Building Rock Rails - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Building Rock Rails

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #46
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

To help you visualize your projects use cardboard and masking tape to build it first. I have also used wood but old boxes are cheap and are closer to the thickness of steel. If you don't have any go to your local recycle center and get some.

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #47
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

^^^^^

There is a posterboard thats foam, rigid and 3/16" thick that Ive been finding very helpful. Can be found at like arts and crafts stores for cheap. A sharp exacto knife will cut it easy and clean as well.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #48
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
To help you visualize your projects use cardboard and masking tape to build it first. I have also used wood but old boxes are cheap and are closer to the thickness of steel. If you don't have any go to your local recycle center and get some.
Wow, you know, I had never even considered building a mockup first.... good idea!
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #49
mav383
2009 JK Wrangler 

NEW Sliders

Made these a few weeks ago. Didnt have time to do the round step thing but that will be soon. They are made of 2" square 5/16 wall tube. I mounted them alot like the rubicon sliders, to the body only, along the pinch seam with supports running inward to the body.
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #50
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, it's been a nasty cold winter and no time to work on the rails....
Finally got a 40 degree day so we cleaned up the rails and got them primed.
They look awesome, I actually really like the white primer, too bad there's no way to keep that looking good!!
Just a little touch up on the primer and another warm day to get the bedliner rolled on...
railssm.jpg  
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #51
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav383 View Post
Made these a few weeks ago. Didnt have time to do the round step thing but that will be soon. They are made of 2" square 5/16 wall tube. I mounted them alot like the rubicon sliders, to the body only, along the pinch seam with supports running inward to the body.
From the pic they look like Rubi rails. Great job.
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #52
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
...I actually really like the white primer, too bad there's no way to keep that looking good!!
Those do look terrific all primed up but you’ll actually like them more with the final finish. Nice work.
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #53
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can't wait to get them on, my 6 year old daughter keeps bugging me about getting the "step" on the Jeep. With the temps we've been having, I need to make sure they have plenty of time to cure. We'll probably do the bedliner, and then after a day or so bring them into the basement and let them sit for a week or so...
I'm the most impatient person on the planet....ugh...

Protip.....if you're doing something like this, buy TWO different colors of the same kind of primer....spray one color on the first coat, then the other for the second.. I thought of this when I was attempting to put on the second coat and couldn't tell where I'd covered...

Hindsight...
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #54
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice work!

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #55
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I always use a dark color primer under a black finish, I learned this along time ago with scratches showing as a light grey mark.
You did a great job
We look forward to seeing more builds from you!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #56
S_Bartfast
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sensational effort there!!!
Has there been any progress in the last couple of years?

Also, could I get detailed measurements from you?
I'm interested in building exactly what you have there and would like to knock up some plans on my computer.
If you could, could I get you to measure and note down all the dimensions and I will make a set of plans for any other would be backyard fabricators to follow. Things like steel thickness, distances between holes (centre to centre) and angles of cuts. I know it's not the way you worked your self, but I have been building a roof rack for my JK and have found having a computer model of the design invaluable. Any plans I create I will of course make freely available.

In any event, I'm really impressed with your work.
S_Bartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.