Buy or Build Pricing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Buy or Build Pricing

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
JoiseyJeff

Buy or Build Pricing

I have yet to see any 4 doors at my dealership nor ones on their soon to arrive invoice list that I like. I have never purchased a car new that was in such limited supply nor have I ever ordered/had built a new car before. I always looked at the models avail and negotiated up or down between price and available features on the lot. I'm going to go in and build a 4 door at the dealer tomorrow. When I'm done my build and I see the price what's the best way to negotiate? What's protocol for a very limited, built Jeep that is going to take 6-8 weeks ro receive. Again purchase and haggle with the best of them, just never did it with something this new to market nor being built for me. What sorta % deposit is the norm while I wait 2 months? I assume payment won't kick in till I take delivery. Thanks!

07JK Sahara Rescue Green
JoiseyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
NapalmEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyJeff
I have yet to see any 4 doors at my dealership nor ones on their soon to arrive invoice list that I like. I have never purchased a car new that was in such limited supply nor have I ever ordered/had built a new car before. I always looked at the models avail and negotiated up or down between price and available features on the lot. I'm going to go in and build a 4 door at the dealer tomorrow. When I'm done my build and I see the price what's the best way to negotiate? What's protocol for a very limited, built Jeep that is going to take 6-8 weeks ro receive. Again purchase and haggle with the best of them, just never did it with something this new to market nor being built for me. What sorta % deposit is the norm while I wait 2 months? I assume payment won't kick in till I take delivery. Thanks!
Tell them you want it for $500 below invoice, which is what a lot of dealerships will do.

If he tells you no, repeat till you find a dealer that will.

Worst case, it's far away and you road trip your new car home and save a ton of money.
NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
speedstream

yeah, some other guy flew to ky from w verginia i think. the cost of a cheap one way fare these days can be like $60 - i get 39 one way from chicago to cleveland all the time since my sister moved. But keep in mind you have to take gas/time to drive back - but that sounds like fun to me.

keep that in mind if they do not move on the price.
speedstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

I started with the jeepwarehouse.com price and emailed about a dozen local dealers asking for their best quote under that amount. About a half dozen actually gave me quotes. A couple were right around invoice. One was well under invoice (about $100 over employee pricing). Dealer seemed legit - so I went with that quote - no haggling at all.

If you're really set on a particular dealer, print out the invoice price, jeepwarehouse.com quote and maybe some testimonials from the forums and bring them with you when you negotiate the price. The key is to show them that you have other options to get your Jeep at a good price if they won't deal with you (but you've got to be willing to walk away if they don't).

Good luck!
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What sorta % deposit is the norm while I wait 2 months?
$100-500 seems to be pretty common. I put a $100 deposit down.
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
solbergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
I started with the jeepwarehouse.com price and emailed about a dozen local dealers asking for their best quote under that amount. About a half dozen actually gave me quotes. A couple were right around invoice. One was well under invoice (about $100 over employee pricing). Dealer seemed legit - so I went with that quote - no haggling at all.

If you're really set on a particular dealer, print out the invoice price, jeepwarehouse.com quote and maybe some testimonials from the forums and bring them with you when you negotiate the price. The key is to show them that you have other options to get your Jeep at a good price if they won't deal with you (but you've got to be willing to walk away if they don't).

Good luck!
Why not just order from Jeep Warehouse? Or are you saying that you got a local dealer to beat JW's price?
solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
Why not just order from Jeep Warehouse? Or are you saying that you got a local dealer to beat JW's price?
I was happy with the customer service that I received from Jeep Warehouse. I would have even paid an extra $1-200 to order through them. But my local dealer was able to beat their price by over $1,000 - I couldn't pass that up.
Unread 09-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
JoiseyJeff

Great info fellas, my thanks. Order goes in today!
07JK Sahara Rescue Green
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
JoiseyJeff

