Buying 08 X w/auto 3.73 gears and 17x7.5 Tire size question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying 08 X w/auto 3.73 gears and 17x7.5 Tire size question

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Buying 08 X w/auto 3.73 gears and 17x7.5 Tire size question

HI everyone and thanks ahead of time. I'm new to Jeep Wranglers and I'm going to order an 08 X 2dr with auto and 3.73 diff. My understanding is that the tire diameter on the stock X's is 28" (?). I'm thinking of going with the 17X 7.5 and the stock Rubicon tires 32" diameter tires. My off roading will be mostly on snowy and muddy rutted forest roads and some pretty long highway grades 6% or so - nothing spectacular and not 4 wheel drive. Am I going to take a big hit with highway driving with the 17x7.5 wheels and 32" diameter tires w/3.73 diff? If so can you recomend a tire size (other than stock X) that I would see little negative impact. Also, should I just keep the stockers and don't worry about it. They just look a little small to me. Everything else will remain stock. Thanks.

dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
UTAH

Welcome to the forum, dstephns.

Your drivability should be just fine with 32" tires and that axle ratio (3.73). Having said that, there're a few things I think you could do to keep your JK more highway friendly.

For one thing, I don't know if I'd go with the stock Rubi tires. They're GY MT/R's - which give a harsher ride and don't do as well on the street as ATs (performance-wise and MPG-wise). Don't get me wrong, GY MT/R's are a great tough off road tire and I like 'em. I just see your concerns about "highway driving" and think a good AT tire (like the BFG AT or Pro-Comp AT) might be a better fit.

Bill
Unread 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. Thats the exact info I'm looking for. By the way I really enjoy reading these forums. They're alot help for us newbys and thanks for the welcome!
Unread 07-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Dannyboy18

Ever think of trying the new Pro Comp Xtreme A/T? They are in between the Pro Comp A/T and M/T.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
LakeTravisJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did something similiar with my 2-dr 07 JK. I have the 4.10 w/ auto. I originally had the 225's(29.2") and upgraded to 265x75xR16 BFG AT's(~31.5"). With the original small rubber, the acceleration seemed pretty good and the gas milage averaged ~17-17.5 mpg. Now with the larger rubber, the acceleration seems a bit slower, but the big change is the overdrive is completely useless for most of my driving. I turn it off with the switch each time I start it. The gas milage is now ~16 mpg or 1-1.5 mpg worse than stock rubber.
but I do enjoy the improved off-road performance!
LakeTravisJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again everyone

I think I will still go with a little bigger wheel and tire than the stock. You guys are great I really appreciate the responses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.