Bug-Out! Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bug-Out! Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Bug-Out! Build

Made my choices ... started buying stuff.

I read all I can read and I can't handle any more opinions! I decided what I'm doing for my Jeep.

First I am naming it Bug Out! Many of my friends have bug out bags and such and I guess I do too if you count my hunting gear bags. But what good are bug out bags if you can't go anywhere? So I bought my JKU in Commando Green back in May. I will have work on decals for the name.

Bug Out!, Bugout! or Bug-Out! - not sure yet...

Lift Kit:
I decided on a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2501_07.htm I can do the shocks later if I need to.

I can't afford new wheels all around at this point, so I'll stick with the stock 32's (255/75R17 OWL) and install Spidertrax spacers. The spacers showed up today. Eventually, when the cash becomes available I'll get proper wheels and 33" tires.

Armor:
Previously I had installed Smittybilt SRC Side Armor.

I still have not decided on bumpers - but I don't have the cash for those yet so I have time to figure it out.

Installing:
So this evening I decided to simply install those spacers. After two hours in the heat and humidity I finally found my tools. For the life of me I could not find my 3/4 deep well impact socket. Without that the lugs nuts were staying put. I've been putting it off but I finally HAVE to clean my garage. Maybe this weekend? By the time I found what I needed it was dark and I was sweaty and hot. I did the fronts tonight. Tomorrow it will be nothing to do the rears. At least I know where my tools are now.

Next month I should be able to buy the lift kit. I hope it's cooler when I try to install that.

It's a small "build", but it's my build and my budget.

jk_side_topless.jpg  

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

It's the little things - like being able to find your tools!

Took 20 minutes in the sauna like weather to install the rear wheel spacers. Beer me!

Unread 09-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Ordered parts

I have a sickness and it must be cured! With more Jeep parts! Just ordered a lift kit, TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift, from 4WheelParts. I was able to get 5% off and free shipping! Now the tough part comes - W A I T I N G

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd install the Teraflex rear track bar bracket brace instead of the drop bracket they include.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
I'd install the Teraflex rear track bar bracket brace instead of the drop bracket they include.
This lift comes with just the one rear track bar bracket, drivers side I think. They sell a separate track bar bracket for the other side. Is this what you're talking about? http://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_9011_07.htm

Unread 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep. You're just adding extra stress to the frame side bracket with the included drop bracket. The brace you linked is what I was referring to. It will prevent your axle side bracket from failing and will still allow you to recenter your rear axle.
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep. You're just adding extra stress to the frame side bracket with the included drop bracket. The brace you linked is what I was referring to. It will prevent your axle side bracket from failing and will still allow you to recenter your rear axle.
Thanks for this info. I am a total noobie with this stuff. I grew up in my Dad's gas station garage, but today I'm a pure computer geek. I can read and research anything but I have no experience in actual setups. Part of the reason I am choosing Teraflex is recommendations in these forums and in part the TeraFlex YouTube videos. They offer a lot of information that appears to be more than just promotional. This video taught me a lot.

One question. Can this part be added later on? It looks like it. I'm not in a huge hurry to go rock crawling. We just get a lot of snow in MN.

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can add it later, but you'll have to remove the drop bracket. I'm just recommending it now so you don't have to drill a hole in your existing frame side bracket to install the drop bracket.
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You can add it later, but you'll have to remove the drop bracket. I'm just recommending it now so you don't have to drill a hole in your existing frame side bracket to install the drop bracket.
The kit comes with drivers side axle bracket...at least mine did a couple years ago. I dont think they do the drop bracket anymore...

Edit: pic on quadratec looks like the drop bracket... hmm
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry just saw you wrote that you're going with the coil lift. I saw "shock extensions" and assumed it was the BB. You should get the brace I was talking about with your kit.

Can't delete this comment since I'm not a premium member..
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The quadratec lift he originally referenced comes with the frame side drop bracket. Not the axle side track bar brace.
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

IIRC Teraflex sells the axle side bracket with the coil lifts and the drop bracket with the Spacer lift now.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

UPS came to my house today! I think my weekend plans are set.
1371789_10151855489552258_2096439247_n.jpg  

Unread 09-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like I was right
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like I was right
Yes, only the frame side trackbar bracket. Oh well. I'll do the other later if I need.

So far today I'm working on my Jeep. The lift kit is about 1/2 installed just a little more to do on the rear before doing the front. So far it's going in without issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.