Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced?

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Jazeeperz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Burning Oil ... What needs to be replaced?

Hey all,

My JKUR is burning a quart of oil between oil changes. Is there something that needs to be replaced that would alleviate this? If so, what is the typical cost of the part?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Unread 12-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Rebuild engine with better rings on the pistons,and placed correctly.

Cheaper solution is to use 5w-30 oil instead and make sure your PCV system is working correctly.
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

This actually seems to be a common issue with the 3.8...I've haven't read any threads where the issue has been resolved. I would suggest checking your oil levels regularly between changes. Also, a higher viscosity oil may help
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Only a qt between changes? How long are your change intervals?
I add a qt every couple thousand miles. Now that I don't commute on the freeway for 110 miles a day, I changed my interval from 10k to 7.5k miles.
Unread 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's the key question. If you mean a qt between the recommended 6,000 mile oil changes I wouldn't sweat it. I change mine at 3k simply because it sees so much dusty off road and local low speed use. It uses maybe a 1/4 of a quart of 5w-30 between changes.

The 3.8L is a notorious oil burner. Be SURE to check your oil every time you fill up and you'll get a much better fix on whether you have a real problem or not. Common simple fixes that have been reported are changing to a higher viscosity oil and replacing the PCV valve. However, some have internal issues that have to be dealt with by tearing the engine down. Some Mexican built engines had their oil control rings installed upside down, otheres have ovalled bores. Another issue that popped up on another forum was failed valve guide seals. The latter can be fixed without a major tear down, just holding the valves up with compressed air, removing the keepers and valve springs and swapping out the seals one cylinder at a time. Best left to a shop that knows what they're doing.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Question, is it actually "burning" it, meaning you can see/smell it? Or is it vanishing into the land of lost socks?
If you can't actually tell where it's going, then you can replace your PCV valve and possibly be able to slow it down. It's got to be going somewhere, there are just a lot of pople that say they can't tell where it's going...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Switch to 5w-30.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

a perfectly healthy engine could use a quart of oil between changes, especially if those changes are 4 or 5,000 miles apart, even more so if you do a lot of stop and go or long idling.

1/4 of a quart per 1000 miles ain't going to get you into the 3.8 oil-burners club. Plenty of JK owners would kill to only burn a quart between changes.

What is your change interval? Time, miles, engine hours? What is your typical use? short trips, traffic, cold starts?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Those are the key questions, combining long change intervals with 5w-20 is a recipe for trouble. As hot as they have the 3.8L operating in the JK, with high underhood temps and an auto trans with insufficient cooling capacity the oil can only take so much. One of the reasons I change at 3k miles on mine is the high operating temps. You can mitigate those high engine temps somewhat with an auxiliary trans cooler kit, but the heat from the catalysts rises up under the hood and gets trapped. Add in that pond water 5w-20 and it will thin out & blow right past the rings, get sucked down the valve stems, etc.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Jazeeperz
2010 JK Wrangler 

I change the oil every 6k miles. I typically run 150-200 miles a week (mostly interstate). There are 96k miles on the clock. I have noticed this issue for nearly the last 30-35k miles. I was thinking changing the PCV but it is not as easy to do as it is on older vehicles. May just start putting the 5W-30 in to see how it responds. And yes, there are no exernal leaks.
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
IrishOneill

Didn't realize this issue was so prevalent. Thanks for the advice on this issue and the reassure meant knowing I am not alone.
IrishOneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trust me your not alone. Even my chrysler minivan with the 3.8 uses some oil, as does my jeep.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeeperz View Post
I change the oil every 6k miles. I typically run 150-200 miles a week (mostly interstate). There are 96k miles on the clock. I have noticed this issue for nearly the last 30-35k miles. I was thinking changing the PCV but it is not as easy to do as it is on older vehicles. May just start putting the 5W-30 in to see how it responds. And yes, there are no exernal leaks.
Sounds like a healthy engine to me.
Are you using a synthetic oil? Try the 5w-30, it won't hurt.

The PCV valve isn't too bad to change on the JK and you're about due. Don't bother simply inspecting the PCV valve, its a $10 part, just replace it.

Have you considered new plugs/wires?

using up only a quart over 6000 miles with 96k on it sounds normal, good even.

The rigs burning 4 quarts in 3,000 miles; those are the guys with problems.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

As much as I'd like to use 5w-30 instead of 5w-20, my mechanic advises against it. Oil passages and variable valve timing mechanisms as sensitive to thicker oil. I don't know if the 3.8 has VVT or not but I've just gotten used to adding a qt about every 2k miles. So far I've got 94k on the JK and it seems to still run as dood as new. For an experiment I did run one oil change on 5w-30 and it still burned the same amount over the coarse of an oil change.
Just my .2 worth.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
As much as I'd like to use 5w-30 instead of 5w-20, my mechanic advises against it. Oil passages and variable valve timing mechanisms as sensitive to thicker oil. I don't know if the 3.8 has VVT or not but I've just gotten used to adding a qt about every 2k miles. So far I've got 94k on the JK and it seems to still run as dood as new. For an experiment I did run one oil change on 5w-30 and it still burned the same amount over the coarse of an oil change.
Just my .2 worth.
No vvt in the JK 3.8L engine.
The oil passages in the 3.8 can handle 5W-30 just fine.
In fact, it's what is recommended in other parts of the world.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.