up later today
wrestlerobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
cab76
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
Hey thanks for the advice man, I did think about all that stuff alot. As far as the gears go, it was only about $40 extra for the 3.73, and it may be quite some time before I come up with enough spare money to do what I want to it.

For the power convenience group, I was thinking that it really isn't necassary at all because most likely I will have the doors off alot but when they are on it will be nice haha. I was also considering the dual top group but it's about $1500 extra. I would love it for the snowboarding trips to tahoe for sure, but I still live in the dorms on base and have no storage when it's not in use. My CJ7 had soft top and soft doors only and I made it through MA winters just fine, and that was with the almost non existent CJ heater lol.

Lasty, I was wondering alot about the sound package and where the sub was actually located. Do you have any pics of it?

I still can change some options around if I want since the order hasn't even been processed through the factory yet, but I will most likely stay with my initial options. I wish there was an option to switch out the front Dana 30 for a 44 though without having to get a rubicon.
Now it's all making sense - I think you made a good choice with your options - the power windows are nice. Sorry no pics of the sub - maybe someone else will post up. It doesn't take up that much room because it is a pretty small enclosure/sub - I would much rather have it hidden, though - like the TJ's center console location. Re the D44 - check the forums - I see them for sale fairly cheap every now and then from people that are going even bigger.
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.