Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Disagree, Feds can force an emissions recall even more forcefully than one for safety if the violation is extreme and widespread, whch we know this is. We know Chrysler has been ordered to test customers' in service JKs from the '07 - '09 model year. Just don't know the result yet, and due to the Feds involvement in the bankruptcy saga this will get very political due to the costs involved.

Offically emission campaigns are listed by the EPA as recalls.Besides it must not be of any issue since the cali/NY guy's are not flooding the forum with "I can't pass emissions with my '07-'09 JK",not as wide spread as wide spread as you might think and most could be owner induced(extended OCI's).

Wrong weight oil in a 20+ year old engine with a over complicated PCV system and extended OCI's are only going to equal oil use.1qt every oil change is nothing and all auto makers will state that it is not a issue.

Unread 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
GuardBum
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok Here Goes Again ...
The basic problem is the design of the enging draft system ... too much air INTO the cranikcase resulting in too much OIL being sucked into the engine! Per Chrysler technical documentation, consumption of 1 QT of oil per 750 miles is 'acceptable'. OK so what to do ... in the air intake side on the right valve cover, intalll an air restricting device. In my case, I have a Volant CAI tube ... on the nipple I threaded in a typical air chuck fitting reducing the size of the air intake side of the crankcase ventilation system. By reducing the air flow IN, the Oil Consumption OUT was cut by 1/2!

You'll never fix this design problem, just mitigate some of the oil consumption. I have an old 1964 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup Truck. When using my 'custom' chrome valve cover, the PCV system puffs oil smoke out the tail pipe periodically. If I use the 'factory' old style valve cover, oil consumption is nil! Investigating the baffle inside the 'factory' valve cover, I found sufficient baffling effect to keep the OIL in the engine and the FUMES going out the tail pipe.

Reduce the air flow though the engine oil system and you'll reduce oil consumption! Oil isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than running your engine low on oil. Check the OIL level often as the real bottom line is a quart of oil or replacement engine regardless of your situation.

Respectfully submitted.
GuardBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #33
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardBum View Post
Ok Here Goes Again ...
The basic problem is the design of the enging draft system ... too much air INTO the cranikcase resulting in too much OIL being sucked into the engine! Per Chrysler technical documentation, consumption of 1 QT of oil per 750 miles is 'acceptable'. OK so what to do ... in the air intake side on the right valve cover, intalll an air restricting device. In my case, I have a Volant CAI tube ... on the nipple I threaded in a typical air chuck fitting reducing the size of the air intake side of the crankcase ventilation system. By reducing the air flow IN, the Oil Consumption OUT was cut by 1/2!

You'll never fix this design problem, just mitigate some of the oil consumption. I have an old 1964 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup Truck. When using my 'custom' chrome valve cover, the PCV system puffs oil smoke out the tail pipe periodically. If I use the 'factory' old style valve cover, oil consumption is nil! Investigating the baffle inside the 'factory' valve cover, I found sufficient baffling effect to keep the OIL in the engine and the FUMES going out the tail pipe.

Reduce the air flow though the engine oil system and you'll reduce oil consumption! Oil isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than running your engine low on oil. Check the OIL level often as the real bottom line is a quart of oil or replacement engine regardless of your situation.

Respectfully submitted.
I understand how too much air flow will cause this, but...

If system design were the cause, wouldn't all 3.8L JKs have the excessive oil consumption?
Mine doesn't use any (not noticeable, anyway), between 6,000 mile oil changes.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #34
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine just started. Ive owned is rig since day one, with .5 mile on it. A picky bastard by nature, Meticulous as hell, using 5w 20 I change mobile 1 full synth every 5k miles. As of the last 8k miles, I've noticed that I am usi g about a 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. Whatever... what a firkin pissant "bumper to bumper" warranty huh?!?! So, I just check the oil like I used to back in the old fashioned days, whenever I stop for fuel. No big deal. Just keeps me in touch with the vehicle. Looki g at the battery, corrosion? The aux wiring, any chaffing? The winch, still there? Yep... Good to go. It's just a Jeep after all. It's loud, fun and predictable. Just like an alcoholic girlfiriend!
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #35
GuardBum
2007 JK Wrangler 

Additional Info ... I've owned my Rubicon since 2008. I purchased it with 4800 miles on the vehicle. Oil usage was noted at my first oil change. I use 10W30 conventional oil. The vehicle now has 47,000 miles. I just made two cross country trips this year, both were 3000 miles. On the first trip my Rubicon consumed 2 Qts of oil. Before the second trip I installed the restrictor I mentioned before. Consumption was 1 Qt. As far as my theory and explanation goes, I'm sticking with it because it works for me. Due to the numerous short trips I make I change oil every 2000 miles which works out to doing a service about 3-4 times a year.

I just remembered that I had attempted to restrict the air flow AFTER the PCV by using a piece of hose inside the hose going to the engine. Needless to say, after a 1000 miles of city driving, I confirmed that the PCV was the cupret. Restricting the air flow on the intake side is much cleaner.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Respectfully submitted.
GuardBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Offically emission campaigns are listed by the EPA as recalls.Besides it must not be of any issue since the cali/NY guy's are not flooding the forum with "I can't pass emissions with my '07-'09 JK",not as wide spread as wide spread as you might think and most could be owner induced(extended OCI's).

