Brake Suggestions, Please! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Suggestions, Please!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV
Just replaced the rear brakes with regular ceramic pads and the standard rotors, installed the teraflex big brake kit up front and the larger master cylinder. Very happy with the results since the Jeep is wear the 32" sneakers. I upgraded for the eventual 37" tire upgrade with the larger rolling mass.
Looks like ill just have to go with " normal " brakes for the rear. As for the big break kit can 15" wheels still be used ?

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Mopar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya

Looks like ill just have to go with " normal " brakes for the rear. As for the big break kit can 15" wheels still be used ?
No, you'll have to stick with stock sized components.
Mopar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fan

No, you'll have to stick with stock sized components.

This gets better and better lol. Looks like normal brakes all around for me
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok. So following the advice of a few people I decided to just get OEM replacement rotors, pads and shoes for the rear. Also bought the "hardware kit" clips and runner boots for the bolts.

I opened the box and noticed that the rotors aren't like the ones on the jeep. The ones on the jeep appear thicker and has the slots around the outside. Make sense? These ones are solid and thinner.

Did I get the wrong part or is it just a different style rotor? The brand I got are qualis. The box says the brand as "certified". The brand itself is certified.

I got all the above parts for $166 taxes in. Can't beat that price
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor, run down to your local Autozone and get their top of the line rotors & pads. Put them on yourself, then go enjoy a nice weekend at a Ritz Carlton with the money you saved.
HIGHLY unlikely you need to replace the emergency brake shoes, and putting on the replacements is a one banana job at best.

It never ceases to amaze what a bunch of crooks there are out there working on cars. Jeeezis H ............
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi Wavedatya, There is a way of getting around international shipping. What I did: I got myself an address in the U.S. with Shipito. You don't have to use Shipito you can use any other company out there. Just do your research, because they don't all charge the same price to open an account. I find Shipito works well for me and they have reasonable rates.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oooops!!! I forgot to mention, you should get yourself an american dollar credit card. Otherwise they may not sell to you even if you have an american address.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #23
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

You could try Northridge 4x4, Canada. > http://www.northridge4x4.ca
Maybe they can help you get some good brakes.

JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Just replaced the rear brakes with regular ceramic pads and the standard rotors, installed the teraflex big brake kit up front and the larger master cylinder. Very happy with the results since the Jeep is wear the 32" sneakers. I upgraded for the eventual 37" tire upgrade with the larger rolling mass.
TerfFlex big brake kit on 32's? You are going to be able to stop on a dime and give nine cents change! LOL!
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well, today I tackled my brakes in the rear due to unusual warm weather And warm I mean a few digits above freezing lol.

The job wasn't bad. Hard to get the bolts out and that's typical I suppose. Job was pretty straight forward and while I was there I gave my calipers a really good cleaning and scrubbing with steel brush. The amount of build up and crud was crazy!!!!

Anyways, got rotors off eventually. Replaced with new ones and fresh set of pads. Applied anti seize in between rotor and hub assembly to help the future me and save some time getting a rusted rotor off! Applied brake grease on pins, caliper clips and piston ring.

If anybody reading this has questions let me know. I was gonna do a write up but hands too dirty for iPhone and was too busy to take pictured.

The job cost me $275. That's rotors, pads, brake kit (rubber for pins and new clips). The dealer wanted almost $800 to do this job. So..... I figured I saved a bunch. So I went out and got a new jack and jack stand ( 3 ton) steel brush kit and all the grease I needed!!

The $275 above includes all the above!!! Yes folks! All the above. How could I go wrong there!

Anyways, job well done and had dinner at the keg. Now I'm having a nice cold beer to celebrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.