My results this morning.... I built 2 07 4 doors on jeepwarehouse.com and went shopping. 1st Jeep dealership would not meet their price, "sorry can't do it but I'll work with you" and I walked out. 2nd Jeep dealership wouldn't even build and price for me they said as they come in they go out at MSRP, period. 3rd dealership was "very busy" to build and price for me on the spot (it was a mad house there) as it's the end of the month and said they would call me back. These are the 3 largest Jeep 5 star Chrystler dealerships in NJ. I guess since demand and supply are they way they are they won't move. Granted, the difference from MSRP to jeepwarehouse's price was about $1500 less or about 500 over factory wholesale price.
07JK Sahara Rescue Green
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My results this morning.... I built 2 07 4 doors on jeepwarehouse.com and went shopping. 1st Jeep dealership would not meet their price, "sorry can't do it but I'll work with you" and I walked out. 2nd Jeep dealership wouldn't even build and price for me they said as they come in they go out at MSRP, period. 3rd dealership was "very busy" to build and price for me on the spot (it was a mad house there) as it's the end of the month and said they would call me back. These are the 3 largest Jeep 5 star Chrystler dealerships in NJ. I guess since demand and supply are they way they are they won't move. Granted, the difference from MSRP to jeepwarehouse's price was about $1500 less or about 500 over factory wholesale price.
Sorry to hear. Try sending some emails out. If you just walked in you were probably dealing with a regular salesperson, which is focused on selling cars off the lot typically (and for as high a profit as possible). You want to be dealing with the fleet manager or internet sales manager - they typically do nothing but orders and are focused on volume more than price. If you send some emails out they usually go to the fleet or internet sales manager. I wouldn't give up so quickly. Also, I wouldn't limit my search to the 5 star dealers - I have heard conflicting accounts on whether all such dealers deserve their ratings.
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
JoiseyJeff

Thanks Cab.......Regular Joe Sales guy did go and bring me "Store Manager" Bob to speak to at 2 of the dealerships, they were the ones that said no can do or MSRP. I'll try a few non 5 start Jeep dealerships next week. Thanks!
07JK Sahara Rescue Green
Unread 09-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Stevebo

Get internet quotes from all the dealers in a 250 mile radius of you, Use the lowest one as leverage with the other dealers, play them against each other. thats what I did, I got $678 below invoice on a 4 Door X base, and $500 under invoice on a 2 door X base.
Stevebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
blkngld
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeff... I have been dealing with Global Auto Mall on rt 22 in North Plainfield. I ordered my Rubi through them back in July.

Would be more than happy to send you some numbers to call if you want to talk to them. I couldn't promise ya what they would do for you, but they have been more then helpful and curtious to me for the last 3 months.

BTW: they are also 5 star

email me at JM3992@aol.com if interested.
blkngld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
JoiseyJeff

Thanks, will send you an email. As an update I went to another Jeep dealership today and after I told them I wanted to build and price an 07 4 door the sales guy said, "you do realize we are selling them for $5000 over mspr?" to me. What a freaking joke. I laughed about it and he was stone cold. He went into the boss's cubicle and I did hear something to the effect of "we are not discounting right now". They had 1 Sahara out front that was "not for sale" and the sticker was 27K or so. Crazy. The first Jeep dealership I went to that let me walk out (see my first post) called today. They wanted to work with me and said $500 over invoice or employee price was probable. I said, "well if you would have told me that the other day I would have ordered it." Crazy, told them I ordered already. I appreciate the demand and cool factor but please why are they holding out for a grand/1500K? Just makes me mad.
07JK Sahara Rescue Green
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, think about what you are saying.
This is NOT a limited supply vehicle. They will be PLENTIFUL. Just not right now.
Most dealerships haven't even gotten their FIRST ONE yet.
The first of anything (except a Taurus or the like) always has people who are willing to pay extra to be the first on their block to have one. The dealership is in business for one reason - profit. WHY would they even consider giving one away for $500 when they can get MSRP + more? Sure, go ahead and try, but don't complain if they won't deal.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.