Building a correct lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Building a correct lift

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

Building a correct lift

I'm getting ready to buy a lift and want to make sure I have everything covered. Here's the parts list:

Teraflex 2.5" cool lift with no shocks
Bilstein 5100 shocks front/rear
Bilstein steering stabilizer shock
Front trackbar
Rear trackbar
Front lower flexarms
Eventually QD sway bars

Do I not need the front upper flexarms or rear upper/lower flex arms??

zpayne08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

If your stock steering stabilizer is in good shape you do not need to replace it. But that is a good starting point. Pretty much the setup I have now minus the front trackbar.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

2 door or 4 door?

rear upper flexarms if its a 2 door. teraflex install instructions have a chart for which arms they recommend for which version of the jeep. Or just do all 8.
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's a two door. I've been talking to a teraflex rep over the last couple weeks but want other opinions. I can't afford to do all the extra stuff at once so I'm probably on a start with the lift/shocks and the front lower arms and track bar. May go with upper arms in front too just to finish the front out.

Another question is since it has a daystar spacer lift how do I know which parts are factory and which is the spacer lift when I have the jeep in my shop for surgery?
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oh, and I forgot about the exhaust. If I get the 2.5" AFE hi-tuck catback will that work without the spacer? I want an exhaust anyways so figured I'd knock it out of the way next paycheck
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Steering stabilizer is a waste of money unless yours is crushed.

What size tires are you running and your gear ratio?

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Haven't there been a lot of negative reviews of the bilstein stabilizer, creates a pull to one side because it is a nitrogen charged shock? Maybe this is just an internet rumor?

I got a new rancho one for free when I ordered my rancho shocks and I noticed zero difference between the stock and new one.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpayne08 View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a lift and want to make sure I have everything covered. Here's the parts list:

Teraflex 2.5" cool lift with no shocks
Bilstein 5100 shocks front/rear
Bilstein steering stabilizer shock
Front trackbar
Rear trackbar
Front lower flexarms
Eventually QD sway bars

Do I not need the front upper flexarms or rear upper/lower flex arms??
You probably do not need the stabilizer unless you have a damaged one. I would spend that money to buy a bracket to move the steering stabilizer up and out of the way.
Why get a new rear trackbar when you can get a bracket that lifts the trackbar. The stock one will work for you for now.
I would get the QuckDisconnects early in your build, you will flex more and the ride is a lot more enjoyable off road with the front sway bar disconnected.
If you are going to get the control arms, I advise you get all 8 and be done with it. I don't know that you need them though, mine have 30000 miles on them and they are still in good shape minus the lower fronts which I replaced because of some trail damage.
Good luck making decisions on all this stuff.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm runnin 33x12.50r17 Mickey Thompson MTZ with 3.21 gears and stick shift. The dealer put it all on when they got it new. If that's the case I'll just leave the stabilizer alone for now
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

sell the stock stabilizer also and spend the money elsewhere...
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

thinkin about saying screw it and just buy it all lol. getting the kit, bilsteins, trackbars, and the control arm kit. taxes are coming up plus im getting some $$$ back on an extended warranty that had 4 years left on a vehicle i traded in.

will the AFE exhaust be enough to miss the drive line boot or will i still need spacers?
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

The catback isn't the part that needs a spacer. The Y pipe is the part that needs to be replaced. As far as I can tell the AFE catback doesn't include the Y pipe, although they do sell a Y pipe separately. The spacers teraflex sells work fine and are cheaper than a y pipe.
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

oh ok. thatll cut down the price a few hundred bucks. i mean i will eventually put on an exhaust but its not a priority if it needs spacers anyways. i looked on their website and only saw the y pipe for the 4 door, maybe i missed it
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

and since shocks are new (jeep has under 7,000 miles) i may spend an extra $7 on the lift with shock extensions and use the stock shocks for a while until i free up $350. it is the exact same kit other than the adapters correct?
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

IIRC The kits are the same with the exception of the shocks. The Bilsteins are good. They are noticeably better then the Teraflex shocks. I would guess the stock shocks would ride pretty well with the extensions. I'd like to try Rancho Shocks next, everyone loves them, and they are adjustable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.