Building Rock Rails - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Building Rock Rails

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

good job on the rails this winter Id like to mod my Rubicon rails a little bit......do you got the link to the tube bender, looks easy enough to make, just curious about how much of an angle it will bend (degree wise), are the dies expensive?

monkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice job man!
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
...We're going to use the 3 Cab Mounts and make a U-Channel/box bracket that will also mount to the frame...
Can you do a body mount and a frame mount? I thought you had to do frame or body mount, but not both? I know from experience the body and rear bumper (which is mounted to the frame) move independently.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Okay, here's the progress today....

FInished grinding and assembling the second rail...

Basically finished pair of rails.
We tacked on diamond plate "steps", we're still going to match the diamond plate on the rounded portion as well for a little bit of traction. We're going to finish the welds all the way around to eliminate the possibility of water penetration underneath.

The mount we're going to do is both a body, and frame mount. There is a retail pair of rails that uses the same setup. Basically a U-Channel box that bolts to the body mount vertically, with the end boxed in and a tab that drops down the frame rail where we will put in two bolts per mount horizontally into the frame.
We're going to work up the mounts next so we'll see how it all ends up.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Can you do a body mount and a frame mount? I thought you had to do frame or body mount, but not both? I know from experience the body and rear bumper (which is mounted to the frame) move independently.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to check into this before we proceed.

That's why I'm here, I want to hear these things to make sure we don't do something stupid!!!
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #21
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Man I wish I had the tools and space for a project like that, those things are SWEET BRO!!!!!! Nice work!

Hey 100th post for me, Woo! LOL
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to check into this before we proceed...
I’m sure it will bolt up, the question is does all of the body flex somewhat independently of the frame? I would like to hear what you find out.

BTW - They’re looking good! After your welding is complete are you going to dunk them in water to see if you welded everything nice and water tight?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #23
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to check into this before we proceed.

That's why I'm here, I want to hear these things to make sure we don't do something stupid!!!
If I understand how you are mounting them correctly, you wont have any problems with using both the body mounts and frame. The body mounts are welded onto the frame so in a sense its the same support, just different places. Just dont use the bolt that goes through the body mounts that holds the body to the frame, you might have some problems using that method. Those other 2 body bolts are perfect, and is what I wanted to use as well, they were just too difficult for me to fab a bracket up for.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #24
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
good job on the rails this winter Id like to mod my Rubicon rails a little bit......do you got the link to the tube bender, looks easy enough to make, just curious about how much of an angle it will bend (degree wise), are the dies expensive?
My brother in law says they got them from a site called Blind Chicken. I haven't searched for it yet but he says the plans are free and you can buy a variety of dies. I think the 1 1/2" that we were bending is getting toward the upper limit of what it can do.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #25
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
I’m sure it will bolt up, the question is does all of the body flex somewhat independently of the frame? I would like to hear what you find out.

BTW - They’re looking good! After your welding is complete are you going to dunk them in water to see if you welded everything nice and water tight?
I hadn't even considered that....see, just learned something else today.

We're going to acid etch them and then prime them (or use a self etching primer) and roll the bedliner on.
Was hoping to get them done this week, but tomorrow it's supposed to be -5000 degrees outside....ugh....need a garage heater.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #26
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I found the mounting system that we're thinking of trying, it's used by ACE Engineering on their rock rails...
acerock.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #27
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I hadn't even considered that....see, just learned something else today.

We're going to acid etch them and then prime them (or use a self etching primer) and roll the bedliner on.
Was hoping to get them done this week, but tomorrow it's supposed to be -5000 degrees outside....ugh....need a garage heater.
I dont know what bedliner your going to use but rustoleum bedliner drys pretty damn fast....it was maybe 65f in my garage when I used it and it dried in just 2-3 hours. Got tacky just after maybe 30mins, I actually had to hurry myself. Just dont put a ton of stress on it for the 24 hours. Make sure to have decent ventilation, this stuff really stinks just like fiberglass resin, a mask wouldnt be a bad idea either....it made half my house smell for a day even with the garage cracked and fan going.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #28
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I dont know what bedliner your going to use but rustoleum bedliner drys pretty damn fast....it was maybe 65f in my garage when I used it and it dried in just 2-3 hours. Got tacky just after maybe 30mins, I actually had to hurry myself. Just dont put a ton of stress on it for the 24 hours. Make sure to have decent ventilation, this stuff really stinks just like fiberglass resin, a mask wouldnt be a bad idea either....it made half my house smell for a day even with the garage cracked and fan going.
Good to know, I'll do it at my brother in law's house!!
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #29
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Okay, took a couple days off for real work and Turkey day...
Here's what we did today....

Today was more technical than productive. Made the base of the bracket that will go up inside the cab mount bucket. Not too bad, but bracket x6.

Finished, tweaked bracket base...now make 5 more.

mnaged to tack together the portion that the attachment bolts will run through. Tomorrow we will bolt them to the frame, tack in gussets, and finish up the tabs/supports. should be exciting tomorrow.

Sorry about the oversized images, I tried to edit them, but I can't...
2010-11-26_14-43-18_817.jpg   2010-11-26_15-40-29_260.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's the progress for today.

Finished boxing in Cab mount brackets, fitting, and drilling pilot holes in the frame.

Mocked up rail and tacked on tabs, begain tacking in supports for strength.

Actually got alot done today, close to finishing one complete rail.
Got all 6 mounts fitted and all frame mounting points drilled and tapped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.