Bumper weight and loss of lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumper weight and loss of lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Bumper weight and loss of lift?

I tried a search but again. No real threads or my wording isn't right.

I'm looking at the smittybilt src bumpers front and back. The stock bumpers I assume are light even with the fogs. So will after market bumper add weight enough that ride height is noticeably lower? I understand that they are metal and more rugged but I don't want to have a lowered jeep

The src look to be a stubby and rear looks fairly light

I don't want it any lower than it is lol.

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

It wont be noticeable. It might lower it by a quarter to half inch at the most, and probably not that much. Think about the weight of a passenger. The bumpers won't amount to any more squat than that.
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal now.
Unread 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

AEV has some info about their bumper wieght vs. stock and how much it will lower a JK. It is under FAQ on their site
basto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basto
AEV has some info about their bumper wieght vs. stock and how much it will lower a JK. It is under FAQ on their site
Awesome. Thanks I will definitely check it out.
Unread 09-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bumper alone = no big deal... Add a winch and front skid plate = more like 1" sag.
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

While my bumper is only a stubby, I don't think I had any noticeable sag. I did have a chance to look a the Smittybuilt at the local shop in town and I'd say that it is considerably heavier than mine, though I don't think it will have that big of an effect. No Return is right, adding the winch (80lbs) and skids is where you start noticing!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

So basically a 2" lift like I plan and bumpers/winch will bring me roughly back to Stock height? Gees Louise I can't win!

4" long arm it is . I wish
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I added up the weight of the bumper/winch combo I'm looking at and figured it weighs a little less than I do so I sat on my bumper and had my wife measure the drop, I lost about 5/8" on the front. Now remove the weight of the factory bumper and the difference will be even less. Not a major drop really but it did add ammo for me to convince her I need a bigger lift. lol
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing
I added up the weight of the bumper/winch combo I'm looking at and figured it weighs a little less than I do so I sat on my bumper and had my wife measure the drop, I lost about 5/8" on the front. Now remove the weight of the factory bumper and the difference will be even less. Not a major drop really but it did add ammo for me to convince her I need a bigger lift. lol
Lmao!!! Ill try that too
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
11_12Rubi
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've got a 012 Rubicon w trailer tow. When I installed a Warn Elite front bumper and Warn M8000 winch I lost a measured 3/4" @ centerline of front wheels to fender. Daystar 3/4" spring spacers brought it up to where it was stock. Alignment was checked at dealer who said it was within spec. Hope that helps a little.
11_12Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_12Rubi View Post
I've got a 012 Rubicon w trailer tow. When I installed a Warn Elite front bumper and Warn M8000 winch I lost a measured 3/4" @ centerline of front wheels to fender. Daystar 3/4" spring spacers brought it up to where it was stock. Alignment was checked at dealer who said it was within spec. Hope that helps a little.
How did the bumper, winch and spacers affect ride quality on the highway?
basto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
i was going to suggest this too! manufacturer sites usually have at least shipping weight u could use too.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Spanky916
2008 JK Wrangler 

Buddy of mine in TX who has a truck custom shop that do nothing but lift and outfit trucks and Jeeps told me to wait just a bit on the bumpers. Said Smittybilt should be having a "special" in the next few weeks. Buy front and rear bumpers and they will throw in the fenders for free!
Spanky916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky916
Buddy of mine in TX who has a truck custom shop that do nothing but lift and outfit trucks and Jeeps told me to wait just a bit on the bumpers. Said Smittybilt should be having a "special" in the next few weeks. Buy front and rear bumpers and they will throw in the fenders for free!
Really!!!! I'll keep looking online. If under something I'll post it here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.