Bumper/winch too much weight? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumper/winch too much weight?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Bumper/winch too much weight?

I am probably going with a Rubicon when I get my severence check from work this summer. I want to remove the front bumper right away then get an after market bumper and a winch. Will I need to do anything to the suspension because of the added weight? If so, how involved?

durable1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Get some leveling spacers for the front springs - the amount of height needed would be based on before and after measurements...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

A little more height would be nice, but you don't drop that much.

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't really like either stock bumper. So...when I replace the rear I should add spacers there too? Or, better yet, just do both at the same time I guess.
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The stock JK has some rake to it from the factory - also, you probably won't be putting a winch on the rear, so, if you want keep the rake the same, I would measure before and after bumpers and winches and then determine what you need to get back to those dimensions.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Makes sense. Thanks!
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just put on an Expedition One Basic Dx bumper and Superwinch ep9 with Viking rope. My Jeep set level before and experienced no sag after install. A lot depends on the weight of the winch and bumper. My new bumper is not much more than a winch mount. The Viking rope saves a good bit of weight over the standard steel cable.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
IndianaJeepJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

i have a set of(4) 3/4 daystar spacers for sale ($40shipped) that would sit on top of your springs...you could just put the front 1's on since that's probably the distance you'll sink down with the new bumper and winch.
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
IndianaJeepJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
The Viking rope saves a good bit of weight over the standard steel cable.
x2 the rope vs. steel cable saves about 40lbs I think i read somewhere in stats for the same winch but with different rope/wire set ups.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
I just put on an Expedition One Basic Dx bumper and Superwinch ep9 with Viking rope. My Jeep set level before and experienced no sag after install. A lot depends on the weight of the winch and bumper. My new bumper is not much more than a winch mount. The Viking rope saves a good bit of weight over the standard steel cable.

ColoradoTJ,
I just checked this bumper out. It may be for me. I see an option is for "wings" but they show no pics.

How do you like the Superwinch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.