Bumper/frame bent.. fixable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumper/frame bent.. fixable?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
LoveAberrantly
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bumper/frame bent.. fixable?

Hello everyone!

My Jeepster and I got into a crappy accident recently. After learning of the deductible and estimates, I decided to fix it myself, as I thought it was just the bumper. After I finally removed the warped bumper, I came across what I was fearing to see. (I hopefully added the pictured correctly, if I didn't the imgur link is below).

Has anyone seen this before, and is it something that looks fixable?

Thanks everyone! Again, I apologize if this is the wrong thread--if it is, please kindly steer me to the right destination.

http://imgur.com/a/qXgpD

bumper-1-edited.jpg   bumper-2.jpg  
LoveAberrantly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You have a JK not a TJ and your thread would be a better fit over in the JK section. I'm sure a mod will move it once they see it.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like the damage is in non-critical areas, so repairs should be easy (nothing more difficult than a cut-and-weld job). However, you really need to get the frame measured to see if the damage extends further back.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On a TJ, there is a grid of drilled holes on the inside of the frame. If they are deformed (not round) then the frame took a good hit and you will definitely want someone reputable to tell you if it's ok. Take it for an alignment. If the thrust angle is off, the problem is serious and you may find, down the road, your jeep darting into a guardrail or worse; and you may have never noticed problem before that happened.

This was my experience. 11 years on a bent frame, with two additional accidents caused by the bent frame, and no indications of a problem in between.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have a JK, not a TJ or Jeepster.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
LoveAberrantly
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
You have a JK not a TJ and your thread would be a better fit over in the JK section. I'm sure a mod will move it once they see it.
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that! If I could move it, I would, but I don't want to double-post.
LoveAberrantly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to JK Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

If it was me, I'd try attaching the metal core of the bumper to the bent side with the bumper sticking past the wheels and try prying it back to being as strait as possible. Then I'd either pick up a bumper take off from Craigslist and be on my way.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bumper , damage , frame repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.