Wrong weight oil in a 20+ year old engine with a over complicated PCV system and extended OCI's are only going to equal oil use.1qt every oil change is nothing and all auto makers will state that it is not a issue.
Not necessarily. Fed emissions testing regimen is far more stringent than State certifications. Oil consumption on JK is well documented and the OPs aren't complaining about 1qt every oil change, they're talking 1qt in less than 1k miles. Chrysler will do as much as they can to avoid dealing with the the root cause(s) on this one.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #37
Mantis7Star

I've owned Wranglers since "97" and have never experienced the problems and issues that have plagued Jeep since the 3.8L replaced the 4.0L motor. My JK has Unlimited Mileage Warranty, coverage bumper to bumper and the dealers and Chrysler can't find a solution. Its all about money! They've never had so many Jeeps in for repairs prior to the 3.8L engine swap. We have a Chrysler Minivan motor in a Jeep. Why change something if its not broken, per se. Again, its all about money.
Mantis7Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #38
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea the 3.8L isn't the 4.0 but, its not a bad engine the problem is the 08's and some 09's were made in Mexico and the machine work was shotty at best from what a Jeep engineer told me at Dallas Dodge. Some 3.8's will have consumption problems wheras others can spin a rod bearing or throw a rod. Good thing is if you have the lifteime powertrain your covered as long as you take care of it.
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis7Star View Post
I've owned Wranglers since "97" and have never experienced the problems and issues that have plagued Jeep since the 3.8L replaced the 4.0L motor. My JK has Unlimited Mileage Warranty, coverage bumper to bumper and the dealers and Chrysler can't find a solution. Its all about money! They've never had so many Jeeps in for repairs prior to the 3.8L engine swap. We have a Chrysler Minivan motor in a Jeep. Why change something if its not broken, per se. Again, its all about money.
I never had a problem with my 3.8, or any of my 4.0L engines, either.
But, I'm sure the 4.0 had its share of problems across the board, too.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

The 4.0 would not pass todays smog laws. From a packaging stand point the v6 wad a better fit. They both produce the same ho and torque. And...... It was a tried a true reliable engine, burning a little oil or not.
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I didn't read this whole thread so I hope I'm not posting what others already have but...my JKUR is an 07 with about 80000 miles on it. It began to use oil about 10000 miles ago and has been getting worse until it used 2.5 qts in 3000 miles. I brought it in for an oil change at Valvoline. They recommended Maxlife oil because it has "seal conditioners" and other helpful additives for higher mileage engines in it. I've seen quite a few "miracle" products that don't work well (or at all) so I was pretty skeptical. Especially since the oil isn't apparently leaking away. But I figured it wasn't any more expensive than the synthetic I was using so I'd try it. My Jeep has gone 1500 miles since the last change and hasn't used a drop. So far it looks like the stuff actually works because by now my Jeep would have been short by at least a quart. Anyway, the OP and others experiencing oil use could try it. If there is some kind of seal going bad in the engine, this may help. It's worth a shot...
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #42
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I never had a problem with my 3.8, or any of my 4.0L engines, either.
But, I'm sure the 4.0 had its share of problems across the board, too.
Last couple years production 4.0L can have oil pump / pressure issues that result in worn cams, etc.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I've been using 5W-30 for 60,000 miles to prevent piston ring wear and oil burning. It did not help, as 3.8L burns about a quart every 1,500 miles. I used Mobile-1 synthetics and changed oil every 3,000 miles.

I should've switched to 10W-30 when I bought the Jeep. I really belive 5W-30 is still too thin. No engine should burn quart of oil every 1,500 miles
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #44
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike View Post
I've been using 5W-30 for 60,000 miles to prevent piston ring wear and oil burning. It did not help, as 3.8L burns about a quart every 1,500 miles. I used Mobile-1 synthetics and changed oil every 3,000 miles.

I should've switched to 10W-30 when I bought the Jeep. I really belive 5W-30 is still too thin. No engine should burn quart of oil every 1,500 miles
5w-30 is not to thin. The 5W is what helps your engine to have good oil flow when it's cold. As the engine warms, it thickens and the "30" is what weight oil you have in the engine. The difference between 20 and 30, isn't going to stop the 3.8 from using oil.
If I run ours on the freeway for extended periods of time, it will burn more oil than just normal city/hiway driving. I've got 94k miles on it and on average, it doesn't use any more oil today than it did when it was new
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #45
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
5w-30 is not to thin. The 5W is what helps your engine to have good oil flow when it's cold. As the engine warms, it thickens and the "30" is what weight oil you have in the engine. The difference between 20 and 30, isn't going to stop the 3.8 from using oil.
If I run ours on the freeway for extended periods of time, it will burn more oil than just normal city/hiway driving. I've got 94k miles on it and on average, it doesn't use any more oil today than it did when it was new
Understood, but cannot help thinking all the cars I owned before had 10W-30and rarely used/burn oil.

Here in Alabama it doesn't get cold like North, so I will probably switch to 10W-30.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.