But will it be - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > But will it be

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
joebob

But will it be

serviceable? One of the things I have always loved about the wrangler (CJ on up to today’s TJ) is I can do 95% of any of the mechanical maintenance and repair ever needed. Any insight on the “serviceability” of the new JK?

joebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
AOPAPilot

while some things might require a bit of learning about, I dont see it being THAT much different. Afterall, it is still a Wrangler.
AOPAPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Of course we can only give educated guess's now. But i dont think its going to be as simple as the TJ. This thing will have traction control and roll mitigation. I would think it would be almost like working on a grand cherokee.

But I am sure it will be much better than working on a 06 Ford F250 with a 6.0 diesel...LOL...
Unread 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, the engine is a carry-over from the minivans of the last couple of years, and the axles, transmissions, and transfer cases are all carry-overs from the current TJ, so I would assume that that stuff will be just as serviceable. The only things that would muck it up are all the sensors for the new gadgets.
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I heard the axles were different and the old skids and stuff would not work on the new jk. I always thought a dana 44 was a dana 44?
Unread 06-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, from what I've read, the axles are beefier. (Dana is considering calling it a 45?) Something to do with more or bigger splines? I know zero about axles, but I definitely read something like that on one of the boards.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

2007 Jeep Wrangler Chief Engineer Jim Issner has responded to email questions:

6. "I didn't want to paraphrase this next question, it comes from one of our readers with the nickname, 'disturbed': "The number 1 question I have is WHY OH WHY DID YOU GUYS STICK A D35 UNDER THIS THING? "

This is THE most hated Jeep/Dana axle assembly ever produced and to continue to use it under the entirely new JK platform (even with upgrades) is mind-boggling. The D44 or AAM equivalent should have been used across the board for all JKs."

""The Dana 30 front axles have a high pinion design (TJ was a low pinion design) to provide greater gear strength, the housing is stiffer and stronger, and the pinion bearings are larger for improved durability.The Dana 35 rear axle also has a larger pinion and unitized wheel bearings. The prior design had an on-shaft bearing. The axle shafts have also increased in cross section for improved strength. Overall, the axles have been improved over its predecessor. In fact, we are considering different names for the axles since they are virtually all new""

A Jeep spokesman was also quoted as saying that the Dana44's were so much bigger that they considered renaming them Dana45's. I'll try to find that to post, too.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, what he said.

And welcome, ghostship. If your G-wagen nemesis shows up over here, please ignore him! JeepForum is my way of getting away from that silliness.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMacLeod
Well, the engine is a carry-over from the minivans of the last couple of years
The 3.8L has been around longer than that... it's been in minivans for over a decade... it's 3.3L little brother is even older.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.