Buying a 07 jk - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying a 07 jk

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
My friends 03 wrangler just needed new head gaskets and burns oil but I don't think he even knows how to check his oil. I'm not coming from a hemi so I'm not worried about power since I think my American bulldog has more power than my v6 wk. I like the soft top just because of lack of space to store the hard top when its off.

I have heard there are many many regear options for these so I don't think it would be to much hassle to set it up the way it should have been off the line. Especially since I'm taking my 33's off of my wk and will be swapping them over.

Basically it's this or find a regular cab truck and I really wanna stay with the jeeps!!

Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
towel33
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 8
I payed 21K for an 07 Sahara JKU 2 in 2010 but it only had 10000 miles on it. Mine still hasn't broken 50K. If I were getting into a bone stock 2 dr x with 60K+ today they'd have to go way lower than 16K, particularly in the NE where you have to deal with salt and crap on the roads.
towel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by towel33
I payed 21K for an 07 Sahara JKU 2 in 2010 but it only had 10000 miles on it. Mine still hasn't broken 50K. If I were getting into a bone stock 2 dr x with 60K+ today they'd have to go way lower than 16K, particularly in the NE where you have to deal with salt and crap on the roads.
I'm definitly going to try and talk them down since ill be at a lose with my wk
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Utah_Jay
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Murray, Utah
Posts: 213
Reading the comments in this thread make me laugh. They make it sound like the overwhelming majority of early JK's have problems when just the opposite it true. I will not dispute there are some that have burned more oil than they should. Rest assured this is a VERY small percentage of vehicles out there. As somebody said I would stay away from synthetic as it generally does burn easier than dino oil. I would also make sure you use a 10w30 oil. Not sure why Jeep put a 20 weight oil in these but it is too thin. In my opinion it is too thin for any car engine out there. The 3.8 is a proven engine. Sure Jeep geared these things wrong but it isn't that bad. The 07 auto will have 410's in it already as they all came with them that year. I am running 285/70/17 and can do 75-80 on the freeway with no issues. The only time I feel I am geared too high is when I am going up a canyon. I admit we have some steep grades here in Utah and I can only run about 45-50 up some of these freeways, but then again I don't drive them all that much so who cares.

I can tell you this, you will have issues with ANY make and model of vehicle on the road today. It is just the way it is. Honda had issues with transmissions for awhile, Ford had issues with spark plugs for many years of their trucks, Early FJ's have issues with the 3rd member braking when in 4WD and the list goes on. If you like the vehicle and it has been cared for go for it.
__________________
2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
Utah_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Jay
Reading the comments in this thread make me laugh. They make it sound like the overwhelming majority of early JK's have problems when just the opposite it true. I will not dispute there are some that have burned more oil than they should. Rest assured this is a VERY small percentage of vehicles out there. As somebody said I would stay away from synthetic as it generally does burn easier than dino oil. I would also make sure you use a 10w30 oil. Not sure why Jeep put a 20 weight oil in these but it is too thin. In my opinion it is too thin for any car engine out there. The 3.8 is a proven engine. Sure Jeep geared these things wrong but it isn't that bad. The 07 auto will have 410's in it already as they all came with them that year. I am running 285/70/17 and can do 75-80 on the freeway with no issues. The only time I feel I am geared too high is when I am going up a canyon. I admit we have some steep grades here in Utah and I can only run about 45-50 up some of these freeways, but then again I don't drive them all that much so who cares.

I can tell you this, you will have issues with ANY make and model of vehicle on the road today. It is just the way it is. Honda had issues with transmissions for awhile, Ford had issues with spark plugs for many years of their trucks, Early FJ's have issues with the 3rd member braking when in 4WD and the list goes on. If you like the vehicle and it has been cared for go for it.
Thank you! I felt like everything else find want me to join the dark side lol
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
insaneinline
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: york, pa
Posts: 158
If you see a jeep that you like and it checks out and you can afford it then buy it , sometimes you can over think a situation or a purchase but you really need to base it on what you like and how it fits your needs . I would find yourself a jeep and save up and get a beater standard cab long bed truck for hauling stuff and use it like a truck have the best of both worlds plus a back up vehicle just my opinion . Remember this probably won't be your last vehicle purchase either

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline
If you see a jeep that you like and it checks out and you can afford it then buy it , sometimes you can over think a situation or a purchase but you really need to base it on what you like and how it fits your needs . I would find yourself a jeep and save up and get a beater standard cab long bed truck for hauling stuff and use it like a truck have the best of both worlds plus a back up vehicle just my opinion . Remember this probably won't be your last vehicle purchase either

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Definitly not my last lol I'm only 21 so there's not too much saving up for me but i need to get this wk out of the driveway. Also I don't hall much as long as I have room for a cooler I'm happy
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?
 
FreeLantz's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Meadows Place, Texas
Posts: 194
I've been really happy with my '07 and had no problems so far. I bought it November 1 of last year with 41k miles. I've got the 4.10 rear end too and love it.

$16,000 sounds about right as that is what I paid for mine via a friend who is a buyer for a dealership. It would have listed for $18,000 or so on the lot.
__________________
David Lantz
2007 JK "Dirt Devil"
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization - Sugar Land Chapter

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
FreeLantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #24
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Also the description states it has a Dana 44 HD rear axle. Is this standard?
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Utah_Jay
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Murray, Utah
Posts: 213
Yes d44 is standard in the rear.
__________________
2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
Utah_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Jay
Yes d44 is standard in the rear.
Thanks
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
I'm guessing nobody makes upper door sliders yet right?
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sussex, new jersey
Posts: 4,801
see if you can get the maintanance records.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
PaXJ
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lancaster Pa, Pennsylvania
Posts: 94
Bought the wife a 2007 JKU in Oct 06. It's an auto with 4.10 gears and the 245/75/16 tires with alloy wheels. Currently she's got 53K miles on it, and it does not use any more than 1/2 qt oil in 3000 miles.
In the time we've had it the following was done:
2007 Radio intermittantly shut off. Replaced under warranty. No problems since.
2010 Lost power, dash lited up and went into limp mode. After unsucsesful reflashs found the TIPM had corrosion on the terminals. Replaced TIPM and harness under warranty. No problems since.
2012 Lost steering. Replaced the steering box and pump under warranty. No problems since.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Tbonfire
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canastota, NEW YORK
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaXJ
Bought the wife a 2007 JKU in Oct 06. It's an auto with 4.10 gears and the 245/75/16 tires with alloy wheels. Currently she's got 53K miles on it, and it does not use any more than 1/2 qt oil in 3000 miles.
In the time we've had it the following was done:
2007 Radio intermittantly shut off. Replaced under warranty. No problems since.
2010 Lost power, dash lited up and went into limp mode. After unsucsesful reflashs found the TIPM had corrosion on the terminals. Replaced TIPM and harness under warranty. No problems since.
2012 Lost steering. Replaced the steering box and pump under warranty. No problems since.
So nothing too major? I don't mind minor fixes since your going to get them with any vehicle. Just don't want to get into a jeep that has a lot of problems. The only thing holding me back right now is the half doors with zip windows. I like to have my windows partially down without a price of plastic flapping in the wind. Thanks for the info!
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.