Buyer/Installer Beware - Teraflex Budget Boost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buyer/Installer Beware - Teraflex Budget Boost

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
ken800

Buyer/Installer Beware - Teraflex Budget Boost

I started installing my 2.5" Teraflex Budget Boost this evening. Before installing, I did the best I could to inventory the parts and I *believed* I had everything before I started, but it turns out I didn't.

I was missing a washer in one bag (no big deal as I can get a grade 8 or 10 washer locally) but more importantly, I am missing some of the hardware for the rear trackbar bracket.

Needless to say I'm rather annoyed as I'm up on jack stands and can't finish. As it is the weekend, there's so solving the issue until I can call Teraflex on Monday for parts. Even if the get it out right away, I'll still be down until Tuesday or Wednesday until I get the correct parts.

So much for going out for the first time wheeling this weekend in the new JK.

I will also add that the manual is amongst the worst I've ever experienced. Wrench and socket sizes are repeatedly wrong and the directions are just awful. Make sure if you buy this kit that you watch the video on youtube 3 or 4 times before you install.

ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

That sucks dude! Yeah, best to check and double check everything before u start a project. Even then, have a standby vehicle for those emergency trips to the hardware store. What was missing from the kit besides a washer? Maybe we can give you advice on how to "bandaid" it until next week.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Alaska-HWY JK

When those kits came out they didn't have a trackbar bracket. Run without it till you get the part. Just put the trackbar back on and torque it up. Your axle will just be shifted over a bit. You'll probably not even notice. There are hundreds of threads on the TF BB on these forums.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
spinlock

I realize it's simple stuff but I am surprised TF doesn't pay more attention to the details. Regarding the instructions, it seems typical, they all seem to be somewhat lacking with suspension kits. When they use photos instead of diagrams it is not always clear what they are referring. They could learn a lesson or two from members of the forum that document their builds!
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the TF documentation kinda sucks, I'll agree. Chalk it up to a lesson learned - always check your parts bag before you start a big job!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

I hear you. I had the BB and the hardware completely rusted out in a couple areas. Called thinking they would send new hardware for free, but they charged me a ton for a couple bags of bolts. The best part, they sent the wrong hardware! I too had my Jeep on jack stands, but there was no turning back for me. Called them up and they said they would send the right ones, but I had to pay shipping. I said that was ridiculous, so they told me to go to a hardware store. Lastly, I asked for a refund since they sent me the wrong stuff. Want to guess how that went?

I think Teraflex makes some good stuff, but their customer service is about the worst I have experienced.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
bbbradley

in my experience the best way to get service when something like this happens is to call the CC company and dispute the charge after notifying the vendor of the issue and them not solving it to your satisfaction. The vendor is now in a position to fix the problem or lose all their money. It has been very successful for me,
bbbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
chiefkp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Installed mine without trouble. Instructions were kinda messed up, but this is my second install of this. So i knew what to look for.
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Interesting, I have found teraflex's customer service to be awesome.

For the op, just run without the trackbar bracket.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
TOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefkp View Post
Installed mine without trouble. Instructions were kinda messed up, but this is my second install of this. So i knew what to look for.
Mine went on OK and it was my first install. They do have a video on youtube that fills in a couple gaps in the manual. The one thing that confused me is that my kit came with grease zerks for the sway bar links, but the links had no holes for them.

Turns out the sway bar links were updated to greaseless like the factory originals.
TOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

To date I have installed 8 TeraFlex Jk kits over the last 6 years and I have not had any issues or missing parts. The only part that needs to be replaced on my own TF lift, after 6 years is the rear old style extended swaybar links.
Have to agree the instructions are a little lacking.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
ken800

Thanks all. I know I can run without it and "crab" my way down the road but I kind of wanted to do it right the first time and not have to come back and eff with it again later. I'm going to take the stock track bar bolt to a couple of hardware stores and try to find a duplicate this morning so I do know exactly what I need there. The smaller one, however, I'm not sure about. It doesn't seem if it's going to matter if it is a little too long, though -- just the diameter. If I can find what I need, I'm good to go. The one thing that WAS in the kit, strangely, is the crush sleeve for the bracket. Assuming I do find hardware this morning, that certainly would have sunk me for certain.

For those that are considering this kit, the fit and finish of the parts themselves seems good. The hardware in the kit is NOT grade 8 according to the markings and therefore this kit, in my opinion, is not safe long term. The bolts in my kit are all marked on the head with the three lines in the "starburst" pattern. According to my bolt guide, that makes them grade 5 hardware. Everything so far is grade 5. From the picture of the track bar bracket install, the bolt looks black (I wish I had one!), so I suspect that's probably metric and a higher grade bolt. That said, the entire kit should be grade 8 or grade 10 hardware is it is holding together suspension parts. If one shears off road, it's not nearly as big a deal if one shears partially off road then "finishes" on the ride home.

Lesson learned on quality here. Nice kit for the money, but carefully evaluate your options and try to find one that includes grade 8+ or better hardware for ALL components.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Uhhh, If your kit came with grade 5 bolts I wouldn't use any of them. I would also call TF customer service and raise hell! That is completely unacceptable... Not to mention a lawsuit waiting to happen!
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
ncb

The last time I installed a TF monster track bar the hardware on the clamp broke when torquing to the spec in the instructions. The torque wrench is calibrated annually so I know it wasn't an error on my part. Trip to Lowe's for grade 8 and all was good.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't believe that any of the factory bolts are grade 8 either. As long as the kit bolts are the same or better then stock it is a non issue.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.