Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bump Steer or something else? 2010 4dr JK 1,500 miles

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DeepSky 
#1 ·
Im sure this is not DW. If I drive over a bump in the road, the steering wheel goes from side to side very slowly, very sluggishly. No other types of vibrations or steering wheel wobbling at any other time. Just started today.
Truck has a 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires.
Any help apreciated

#3 ·
by design, the jeep suspension will always have bump steer. At stock ride heights, the change in angles are not enough to make you feel it.

If you're not hitting the speed bump perfectly straight, you will get a bit of pull on the steering wheel, especially with bigger tires. This is normal and not really bump steer. do you notice any ill effects while driving around ? Or just speed bumps ?

#4 ·
Did you install an adj track bar or relocation bracket with the lift? Not having the track bar parallel to the drag link can cause bump steer - do a search on it and many threads will come up...

#7 ·
Check your toe-in as well. A brief wobble back and forth after hitting a bump was very exaggerated when my toe was not set properly.

Also, you should really invest in adjustable trackbars with 4" of lift. This happened to me driving down the road because I had to use a relocation bracket. My Jeep's front end hasn't been the same since:

#9 ·
Check your toe-in as well. A brief wobble back and forth after hitting a bump was very exaggerated when my toe was not set properly.

Also, you should really invest in adjustable trackbars with 4" of lift. This happened to me driving down the road because I had to use a relocation bracket. My Jeep's front end hasn't been the same since:
Hey Deep, did you toe in or out to solve your issue? Also was it vibes when hitting bumps or rough roads?

#8 ·
After a weird accident I won't go into my front axle was shifted to the left about half an inch. Drove terribly, steering differently in each direction and really feeling funny on bumps and RRcrossings and such. So, getting the axles in the center might solve some problems for ya.

#12 ·
The research I've done has shown the a drop pitman arm on only 4" of lift is not only unnecessary but can actually throw your geometry off further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.