Buying advice, please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying advice, please...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Super1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Buying advice, please...

Im committed to buying a used four door Jeep Unlimited, 2007 or newer and I want to spend under $20k.

The Jeep would be used mostly for a five mile ride driving to-and-from work, but I plan on taking it on the beach about 10 times a year and on trails (nothing too serious) a few times a year too.

This is my plan and, not being a Jeep owner, Id like other opinions:

Buy a used Jeep Unlimited X with about 30K-50K, off lease or such. That should run about $18K.

Lift the Jeep 2 with a spacer/shock kit, $300.

Replace stock steel wheels/tires with Pro Comp 17 rims and 285/70/17 tires, $1,200.

Add a Trailer Hitch, $200.

Maybe later Ill replace the front bumper with something more rugged later on.

So, whats wrong with that plan?

Super1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like an ideal plan for someone with your intentions... a 2-3" lifted JK with 33s can handle its own out on the trails (esp. "mild" ones like your plan states) and the beach.

Be careful the more serious "mod bug" doesn't bite you and get you into more expensive lifts, 35s (minimum), which leads to re-gearing and other stuff, bumpers, fenders, etc.

If you have some self control though, your plan sounds great!

My only suggestion would be to get a 6-speed and/or get the best set of gears you can get in the rig to start with. The 3.xx gears just suck IMO, especially with an auto, and if you plan to tow, you want the best gear you can get. Doing it with 3.xx gears isn't going to go to well, without turning OD off, which maybe you should do anyway, I don't know b/c I don't tow. Anyway, if you can score a 6-speed with 3.73 (would be livable - much better than 3.21 but believe this combo is rare and only a more recent option) or 4.10 gears (better yet) or the automatic with 4.10 gears, you should be OK with the 33s, and your plans, including some light towing. Not sure exactly which jeeps came with 4.10 other than the Rubi, but i think there are some non-Rubi's with 4.10s to start out there - tow package option or otherwise.

Don't expect a speed demon or anything, ever, in a Jeep, but it will get around fine.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockin7 View Post
Not sure exactly which jeeps came with 4.10 other than the Rubi, but i think there are some non-Rubi's with 4.10s to start out there - tow package option or otherwise.
in '07, all models of Unlimited that have either auto transmission, or factory tow package came with 4.10's

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
in '07, all models of Unlimited that have either auto transmission, or factory tow package came with 4.10's
There you go, OP. If you truly are looking for a used one, I would look for one of these 07s, but that's just my opinion.

One thing to be careful of though, is that some of the very early 07s had D35 rear axles (maybe not 4-door, but definitely some 2 doors?) - and you want none of that. So make sure whatever you get has a D44 rear axle...
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Super1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, everyone.
Super1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.