Bumpers!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumpers!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
flashpoint83
2012 JK Wrangler 

My vote is for the first one, thats the one that I will buy one day. However I want the bull bar, not the "stinger" personally!

Unread 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're gonna buy a bumper, buy one made in the USA from a company that actually employs quality control. This is a concept foreign to Rugged Ridge.
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
If you're gonna buy a bumper, buy one made in the USA from a company that actually employs quality control. This is a concept foreign to Rugged Ridge.
Your AEV wheels are made in China.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at the ACE stubby with stinger. Actually, im looking at all things ACE, in love with their fenders, rock rails and rear carrier also.
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi Spank, what I would like to know from you is. What do you buy when someone like me likes the modular idea? I think being modular means if something is busted you can easily repair, no need to thow everything out and start over. Or another scenario would be that you can remove the broken or dented piece and repair that only. The piece to be repaired not being as heavy can be handled by 1 person instead of 2. Futhermore I don't have enough experience in welding and don't have a welder, but have many sockets and keys.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does an American company make Modular Bumpers? Who are they?
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Just ask ArticRubi about how strong his stinger bar was against a tree. I look at them as a way to nudge the slow-poke in front of you. They certainly will NOT stop a roll over.
Not all stingers are created equal.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
I was looking for a vid very similar to that, but point made...well built stingers absolutely WILL stop a roll over when they're properly gusseted. That is their primary purpose.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandthegypsy
Does an American company make Modular Bumpers? Who are they?
Metal cloak

Sent by Paper Planes

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDuck99 View Post
Your AEV wheels are made in China.
Which has what to do with bumpers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandthegypsy View Post
Hi Spank, what I would like to know from you is. What do you buy when someone like me likes the modular idea? I think being modular means if something is busted you can easily repair, no need to thow everything out and start over. Or another scenario would be that you can remove the broken or dented piece and repair that only. The piece to be repaired not being as heavy can be handled by 1 person instead of 2. Futhermore I don't have enough experience in welding and don't have a welder, but have many sockets and keys.
The only way you're going to break or dent a bumper from wheeling, regardless of China, USA, modular or not, is if you flat out plow the thing into a rock, tree, another vehicle, etc. Modular applications are for look, not function. They're a marketing ploy and there's a reason why most aftermarket manufacturers don't offer them.

Besides, if you really want to go for a stinger, get one that's welded to the bumper, not bolted on.
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank

Irony is funny, that's what
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
^^^^What he said. It's funny that you knock bumpers made in China but have no problem buying wheels made in China.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutup Oprah View Post
Irony is funny, that's what
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
^^^^What he said. It's funny that you knock bumpers made in China but have no problem buying wheels made in China.
Why is that funny? They aren't mutually exclusive.

My wheels from China have been great. My two different bumpers from China were not. Just because the bumpers sucked doesn't mean everything else does, too. I'm pretty sure my Warn lights came out of China, too, and they've been great.

I'm not necessarily bashing China so much as I am Rugged Ridge. They make some cool products. They just tend to make them poorly.

My old Rugged Ridge stubby front bumper started flaking off powdercoating and the threading for the bolts that held the hoop on withered away in less than a year. I had their rear bumper and tire carrier for a week before returning it because the ends of the bumper were warped, the latch was pathetic, some of the bolts couldn't reach the frame, and the bearings on the pivot were rusted right out of the box. Rugged Ridge was nice enough to send some replacement parts, but unfortunately none of them addressed the issue.

I tried Rancho's JK rear bumper and it was a joke, too. The holes for the carrier pivot weren't drilled correctly, nor was the bumper designed in a way that let you completely open it without hitting the tub. After spending a couple of hours doing Rancho's quality control job for them by redrilling holes and bending things back into place, the bumper was adequate for a while.

My wheels? I bolted them on and that was it. No issues.

So yeah, I have a problem with Chinese-made JK bumpers, but have no problem with Chinese-made wheels.
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #29
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Dude, settle down...we're only messing around.

Rugged Ridge, outside of accessory-type stuff, is complete junk. If it requires structural integrity, I don't trust them to make it.
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
RockHard426
2009 JK Wrangler 

Poison Spyder all the Way , with or without the Brawler Bar, I just put one on my JKUR and love it.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Braw.../17-59-010.htm

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Braw...7-59-010-b.htm
RockHard426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.