but what will it look like?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > but what will it look like?!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
mrcoyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

but what will it look like?!?

Hopefully I'm not the only one "lost in mods" here... I'm not mechanically inclined.. or even much of a 'car' type guy. I can do electrical, but am lost when we talk tire sizes, lift's, spacers, leveling kits and all that fun stuff.

I went to a shop today and was given a price of $4400 installed for a 4" lift, and 325/65/18 tires and wheels that I liked (although I might look at some other options).

But, I can't really visualize what the Jeep will look like after. I've been trying to assemble a few pics of what you folks have already done - but has anyone got some photos of that set up? (tire sizes & 4" lift). I'd like to keep stock fenders & bumpers for now. I have all black bumpers & body matched fenders. It doesn't seem like 1" is a big difference - so why would someone get a 17" tire instead of 18"? Same with a lift - 2.5", 3" 4" - doesn't seem like much difference.

Currently, I'm going for mainly 'visual' mods - I do some off road - but not enough hardcore trails to start adding armor and going crazy with costs. I suspect the bigger tires and lift will help me get out of some of the ruts I've been in before. Got hung up once too - but I don't imagine the tires/lift would do much in those situations.

The price quoted to me is in my budget, and leaves lots of room for good headlights & fog lights, possibly a rack system and roof top tent...

Anyone help a newbie with mechanical mods?!? I just need to figure out how to visual the final product before I pull out the visa.

Thanks!

mrcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What brand of lift kit?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
mrcoyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think they mentioned "pro comp" ? That part of my quote was $1500 - supposed to include the lifts, brake line extensions, shocks and I'm not sure the other 'technical' details.
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Club
Do you have a KK Liberty or a JK Wrangler?
You may be in the wrong section, I can move this thread if you let me know!
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoyote View Post
I think they mentioned "pro comp" ? That part of my quote was $1500 - supposed to include the lifts, brake line extensions, shocks and I'm not sure the other 'technical' details.
What brand are the tires? Your 325's will measure anywhere between 33" and 35" depending on the brand. Any reason why you're going with 18" instead of 17" rims? There's a greater selection of tires available at 17", wheels will be cheaper, plus with the smaller wheel and greater sidewall, it'll make your tires look bigger.

As for your lift, I'd explore other options if it can fit within your budget and maybe bring the height down a notch (to 3.5"). Pro Comp isn't exactly a brand synonymous with quality. I'd look into Teraflex or AEV.
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
mrcoyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

@JLK: I do have a 4dr Wrangler- Black Altitude Edition

@Spank: Only reason I have those items listed (tires they are trying to sell me on Dunlop Fierce Attitude - I'm not overly thrilled about the pattern on the side though) is because that's what they've given me as a package price. I can't visualize the difference between 17" and 18" tires, so that's the reason that's on the price quote. I'll head back to these guys and ask about the other lifts and tire sizes you mentioned & see what they can come up with for price.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is a good place to start, tons of pictures of lifted jku's

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/lifted-4-door-jks-only-808175/
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoyote View Post
@Spank: Only reason I have those items listed (tires they are trying to sell me on Dunlop Fierce Attitude - I'm not overly thrilled about the pattern on the side though) is because that's what they've given me as a package price. I can't visualize the difference between 17" and 18" tires, so that's the reason that's on the price quote. I'll head back to these guys and ask about the other lifts and tire sizes you mentioned & see what they can come up with for price.
I just saw that you're from Canada, so availability and prices are obviously going to be different.

I'm certainly not trying to sway you from getting what you want, but I think for the price you're paying (which for a full lift, wheels, and tires is certainly reasonable), you can get better quality parts.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post

I just saw that you're from Canada, so availability and prices are obviously going to be different.

I'm certainly not trying to sway you from getting what you want, but I think for the price you're paying (which for a full lift, wheels, and tires is certainly reasonable), you can get better quality parts.
Agreed. Id rather a strong case of the clap, than allow anything called a "fierce attitude" anywhere near my vehicle...ask them for an approximate labor quote, and then shop kits, wheels, tires separately, if only for comparisons sake.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok, you want an opinion? Don't get the 4" lift. If you want a "show" rig that's for the road and mild offroad, go with a 2.5" lift. 2.5" will clear 35" tires on a JK and will do fine for what you want. A 2.5-inch lift (ie. TeraFlex) with 35's looks great and also improves offroad handling dramatically. The lift alone will cost less than $1000 for a coil/shock lift.

However, if you want to do it "right" and you don't mind spending the cash, get a full-control arm 3" lift kit, adjustable front trackbar and 35's with 17" max rims. That will allow you to adjust the axle "caster" angles and have proper geometry. It will drive like a dream and not get into other troubles associated with a 4" JK lift kit. A full 3" lift kit with a front adjustable track bar will run anywhere from $2200-2700 depending on the brand. I'd personally recommend the TeraFlex - same kit I am running. Plus, going with 17-inch wheels versus 18's will save you anywhere from $250-500 and they look beefy and hella-cool.

Just a warning that a PROPER 4" lift on a Wrangler JK introduces you into a whole new world and is a LOT of lift. You should, in reality, get new driveshafts and brake lines with a 4" lift (amongst other things). This alone introduces $1000-1500 to your lift kit cost. Also, keep in mind that 4" lifts on JKs are typically installed ONLY to clear 37 inch tires. Let it be known that a 4-inch lift kit including a front trackbar would cost me $2750 when priced out... not including install of course.

In reality, lifting JKs should be done only to clear the desired tire size IMHO, they're not for "dork-envy" massive lifts - like full-size trucks are.

Think this through and ask for opinions. I'd personnally recommend Northridge 4x4 in Alberta for parts. If I lived in the Toronto area I'd help you with the install - as long as you provided the beer!

Congrats on the rig, let us know what you decide upon and show us some pics!

(Fellow Canuck Jeeper)
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
mrcoyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

@ SubAtomicGenius - I happen to be in Alberta currently (Edmonton)... I might have to take a visit to Northridge 4x4 and have a chat with the folks there. I've been asking the guys at "Trucks Plus" here in Edm, and they seem sure that the 4" lift and 18" rims are the way to go.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Save yourself a whole hell of a lot of money and do the lift yourself. Subatomic has a point with the 2.5" lift. It will do what you want based on what you said in your post. Anyone can install that lift in less than a day without being mechanically inclined and a few tools to add to you collection.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like they are just trying to sell you a product that they get a higher commission on. Like sub atomic said going to 4" brings so many other costs and troubles. Best advice wheel it for a while and then decide what you need based on how and what you wheel. If you just want to look cool go for a budget boost. Personally I like a smaller wheel for offroad purpose not to mention tires are cheaper for a 17" or 16" tire vs 18". If you go smaller than 17 you will need even less back spacing on the wheels. Research research research. Wheel and build your jeep specific to what you do. Welcome to the addiction
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

any jeep clubs in your area? that might be a good place to see what others have. you might even get help with install. make sure you supply the beer though.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
mrcoyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

@pentastarguy - I've spotted a jeep meet friday nights at the local coffee shop... that'll be cheaper than beer and I'm hoping to pick a variety of brains for insight this week.. although many of jeeps there are really heavily modded... I'd guess $15+k in upgrades for a lot of them -- I think there is a lot of 'lift envy' where I'm located - people are just going for 'bigger & most expensive'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.