Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #76
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardBum View Post
OK, so I'm not out of ideas again! I did a search of my brass fittings and found one slightly smaller in inside diameter to try. I have no idea if it will work or not. I did measure the original brass fitting I used and the I.D. was 13/64". The hex part of the fitting was for a 9/16" wrench. The hole my fitting screwed into was 1/2". So it would appear that I reduced the freeway opening from approx 1/2" to 13/64" and had an oil consumption reduction to 1/2 quart per 1000. Today I replaced the original brass fitting with one that has an opening of of 11/64" reducing the air input by 1/32" smaller than before. No results other than one drive about 16 miles taking my daughter to work this morning. So far, all is well and no warning lights. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not, I'll have to drive it more to see it this reduction will provide any additional benefits or not.

After some considerable thought on this today, there appears to be only three ideas on mittigating oil consumption throught the PCV ... installng a different PCV Valve (engineering nightmare well above my pay grade), installing some kind of baffle around the PCV inside the valve cover to help the oil settle back into the crankcase prior to entering the draft exiting the engine, (perhaps another engineering nightmare) or reducing the air intake side of the problem allowing the oil to settle on it's own and presumably stay in the engine as opposed to exiting stage left like snaggletooth did in the cartoons! So far it would seem that restricting the fresh air intake side has made a difference in my particular application. Maybe a few thousandths more will make an improvement?

One last thought on this matter until I get some data from my Jeep ... The engine is going to suck only so much as it can handle. The PCV will comply with the max the engine will pull through it based upon the parameters of the PCV (assuming factory PCV is used) ... barring a plugged up PCV. Assuming that the PCV is not clogged up, etc, then the only way to control how much draft is going through the engine is to is to reduce the air inlet size. I reduced mine a little bit more today and will give it a test run. When I have new info on this one way or the other, I'll report back in.

Respectfully submitted.

Today I reduced the fresh air intake side
Well now; this is getting interesting enough for me to hook up a water manometer to the crankcase and take some before and after readings.

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #77
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just thought I'd post for those who switched oil to 5w-30 and instantly stopped oil consumption. I tried that and it had no change in my oil consumption but mine only burns a quart every 3k. Glad it works for some people but certainly not all of us.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #78
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...After some considerable thought on this today, there appears to be only three ideas on mittigating oil consumption throught the PCV ... installng a different PCV Valve (engineering nightmare well above my pay grade), installing some kind of baffle around the PCV inside the valve cover to help the oil settle back into the crankcase prior to entering the draft exiting the engine, (perhaps another engineering nightmare) or reducing the air intake side of the problem allowing the oil to settle on it's own and presumably stay in the engine as opposed to exiting stage left like snaggletooth did in the cartoons! ...
Another other idea that I saw on one of the forums is to incorporate a PCV Oil Catch Can - Google it...
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #79
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, you can search on "pcv grommet baffle" and see some pre-made restrictions on the PCV side. I don't know what size our PCV valves are, but maybe there’s already a grommet that someone makes that the PCV valve can plug into that already has a baffle that will help?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #80
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Great follow up post, GuardBum.

How about an idea of temporarily using clear hose between engine hose and PCV valve to visually monitor oil flow with low and high idle (low/high vacuum)?

When I removed PCV value with 60,000 miles, it seemed pretty clear inside valve. It lead me to believe it had unrestricted free flow and not much oil was passing through because it was clean.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #81
GuardBum
2007 JK Wrangler 

No offense ment ... the draft through the engine sucked the oil right on through? Is that not the problem we are addressing on this? I attempted to restrict the air flow 'after' the PCV and found the big hose to be fouled with engine oil between the PCV and the inlet to the intake manifold opening restricting device ... a chunk of fuel hose. If you are not restricting the air flow or baffling the PCV under the valve cover then the original problem still exists ... too much air flow through the system and potentially sucking it though so fast that there is no residue or 'eveidence' of the problem!!!

I think by now that we've determined that the PCV valve and lack of effective baffeling is the culpret in this matter whether it is old or new. Assuming that Chrysler/Jeep isn't going to address this issue for whatever reason, the only cheap way for us to address this is to control the airflow IN short of anyting else. The basic SIZE of the plumbing between the PCV and the intake maniford makes it difficult to deal with in a clean manner.

As previously mentioned, I just downsized the air intake side by 1/32" yesterday (1/7/2013) and have no data to substantiate at this time if it works any better than the previous restrictor I used ... too early to tell. With about 30 miles of driving since I made this change I can only report that I haven't seen any problems. Perhaps an additional 1000 mies will give me some data to report? So far so good!
GuardBum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #82
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi guys. I read through the whole post because I am having oil consumption problems. Although I don't understand all the jargon, it is an interesting post all the same. So I will keep reading and researching so that I will better understand the situation.
Thank you
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #83
GuardBum
2007 JK Wrangler 

Update ... Since last post I used one quart in 1400 miles which has been pretty stable on the consumption scale. I opted to replace the PCV to make sure I had the updated model. The new PCV is Part Number 4648973-AD. I recall someone mentioning Chrysler had new and improved PCV's. The one I removed was "-AC". The price from my local dealership is $21.00 plus tax. Or I guess you could go to one of the parts stores. I guess my next project is going to be an oil catch can. I haven't figured out how to put it all together so it doesn't look all cobbled up.

That all folks!
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #84
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Update ... Since last post I used one quart in 1400 miles which has been pretty stable on the consumption scale. I opted to replace the PCV to make sure I had the updated model. The new PCV is Part Number 4648973-AD. I recall someone mentioning Chrysler had new and improved PCV's. The one I removed was "-AC". The price from my local dealership is $21.00 plus tax. Or I guess you could go to one of the parts stores. I guess my next project is going to be an oil catch can. I haven't figured out how to put it all together so it doesn't look all cobbled up.

That all folks!
Sometimes the new letter suffixes only indicate a different vender, and usually a higher price.

Were you able to see a difference in how the old and new pcv valves were made?
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #85
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Switched to 5w-30 oil instead and replace your PCV valve.

^^^^

This is what I have done. Problem solved.
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #86
GuardBum
2007 JK Wrangler 

My last post a few minutes ago evaporated some where so I'll try again. No difference between PCV "AC" and "AD". The "AC" valve was easier to remove probably due to some leakage between the rubber grommet and the valve cover opening. There doesn't appear to be any change in oil consumption ... still pretty much the same. Since it is time to change the oil again I'll post after I get more data to report.
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #87
jefferyjunk

Oil catch canister

Just found this well doing a bit of research around my 2007's oil consumption.
Prefabbed oil catch canister for the JK....

http://www.shopjeep4x4.com/c-336-oil...atch-cans.aspx

Install guide..

http://www.shopjeep4x4.com/images/me...-guide-web.pdf
jefferyjunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.