Buying a JK :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying a JK :)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Buying a JK :)

Ok so I'm selling my 86 CJ7 for a JK. Im looking at 2 JKs but don't know which to go with. '08 Jk Rubicon or '13 JK sport new? Please help me I've heard 08 jks got a bad engine or w.e idk I'm confused

Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The 08 has the 3.8L and the 13 has the newer Pentastar...do some research to see which would be best for you. The Rubi will come with a lot of goodies that the Sport will not - electric sway bar disconnect, electric lockers f/r D44 front and rear and a 4.1 tcase...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Are you looking for a 2dr or 4dr?

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

If your planning on regear and just changing everything down the road than get the sport, no reason for a rubi since it will all be replaced. If you want something because of the name get the rubi. It you want something with power stock get the 13
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wanna get a 2 door, hard top. N I'm looking for a powerful Jeep and yea I know the 08 didn't have the good power engine but being a rubi wouldn't it compensate it? N I know all the extra goodies the rubi has over the sport that's why my issues is on the power of the 3.8 over the new 3.6
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

The Rubicon doesn't have any additional power. For me, the issue would be the mileage difference, unless grandma owned it.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The horsepower might not matter much depending on the kind of wheeling you do. On the street and mountain roads, it will definetly make a difference. I have an 08 and at times it is underpowered but offroad it is more than enough. The lower gearing in the Rubicon T-case will make crawling much easier vs. a Sport model.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
outbackfarmer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will end up modding it anyway. Just get the new one! It amazes me how well these Jk' s hold their value. After looking at a few used ones, i just picked up a new 13 freedom edition and love it. Put the 2.5 aev lift and xrc front and rear bumpers yesterday. Tires/wheels should be in tomorrow or Thursday. You should look into the freedom edition, it is a sport with some nice features at a package price. I looked at rubi's and decked Sahara's and could have afforded either, but as soon as I set in a freedom, I had to have one. The interior rocks.
2013 JK Unlimited Freedom Edition mods underway! / 1998 Wrangler 4.0 Auto 4" Lift ProComp 33's / 2006 Z06 Corvette Supercharged Le Mans Blue / 2010 ZR1 Corvette Blade Silver 710HP Lingenfilter / DD 2011 Longhorn Mega Ram 4X4 / DD 2012 Tahoe LTZ 4X4
outbackfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
ZBRA

Did your CJ have a 4-cylinder in it? If so, you are already used to the level of performance you will get from the 3.8L. That's about an even comparison to the 3.8L. Having owned an '07 with the 3.8L and a '13 with the 3.6L, I will never own another 3.8L ever. I'll take a 4.0L TJ with 150,000 miles on it before I drive another 3.8L Jeep. They are absolutely painfully underpowered.

Off road, the 3.8L is fine though. If building a trailered trail rig, save your money and get the 3.8L. If you will ever ever ever drive it on the street, even once, don't buy any 3.8L Jeep.

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

No my Cj7 is a 6 in line, n wow thanks for the great feed baq guys! For the looks of it I mite just go with the new 2013 sport. I can't get to crazy with which model cause I wanna finance it n pay for it slowly. N I don't wanna jump over a 300+ bill a month lol
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

The 3.8 with a manual and the right gears work fine in all reality. I did not like the Rubi witht he 4.10 gears, 5.13s have made me way happier. I wont jump to get a new engine except for the possibilty of diesel one day. Some of the unseen Rubi goodies are the lockers and the D44 up front. Can save you a bunch of money in the long road. If you don't think you need it though then no worries I guess.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBRA View Post
Did your CJ have a 4-cylinder in it? If so, you are already used to the level of performance you will get from the 3.8L. That's about an even comparison to the 3.8L. Having owned an '07 with the 3.8L and a '13 with the 3.6L, I will never own another 3.8L ever. I'll take a 4.0L TJ with 150,000 miles on it before I drive another 3.8L Jeep. They are absolutely painfully underpowered.

Off road, the 3.8L is fine though. If building a trailered trail rig, save your money and get the 3.8L. If you will ever ever ever drive it on the street, even once, don't buy any 3.8L Jeep.

not even close.

my YJ had an MPFI I4 which carried more power than a CJ's carbed I4 and the JK 3.8 still makes that MPFI variant look like a turtle.

these exaggerations may be accurate for a built 4door with the 42RLE, but my 6spd 2dr JK scoots along faster then my CJ's AMC V8 did.

might have to do with my low elevation down here, but I doubt it makes that big of a difference.
whatever the case, palease. The 3.8 is no powerhouse, but it is no where near that of the gutlessness of the old inline4s. If you're comparing it to an old 4 cylinder Jeep, you've never driven a 4 cylinder Jeep before.

In his case, he's looking at 2doors, the 3.8 being a Rubi with lower gears and the 3.6 being a sport, the difference would be drastically less then most would lead on. At least, when I test drove several 3.6s, they were not terribly better and I'm rocking a sport.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Honestly I live in south Florida. And I go off road (to the everglades) once and a while. My CJ7 the few times I've taken her out has never gotten me stuck any where she couldn't get her self out. That's why I'm leaning more to the rubi for the front end 44 n locking hubs since my CJ7 did have lockers and 44 in the back and 30 infront. But 1 of the many reasons why I'm selling my CJ7 for a JK is cause my top speed is 55 and honestly I hate taken longer than usual to get places. Also why I am on this forum asking you guys for advice is cause once I choose this JK that's gonna be my baby till I'm an old **** cause I love Jeeps and I wouldn't go baq to anything else
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's why I wanna know the good and bad of 3.8 over a 3.6. I guess I should start test driving them and seeing for myself
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind the electric disconnect is a huge peice of junk it WILL fail ! However for $100 you buy the EVO manual screw attach with three bolts and forget about electric.

The rubi is worth every dollar for the d40 front and rear axles, lockers and 4:10 gearing.

If you buy a "x" and are in limited budget or funds you will regrett the D30 and no lockers and useless gearing $5000 at least to obtain what the rubi already has. If you want to run 35's it would be a bit risky on D30

08 is far less computer intergrated than the Penstar. Mark my words people will curse and regrett the Penstar when all those electrics start screwing up.

08 is a minivan motor, tried tested and millions produced, cheap easy available parts, and easy peasy to find new motors cheap.

Power wise i cant speak for the penstar but my 3.8 has lots for off roading, put in 4 Lo and its not even worth discussing, completely capable. On road it is fine with a hypertech programmer on 87 octane setting runnin 35" tires
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.