Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 07-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please

Hello Jeep Forum Guru's,

I want to add some backup lights to my rear bumper area. My replacement LED tail lights just aren't bright enough for me to see properly at night, esp with the tinted windows. Other people can tell I'm in reverse, but I can't see behind me so well.

My thoughts are to add some of the 4 LED flood type lights to the bumper in an area where they aren't as likely to get knocked off, but I would prefer not to spend big bucks on it.

Does anyone have some LED light suggestions for the bumper or tire carried that you're happy with?

I was thinking something along these lines of the Pro Comp 2x2 Square LED Flood Lights as a pair. I don't know how many lumen these are or how bright, but they've got to be better than what I have now.

These are slightly less cost than the RIGID versions. I can place these at the far end of the bumpers where the tire carrier arm won't knock them off etc.

Thanks for your input before I pull the trigger on the July 4th weekend sales.

Also I'm interested in these products if you have opinions or experiences, thx in advance:

Poisen Spyder PSC17-04-112 License Plate Delete Plug

Rock Hard RFPRH4006

Smittybuilt S/B4430 Front License Plate Bracket

TeraFlex TER4808401 Mud Flaps

Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

This thread may help?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/e...hting-3066969/
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Prot
2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is one way to do it.

http://www.rigidlife.com/jeep-wrangl...-flush-mounts/
Unread 07-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey thanks, I appreciate the link!

I have expensive LED tail lights, they just aren't bright enough, I would need to do some serious hacks for this flush mount.

It just occurred to me, that I might can use the actual tire carrier arms for a place to mount lights.

Any thoughts on that? Anyone doing that or the spare tire wheel area?

Unread Yesterday, 01:52 AM   #5
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I gave some cheap LED floods off Ebay a go.....I think $35 for a pair, with freight. 5 x LED globes in a flat square housing IP67 waterproof. I've had them on for probably 6 months now, they work great as back up lights (not wired to the reverse, separately switched).

LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:42 AM   #6
Prot
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP
I gave some cheap LED floods off Ebay a go.....I think $35 for a pair, with freight. 5 x LED globes in a flat square housing IP67 waterproof. I've had them on for probably 6 months now, they work great as back up lights (not wired to the reverse, separately switched).
What are they attached to and how?
Unread Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #7
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

Look at his other pics in his photobucket album and you can see how he used the supplied hw to attach to his fancy swing arm. That's a right nice rig you have there.

Meee likey.

Hey can you dredge up the link to the lights off ebay for me please? And lets talk about those mud flaps, you make or buy?

I have this TUFF STUFF JK ROCK CRAWLER REAR BUMPER & TIRE CARRIER

On the far left and right are places that look like I can mount some LED BU lights. Maybe another 1 or 2 up high in the wheel on the arm unless I go with those monstroso ebay lights.

Unread Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZORBILL View Post
This thread is how I plan to do my backup lights!
I agree, with tinted windows, the stock backup lights + the LEDs in my PSC bumper just don't do the trick.
The PSC rear bumper LEDs are perfect for rear illumination when I am hooking up the trailer at night. But not enough when trying to reverse at night.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #9
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

RAZORBILL bought this pair from Amazon and at that price I'm willing to add some silicon and other waterproofing. That's a hella lotta light in those pics.

I might go with the Nilight 2pcs 18w Cree Flood Led Work Light instead for better dispersion.

Unread Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #10
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
RAZORBILL bought this pair from Amazon and at that price I'm willing to add some silicon and other waterproofing. That's a hella lotta light in those pics.

I might go with the Nilight 2pcs 18w Cree Flood Led Work Light instead for better dispersion.

For less than $30 I'd say they already paid for themselves since putting them on last winter. I have that pair you listed on my truck mounted in the fog light locations. I bought a single for the Jeep back-up light. I did add some silicone to the seams just to help but honestly it appears the gaskets they have would do the trick by themselves. They have seen no shortage of rain and I have had no issues with fogged up lenses, they just work. Anyway, still completely happy with the "cheap" lights. I couldn't bring myself to drop crazy coin on name brand stuff.
Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #11
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

THX!

One of the reasons I quoted your installation is that you actually get more rain that I do. So if yours doesn't leak, I should be fine.

I've never been to your neck of the woods, just over toward Quinault and Queets.

Thanks for sharing your info again, much appreciated.

Unread Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #12
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
THX!

One of the reasons I quoted your installation is that you actually get more rain that I do. So if yours doesn't leak, I should be fine.

I've never been to your neck of the woods, just over toward Quinault and Queets.

Thanks for sharing your info again, much appreciated.

Dry as all get out now unfortunately. At least it doesn't get too hot, we seem to stay 15-20 degrees cooler than the Seattle area. Beautiful area out here if you ever get a chance. We're making the move to the UP of Michigan in a few weeks (Coast Guard) so I'll see how these lights handle snow & salt. Good luck with whatever set up you go with! Happy Fourth, stay safe!
Unread Today, 02:43 AM   #13
mrsig
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.