Building Rock Rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Building Rock Rails

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Building Rock Rails

So, at the promptings of my brother in law who is a total badass at fabbing pretty much anything, we decided to build our own rock rails/steps.
Most rails seem horribly overpriced and I don't like the angles they use...so one big benefit to making your own, you can make them how you want...

The initial parts list:
Full stick each of:
2x3x1/4" square tube stock
2" angle
1 1/2"x.120 OD Round Tubestock.
Scrap of 1/8 Diamond plate.

Total cost $187.00

I used 1/4" tube stock because after the Nuclear holocost, there are going to be three things left intact.....****roaches, twinkies, and my rock rails.

I haven't welded since shop class in High school, so this was the perfect project to relearn on....

Started by ripping 1" off the angle lengthwise to get the angle that I want on the extended rail/step.

Tack together and let monkeyboy (me) try to hurt himself with the welder.

After tacked together, we welded Diamond plate to box in the ends..

Finish welding, cleanup, and start the process of grinding to the profile that makes you happy...

Clean rough rail, quick mockup to check some final measurements and send a pic to the wife....

Cut tubing and bend on their homemede tubing bender that's freaking awesome...

Cut supports, tack in place, finish welds.

One badass rail roughly done. Approx weight 55 lbs.

That's as far as we made it this weekend. Probably be finished by the end of the week. We have decided on the mounting brackets that we want to make and I'm still up in the air on whether or not to Powerdcoat, or Bedline. I'm leaning towards bedliner because I can do it, and maintain it myself...

I'll post more as the project proceeds this week....

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very Nice... I love DIY Fabricated stuff.

Don't make them too long, I think .50 - .75" short of the end of the pinch weld at the rear.
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry if you were one of the first to look at it and see ALL the same picture...Photobucket is having issues.

Any input on this as we go would be GREATLY appreciated....

These badboys are going to be BULLETPROOF.

Thanks..

Paul.
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
Very Nice... I love DIY Fabricated stuff.

Don't make them too long, I think .50 - .75" short of the end of the pinch weld at the rear.
Oh, and I agree...you're right on, I plan on cutting the pinch seam as part of this project, so made the length and angle to all line up when done....

Thanks...
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks really good! Like No_Return said make sure you leave enough room in the back.

Stock Rubicon slider with 35”:

Not a lot of space. You’ll get rubbing on the trails:

Hacked them back to give plenty of clearance:

Bent the pinch seam back - doesn’t rub with 35s:
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's the side shot of the rails, we cut them at a 60 degree angle to match the fenders....

when we cut the pinch seam, it should all line up nicely...

Love the pics of what others have done!!!!

Thanks.
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Here's the side shot of the rails, we cut them at a 60 degree angle to match the fenders....

when we cut the pinch seam, it should all line up nicely...

Love the pics of what others have done!!!!

Thanks.
You have plenty of clearance with your rails It will be perfect when you adjust the pinch seam.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's nice to have someone that is confident and competent to give you the confidence to do a project like this...I love the feeling of building something myself....
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Very nice rails.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice project and love the DIY approach. Are you going to show any details concerning how they are mounted? Great work so far.
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Nice project and love the DIY approach. Are you going to show any details concerning how they are mounted? Great work so far.
Yes, absolutely, We saw a mounting system on another retail set that looks super tough. We're going to use the 3 Cab Mounts and make a U-Channel/box bracket that will also mount to the frame, should be very secure and not too terribly hard to make, but MUCH stronger than a simple tab.
It looks like I've got my work cut out for me for at least two more evenings getting the other rail cleaned up. It's a little tedious, but not hard at all. Just need to try not to light the garage on fire.

Any thoughts/input on bedlining these? I think I have the process in my head, but haven't done it before, I'm wondering about the best prep method...

So far the project has been pretty simple, there are a few tools/jigs that were invaluable, the rest is just good old fashioned garage ingenuity.
We used a bench mounted clamp that holds a holesaw to cut the rounded mating portion of the three supports, this was 30$ at harbor freight.
The other special item is the tubing bender. My brother in law and his father made a couple of them out of plans on the internet, the company posts the plans for free and you purchase the dies from them, so they still make their money. It's powered by a manual hydraulic jack and is pretty simple in design, pure genius if you ask me, I'll get a better picture of it.

More pics when I get them...
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really like rustoleum bedliner, the liquid type. I used it on my rear bumper and it went on very easy and uniformed with a small roller. After my rock guards get banged up a little more I plan on coating them with it as well. This stuff will go on anything, actually smells just like fiberglass resin and is paintable. I would just use a basic primer if you want some added protection, I think it seals well though without anything. I was in a car crush event and this stuff didnt even get scratched.

GJ on the rails, the mounting was the hardest part when I made mine. Getting everything lined up and stuff was a pain in the butt, just take your time is my best advice.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input! I'll look into the Rustoleum.. I had planned on priming, but hadn't really formulated that process in my head yet... The Mounting looks a little technical, I've been thinking about making a template out of plywood, should be easy enough to put under the cab and make some indents with a soft hammer to get the spacing perfect.....don't know yet, we'll figure it out....
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

here is my thread on the project if you want to see how I mounted mine
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...tures-1095555/

I have added some more bolts on the sides of those bracket sense I took the pictures. Basically just threaded my own holes into the frame for some added support.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, very nice setup, I like your mounting system, I'll have to keep that in mind... Those babys look very strong!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.