Bumps Stops and Spring Lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumps Stops and Spring Lifts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

View Poll Results: Did you install new bump stops with your spring lift?
Yes (post why) 7 53.85%
No (post why) 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Bumps Stops and Spring Lifts

I did not want to hijack another related thread, so start a new one with a Poll.

I would be curious how many people that have a spring lift (not a spacer lift) actually install new bump stops - have not seen much info on that. I have the OME lift and their Nitro Charger shocks - OME maintains that I do not need new bump stops...

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

The TeraFlex 2.5” Spring lift came with bump stop extensions, so I installed them.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a 3.5" lift and run spacers for a 2".
Alot more flex and better RTI#
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

My Rusty's lift also did not come with them, so I didn't install them...funny you should post this topic, I have been giving this a lot of thought the last few days...of course, I seem to have been obsessed about a lot of things about my Jeep the last few days...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
skyjump136
2010 JK Wrangler 

On the rear I installed 2.5" teraflex extended bumpstops. On the front I did not. I have flat flares from Bushwacker and no rubbing. I'm considering removing the rear bumpstops as well since it looks like I have room. I'm running a 3.25" lift from RC and 35" KM2s.
skyjump136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, hear you...I did a lot of questioning before my OME lift decision and the reps told me to stick with the stock 2" ones, that the springs and shocks work with it per design...no problems thus far and no shock or bar pin damage - and yes, if you install bump stops equal to your lift, then you loose the articulation available - so long as you don't have coil bind problems I think you are OK.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon 3.5" came with bumpstops, I installed them. The lidt, brake line drop brackets, front and rear JKS adj trac bars. All this to run 37" MTRs. Once other mods are done, say, flat fenders, then teh swaybar disconnects go on, and maybe I'll loose the bumpstops. That's down the raod pretty far right now though.

Next mod: chrome-molys, 5.13's and ARBs, along with EVO sleeve and truss on the Dana 30.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Bob, I just did the EVO sleeve and gussets - my review is under the product review. I think that the sleeves, gussets along with my RCV chrome moly axles up front will make the Dana 30 HP run real well with my 35's - probably could do 37's, but stuck with the 35's. Next up is 4.88's.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rocky,

I've been tracking yours and N2Rocks stuff on the upgrades. I can do all of this myself, so, it'll be fun getting stuff up to snuff.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
The TeraFlex 2.5” Spring lift came with bump stop extensions, so I installed them.

x2
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

NwBronco, Thanks for the supportive comment - N2 and I don't always do the right things, but I know that both of us think about mods pretty seriously relative to what we want our Jeeps to do and how we want them to perform. Research and talking to those with experience has helped me a lot. I think we both want a strong front axle setup that will not fold up or bend on us if we happen to hit a hard spot when rock crawling. I hope you don't mind if I track your posts too....Rocky
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

It's all good. I am an old wheeler, just new to the Jeeps. I'm learning every day here as well. I think we can all learn from each other.

Bob K.
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've installed bump stops. I have a combination of products for my suspension lift. I use the following from TeraFlex: flexie control arms (all 8); trackbars; steering frame brace; flipped drag link & lower bump stops. I use the Poly Performance tie rod. I use the following from Kore: variable rate springs; braided steel brake lines & upper bump stops. Bilstein shocks. This combination gives me about 4.5" of lift & great on road & off road handling.

I sometimes do some desert type racing (I know it sounds impossible with a 3.8); but I get moving and its pretty fun. So, I'm considering adding the TeraFlex speed bumps; but I'm not sure yet.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Nope. The RC shocks that come with the lift have bumpstops built in.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Nope. The RC shocks that come with the lift have bumpstops built in.
Neither the shock, barpin, or shock mount bolts are durable enough to act as bumpstops. That's why so many people are having issues with RC shocks leaking and broken barpins.

Cut those jounce bumpers off the shocks (increasing valuable uptravel) and bumpstop your coil buckets properly so that the bumpstops bottom about 1/2" before the shock and you'll be good to go with long service life of your suspension.

I haven't priced the JK bumpstops, but the TJs are about $20. That's one of the more obvious shortcuts that were taken to make the kit more affordable.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.