Bug deflector help save windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bug deflector help save windshield?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
sinawalli
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bug deflector help save windshield?

Fellow at work told me a bug deflector can help save my windshield. What does anyone think?

sinawalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It does help protect from rocks bouncing off the hood and hitting the lower windshield but by no means does it stop it from happening higher on the windshield.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Fellow at work told me a bug deflector can help save my windshield. What does anyone think?
I think the fellow at work is correct. The bug deflector can change the path of a rock that happens to hit it.
Unfortunately, most rocks approach the windshield from above the height of the common bug deflector.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

did not help mine at all. first window 2 repairs then a few weeks ago a truck kicked up a large UFO totaled the window. I would say that the deflector has saved the leading edge of the hood from chips.
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

It has not stopped a thing from hitting my windshield. Bugs or rocks but I like the way it looks so I left it on. It has stopped rock chips on the front of my hood only.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

We lost 2 windshields to getting pinged on the bottom edge under the wipers from rocks bouncing off the hood. Since installing the bug deflector that has stopped however, it doesn't stop bugs and rocks higher up.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's only going to save the windshield from things that are flying up through that tiny little 2" region it covers.

Look at it this way: the windshield is there to save YOU from flying objects.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

IMHO, there is actually no way of telling whether a bug deflector has saved your window or not - without doing some sort of "mythbusters" testing. I would imagine that it would have an effect on the wind pattern across the hood, so there is a possibility that it might have some sort of beneficial or even negative effect.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

at 200mph it may well create enough force to direct the air up enough to matter(though i think mine would not stay on the jeep at 200mph). BUT does it really matter if it hit low, middle or top? once its broke its broke. If they ever stop free replacement on full coverage i will install a polycarbonate/ lexan type front , the one in that thread that went TROLL. I do not have a inspection here. I can run what ever i want, from the motor to the lack of fenders etc.. AZ no gun permits for open or concealed. Its your choice and its your rights.

But the UFO that hit me would have not damaged the new plastic windows. Mt window put glass on my lap the object made a 3/8 hole THROUGH the window. Then i had to wheel all day with that, what a world.....
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wish it did. I need a new windshield at least once a year. One rock, I saw sail into my windshield like a pop fly ball.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

If anything it saves your windshield from pitting of smaller debris. Other than that, they are useless... Won't stop anything that that will cause chipping.

My proof? Mind you it isn't a Jeep but my brothers both have the same truck. 2006 Dodge Rams... One has a bug shield, the other doesn't... One brother has a bunch of pitting in his window while the other doesn't... Both factory glass (as they bought the trucks new), both drive the same distance each day in the same conditions because they live near each other as well as work at the same place, etc, etc...

HOWEVER, with the bug guard, there is still the top 1/4 or so that still gets minor pitting while the one without has the whole thing pitted. No chips for either of them though and I don't attribute that to the bug shield because my father who ALSO has the same truck as my brothers, gets a new windshield every year due to rock chips as well as having a bug guard on...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll tell you this if you combined it with a CAI those rocks will get better gas mileage

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Our JKU with the deflector needs a new windshield just as often as the JK without. I have not noticed any difference.
J33PNSL33P is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.