Burly looking 33" tires for stock 18" Sahara wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Burly looking 33" tires for stock 18" Sahara wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
ChuKronos

Burly looking 33" tires for stock 18" Sahara wheels

As the title states, I am looking for some burly-er looking tires for the stock 18" wheels that came with my '08 Sahara. It will be on the street mostly. I just want a tougher look. I am having a tough time finding some. Discount tire and NTB don't have any tough looking tires.

I am buying a 2" BB lift this week.

Also, If I replace the wheels, will the tpms work?

Thanks!

-Chuck

ChuKronos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Try 4 wheel parts, they have the Super Swamper Bogger. Thats about as Burly as it gets....They also have BFG Mud Terrain, Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson, etc.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
ChuKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS-Cowboy View Post
Try 4 wheel parts, they have the Super Swamper Bogger. Thats about as Burly as it gets....They also have BFG Mud Terrain, Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson, etc.
The problem I am having is that they don't seem to have any that fir the stock 10" rims. Although, I am a newb and I may be not understanding the tires correctly. The guy at Discount tire told me I couldn't go wider than 285's on the stock 18" wheels. Any suggestions?

-Chuck
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
ChuKronos

Also, I only have 3.73 gears. I did not have an option for 4.10. Can I go with larger wheels than the 32" on there now? I was hoping to have a size just over 33.5-ish".

-Chuck
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
probesport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Summit Racing has the Mickey Thompson MTZ for your size. I love my MTZ's and very tough looking.
1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo 2.5l V6

I'll find you someday and when I do, you'll know its me.
probesport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuKronos View Post
Also, I only have 3.73 gears. I did not have an option for 4.10. Can I go with larger wheels than the 32" on there now? I was hoping to have a size just over 33.5-ish".

-Chuck
I have 285/75-16 MT's - they're 33.5 x 11.50.
I'm running 4.10's with an auto on a 2-door. Around town it's takes off great, but on the highway, it suckks!!. If there's the slighest hill or headwind, its downshifting. I need 4.56's or 4.88's to get back to stock. I would think that 3.73's are still too tall IMO - lots of guys here run 35's on 3.21's and don't complain, but I don't know how - ESPECIALLY on an auto. 6spd must make a HUGE difference.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
merfsiu
2007 JK Wrangler 

Toyo MTs, best MT out there.
1982 CJ-7 Renegade - Dissasambled and waiting for an infusion of $$$$
*SOLD* 2006 Silver SW Rubicon
*Crashed* 1997 White TJ Sport
merfsiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

As for as size goes, 286/65-18 will fit just fine. BFG All Terrains will suit you nicely because they are quiet which is good for a daily driver and give good all around performance and good looks. Check out www.tirerack.com

285/65-18 comes out to be 32.5" tall, which is a little taller than your stock tires. Width will not be an issue.
Unread 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
RonKZ650
2008 JK Wrangler 

I hope the choice in 18" tires gradually gets better. Pretty much all the tires mentioned are not available in any 18" even remotely close to 255/70-18. The All Terrain TAs seem best way to go for now.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
ChuKronos

I went to a local off road shop. They told me that the '08 Sahara unlimited can't have 16" wheels. Is that true? That would limit a lot of tires and wheels.

-Chuck
Unread 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by probesport View Post
Summit Racing has the Mickey Thompson MTZ for your size. I love my MTZ's and very tough looking.
Second the MTZ...they are very tough-looking.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuKronos View Post
I went to a local off road shop. They told me that the '08 Sahara unlimited can't have 16" wheels. Is that true? That would limit a lot of tires and wheels.

-Chuck
...not sure what being an unltd has anything to do with, but I have 16" AEV's on my 2dr Sahara.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
ChuKronos

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if there is a difference between the 2 and 4 door when it comes to wheels. I wish I knew where to look it up.

-Chuck
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
ChuKronos

I just called 4wd.com and they weren't sure if the 08' sahara's had different rotors that were too large for 16" wheels. I can't find any info on the change.

-Chuck
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
wyocommander
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Per Jeep brochure and Jeep.com. The 2008 JK 2dr Sahara and Unlimited Sahara have the same size brakes, etc. as far as wheel fitment, same brakes as the 2008 2dr and 4dr X.Stock wheel on Unlimited X is 16", stock wheel on Unlimited Sahara is 18" and stock wheel on Unlimited Rubi is 17". JK have bigger brakes than the TJ so that may be what's confusing some people. So 16" will fit, but maybe not the ones the 'local shop' sells. Not all 16" are the same, but obviously there are some that fit the Unlimiteds. Shop elsewhere than this 'local shop'. PM some of the other folks on this forum who have JK Unlimiteds and have oversize tires on their rigs. Some folks use 15" with huge tires if you want a mall crawler's tires to really stand out.

Last edited by wyocommander; 02-12-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: added data
wyocommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.