Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The USA is the only spot the JK is sold where 5w-20 is even recommended. In this case, the mechanic is wrong.

jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
mello

Put in 10w30 Mobil 1 and call it a day. I run it in mine and at a 5,000 mile oil change oil is at same line on stick as it was when I put it in.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
IrishOneill

Will give it a try. Thank you!
IrishOneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
As much as I'd like to use 5w-30 instead of 5w-20, my mechanic advises against it. Oil passages and variable valve timing mechanisms as sensitive to thicker oil. I don't know if the 3.8 has VVT or not but I've just gotten used to adding a qt about every 2k miles. So far I've got 94k on the JK and it seems to still run as dood as new. For an experiment I did run one oil change on 5w-30 and it still burned the same amount over the coarse of an oil change.
Just my .2 worth.
The owners manual states 5w-30 is "accetable". That's engineer speak for "do it". 5w-20 is spec'd for North American markets only and is done so for emissions compliance reasons. JKs that are high oil consumers will be WAY out of emissions compliance for hydrocarbons. Feds have been forcing Chrysler to randomly test in service '07-'11 JKs. Results have not been released yet, but don't be surprised if there's big emissions recall, or even a vehicle buyback & scrap program related to high 3.8L oil consumption.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Mantis7Star

I can only hope the Fed's force a buy back! I have been burning 3-5 qts between intervals of 3k. Dealership a careless money making entity. No satisfaction or assistance to solve problem.
Mantis7Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis7Star View Post
I can only hope the Fed's force a buy back! I have been burning 3-5 qts between intervals of 3k. Dealership a careless money making entity. No satisfaction or assistance to solve problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The owners manual states 5w-30 is "accetable". That's engineer speak for "do it". 5w-20 is spec'd for North American markets only and is done so for emissions compliance reasons. JKs that are high oil consumers will be WAY out of emissions compliance for hydrocarbons. Feds have been forcing Chrysler to randomly test in service '07-'11 JKs. Results have not been released yet, but don't be surprised if there's big emissions recall, or even a vehicle buyback & scrap program related to high 3.8L oil consumption.
There will be no buy back or recall(not a safety issue).The most that will happen is they will scrap the 5w20 and tell you to go back to 5w30.

5w20 was only recommended to squeek that extra 1/10th of a mpg's for federal standards,was never to meet emission standards.Problem was they did not redesign the engine internals to run 5w20,Ford and honda did and toyota even redid there engines to run 0w20.Talk about pissed off customers when you tell them they must use 0w20 and currently it is only offered as a full syn and there oil change is now $60 instead of $25.
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would run the 5w-20 in it. All engines use some oil to a degree in order to coat the upper parts of the rings and such. Using a quart every 1k would be bad but, every oil change isn't. I know back in the day Ford's were bad about being a quart low when the oil was due for a change. I know 08's and 09 JK's had consumption issue's though due to machining work being shotty. Jeep tried to save a few penny's and had moved the engine plant over to Mexico but, since 2010 has moved back to the U.S.A. You could have one of those engines. Keep an eye on it. Just use the correct oil in it.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
No vvt in the JK 3.8L engine.
The oil passages in the 3.8 can handle 5W-30 just fine.
In fact, it's what is recommended in other parts of the world.
I'm with you on this one..... but.
I have a lifetime unlimited warranty. Let's say my engine blows and for some reason they determine I'm running 5w-30 but the manual says to use 5w-20. I don't know if they can determine this or not but for the sake of my warranty, I'm sticking with 5w-20. It just doesn't make sense not to.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea if you have the liftetime your set. My dads 08 spun a rod bearing and they replaced it with a brand new short block no questions ask.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The manual does not say anywhere not to run 5w-30.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

For the 2012, the manual says:

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy

But I know that this is also a different engine than the earlier JK's.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
The manual does not say anywhere not to run 5w-30.
It doesn't say not to run 10w-40 either. The oil cap and the manual suggest 5w-20
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

As I pointed out above, 5w-20 is spec'd fro the North American market only and for emissions certification reasons only. The manual states 5w-30 is "acceptable" , which means use it in engineer-speak.

BTW, some guys are using 10w-40 in the 3.8L with good results.
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
There will be no buy back or recall(not a safety issue).The most that will happen is they will scrap the 5w20 and tell you to go back to 5w30.
Disagree, Feds can force an emissions recall even more forcefully than one for safety if the violation is extreme and widespread, whch we know this is. We know Chrysler has been ordered to test customers' in service JKs from the '07 - '09 model year. Just don't know the result yet, and due to the Feds involvement in the bankruptcy saga this will get very political due to the costs involved.

Quote:
5w20 was only recommended to squeek that extra 1/10th of a mpg's for federal standards,was never to meet emission standards.
Good friend is a former DC engineering exec., it was done in N.A. to ensure emissions compliance at low ambient temps.

Quote:
Problem was they did not redesign the engine internals to run 5w20,Ford and honda did and toyota even redid there engines to run 0w20.Talk about pissed off customers when you tell them they must use 0w20 and currently it is only offered as a full syn and there oil change is now $60 instead of $25.
That's correct. The 3.8L was spec'd & designed over 20 years ago and its clearances are for a heavier oil. I also have Honda that's spec'd for 0w-20. It's at 47k mles and has never used a drop of oil.
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Run what you want but, there's a very good reason it calls for 5w-20 other than just emissions though that has some to do with it. How do you honestly know that the engine isn't any different than it was in 1990? Thats a big blanket statement you made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.