Budget Homemade Jeep Doorless Mirror Mounts - 2012 JK-S 2door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Homemade Jeep Doorless Mirror Mounts - 2012 JK-S 2door

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
syvil
2012 JK Wrangler 

Budget Homemade Jeep Doorless Mirror Mounts - 2012 JK-S 2door

Hi All,

I'm taking a fishing trip next weekend and I'm going doorless to the coast. I need a mirror and found this neat article on some budget mirrors: http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html I was going to buy some $60 ones that were almost similar, but why pay $60 for something I can do for $14?

Anyway I followed the directions but the 3/8 bolt is just a tad too large, I haven't bent the piece yet so maybe that will widen it up. This has me wondering will this 3/8 x 2 bolt fit in my door hinge on my 2012 JK-S 2door? If anyone has done this before or something similar any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance! This forum has been awesome so far!

syvil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i just used 2.5 inch convex stick ons that cost 4$. stick them on the A pillerfew inches down from the roll bar. hard to say if its legal, but at least here no one cares enough to stop a Jeep for about anything.

As for the door hing on the Jeep there is a plastic bushing in there. Not sure how easy that is to remove or what a bolt may do to it in the long run. Might want to see if that comes out with breaking it?
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
n3qik
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just had my doors off today.

The ID of the hinge is .410

3/8 = .375

So it will work.
Previous:2012 2-door Wrangler Sport S-"Dozer Clear Coat" w/ manual- Stock-9K Miles Sold 3/2013
2005 Liberty w/ 2.8 Diesel-50K miles- Sold 2/2012
n3qik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Long stem motorcycle mirrors. Cheap, solid, will last and look good.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

syvil,

I use these exact same mirrors and bolts on my 2007 (and now 2012). I had to open the hole on the mirror bracket for the bolt a little bit. But the bolts go through the hinge just fine.

Cheap and legal. Go for it!
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
syvil
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth View Post
syvil,

I use these exact same mirrors and bolts on my 2007 (and now 2012). I had to open the hole on the mirror bracket for the bolt a little bit. But the bolts go through the hinge just fine.

Cheap and legal. Go for it!
Thanks! This forum has been awesome with the amounts of information on here
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i just used 2.5 inch convex stick ons that cost 4$. stick them on the A pillerfew inches down from the roll bar. hard to say if its legal, but at least here no one cares enough to stop a Jeep for about anything.

As for the door hing on the Jeep there is a plastic bushing in there. Not sure how easy that is to remove or what a bolt may do to it in the long run. Might want to see if that comes out with breaking it?
I did this and stuck them to the vents. Where I'm at, I dont need any more than one rearward facing mirror to be legal, but help with the blind spot just to be safe.

When in use I just close the vents and when doors are on I can still open the vents and use them. $4 mirrors are the right price, and I'm pulling doors and driving away as I dont have them off very often.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have heard that cycle mirror and many other viberate a lot. Google it. Pluss the way we crawl around here anything sticking out ends up broke. I had to rebuild my plate holder from the last outing.

Some of the harley mirrors are nice though, just i would break em anyway. 4$ if they fall off who cares. somethings I am cheep about.
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Topbanana
2011 JK Wrangler 

I use Harley mirrors also (swapped out stockers for custom set on my bike and had them in the spare parts bin), fit right through the hinge and as long as you don't "reef'em" when you know your
going to be going off roading they'll swing away instead of busting. If your stayin' on the highway you can
snug'em up a little tighter to stop the image vibration.
Topbanana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

X2 on the motorcycle mirrors, cheap and easy! Plus it gives you a reason to buy new mirrors for your bike!
2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
jdepasqu

This may be a little late to the party. But I have a set of TJ mirrors with the stock mount that I welded a bolt to. Now I just throw them in the hinge. They aren't useful for seeing anything but they keep you from getting pulled over.

JD
jdepasqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
syvil
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just wanted to follow up and say this worked out great! They held up well at 80MPH there is lots of vibration but with the doors and top off I really didn't use the mirror when switching lanes since a quick look back is easy enough. Kept the cops off my tail and only cost $15.
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Here's mine. Home made except the 6" CIPA SS convex mirror. Both painted flat black now, stock mirrors on the door taken off! More pics when I get home from work!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/c...66/index3.html
mirror-20mount-20mod-207.jpg  
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.