Buyer/Installer Beware - Teraflex Budget Boost - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buyer/Installer Beware - Teraflex Budget Boost

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

To those buying grade-8's at the local hardware store: if you look in the phone book or online and find a fastener supply distributor, you can buy bolts and nuts for about 1/3 the price of Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Just sayin.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very true, especial when you buy in bulk. Sometimes though itís just more convenient if you only need a couple of things to buy from the local hardware store. The extra price in gas getting to a supply house and back isnít worth the time or effort.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I don't believe that any of the factory bolts are grade 8 either. As long as the kit bolts are the same or better then stock it is a non issue.
The factory stuff is 10.9, which is an "equivillant" to Grade 8. Grade 5 doesn't come close to either of these. If grade 5 stuff came with his kit he should contact a lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Very true, especial when you buy in bulk. Sometimes though itís just more convenient if you only need a couple of things to buy from the local hardware store. The extra price in gas getting to a supply house and back isnít worth the time or effort.
I can literally walk to a Fastenall store from my house! But it's true about buying in bulk... If you only need a couple of bolts it probably is better to go to Lowes or Home Depot.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good to know .. I snapped off one of those 10.9 factory bolts a couple days ago and replaced with a Grade 8. I thought grade 8 and up hardware were gold anodized/colored.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Nope can be whatever.. Ive sheared both grade 5 and 8..5 luckily bends more. I have since redrilled all suspension bolts to 5/8 and used grade 8 fine thread.. Debated grade 9 but it gets pretty brittle.
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just did the synergy bolt swap (full kit, both uca and lca) on my '14 last weekend. The factory stuff I pulled out all said 10.9 on it. Definitely glad I did, you would think after 7+ years Chrysler would put the right size hardware in these things. Some of the bushing sleeves were already showing the rasped out wear after only 2800 miles.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
ken800

This is the what the end of some of the bolts look like:

I got this from a hardware reseller. Grade 5...
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep View Post
...I can literally walk to a Fastenall store from my house!...
Lucky you, I have to drive across town to get to places like that.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OK so a grade 5 is 120,000 psi and grade 8 is 150,000 psi considering a standard grade is only 74,000 psi is this a real concern? 30,000 psi doesn't seem to be a huge difference. I am not an engineer so I'm asking.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Difference is really in the brittle vs bending.. But its pretty noticeable...
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
ken800

Grade 8 and metric equivalent purchased.... The back is done and I'm now on the front half. I must say I though these were the worst instructions I've ever read. That is the understatement of the century. These are the worst anyone has ever read for such a technical install. Sheesh.

The second thing I discovered this evening is that once the control arms have been loosened per the instructions, torquing them back to spec is impossible with the wheels on while sitting on the ground. The upper rear control arm mounted at the axle is too close to the wheel on the inside and on the outside there is a big rubber bump stop in place that wasn't there before. Absolutely no way to get a ratcheting torque wrench in there. It's not a question of my flexibility, it's impossible.

Now I've started the fronts and I'm not certain what new adventures await. I know already the front brake line bracket is an issue and it's not adequately addressed in the manual. The teraflex how to video conveniently skips over that part, lol.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #27
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was able to torque every fastener with a 1/2" drive torque wrench with the tires on the ground. Sometimes having the end your working on sitting on ramps will allow more room under the vehicle to maneuver and get better leverage.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800
Grade 8 and metric equivalent purchased.... The back is done and I'm now on the front half. I must say I though these were the worst instructions I've ever read. That is the understatement of the century. These are the worst anyone has ever read for such a technical install. Sheesh. The second thing I discovered this evening is that once the control arms have been loosened per the instructions, torquing them back to spec is impossible with the wheels on while sitting on the ground. The upper rear control arm mounted at the axle is too close to the wheel on the inside and on the outside there is a big rubber bump stop in place that wasn't there before. Absolutely no way to get a ratcheting torque wrench in there. It's not a question of my flexibility, it's impossible. Now I've started the fronts and I'm not certain what new adventures await. I know already the front brake line bracket is an issue and it's not adequately addressed in the manual. The teraflex how to video conveniently skips over that part, lol.
Totally forgot about the rear bump stop circus!! Installing the rear bump spacers is in itself a pain. Instructions have you install them, then later when your are told to torque all control arm bolts, you realize that the only way to do the rear uppers is to remove the bump spacers. Boom, another 30 minutes wasted. And every time you have to retorque them.

Also, it has you mount the rear sway bar links inboard. Took me a while to find the suspension squeak... Turned out to be the bolts tearing up my frame.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #29
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest2m4
Also, it has you mount the rear sway bar links inboard. Took me a while to find the suspension squeak... Turned out to be the bolts tearing up my frame.
That is strange. In the instructions I have here it says to mount the rear swaybar link extensions outboard , same as stock. However they will rub the stock wheels/tires unless you have wheel spacers. Are you running stock wheels without spacers?
If you are running aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers mount the swaybar links outboard as they are mounted stock.
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #30
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
That is strange. In the instructions I have here it says to mount the rear swaybar link extensions outboard , same as stock. However they will rub the stock wheels/tires unless you have wheel spacers. Are you running stock wheels without spacers? If you are running aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers mount the swaybar links outboard as they are mounted stock.
Ha!! Check out the instructions on their website. Apparently yours are updated. Once I figured out the issue, I swapped them around and made my own decision on the bolts to ensure clearance. I have aftermarket wheels with plenty of back spacing. I've since ditched the TF lift.

The other install issue I had was that one of the rear coil spacers didn't want to seat in the hole. After an hour of trying, the rubber bulb on the spacer was totally jacked. I had to trim it to make it fit.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.