Brake Suggestions, Please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Suggestions, Please!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Brake Suggestions, Please!

I went through the reviews section and found a few treads in regards to brakes. It touched on a few brands such as, EBC, power slot, hawk pads and Wagner.

My rear brakes are shot and would like to change/upgrade. Dealer wanted about $700 for rotors, pads and shoes. To me that's crazy. I can upgrade and get better stuff for that price and do it myself. However, I'm having a problem narrowing it down to rotors and pads.

At my local 4x4 shop I can get xtreme stop rotors and EBC pads and mopar shoes $560 plus tax. Rotors are cross drilled.

I want OE replacement size and don't want bigger (planning on 15" wheels).

So, what would be a good choice? And real life use would be great. Not just what people think is best or heard is best. I am tempted to get DBA rotors but the price! Wow!

Please touch on durability, stopping, dust and noise. And if there is anything else that would be beneficial when changing. Lubes, grease etc...

Thanks guys. I look forward to your help in my choice.

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Mopar Fan

Stick with a set of good quality rear pads and rotors, then put the money saved into a front brake upgrade. You'll see a greater performance increase by upgrading the front brakes.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Bump.

Come on. I'm the only JK that's had to replace rear brakes? I don't think so lol.
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd be more inclined to go with basic brakes in rear as well. Weight transfer dictates that the fronts are doing the hard work anyway.
$700 is retarded for rear pads and rotors. It's a 30 minute job in the driveway.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw
I'd be more inclined to go with basic brakes in rear as well. Weight transfer dictates that the fronts are doing the hard work anyway.
$700 is retarded for rear pads and rotors. It's a 30 minute job in the driveway.
Lol. Tell me about it! So basically dealer would charge $1400 for front and rear. Maybe more.

I'm leaning towards Wagner pads and rotors I suppose. But around here nobody has them. Just weird names I haven't heard of.
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
rjacobs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would check out the stuff Black Magic Brakes has. Blaine knows his **** when it comes to brakes. Although I dont see on their website that they offer a rear drum setup unless you are only talking about parking brake shoes with the rear disks. Im not that up on JK's to know if rear disks were always standard(my dad just got a 13 JK so I gotta learn whats up).
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Lol. Tell me about it! So basically dealer would charge $1400 for front and rear. Maybe more.

I'm leaning towards Wagner pads and rotors I suppose. But around here nobody has them. Just weird names I haven't heard of.

You can get the factory parts at a nice discount from any number of Mopar online dealers. OTOH, run down to Autozone and you can get their rotors & pads with a lifetime warranty for beans and they'll work just as well or better than the factory stuff.

The fronts do the work, and on US spec JKs Chrysler cost cutting sticks it to the customer. Export JKs all have 13" rotors & dual piston calipers. We've been trying to get some part numbers but coming up short. OTOH, Teraflex's Big Brake kit is a great alternative and worth every penny. You will no longer have a braking issue, period. Get their master cylinder, too, if you have one older than 2010.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs
I would check out the stuff Black Magic Brakes has. Blaine knows his **** when it comes to brakes. Although I dont see on their website that they offer a rear drum setup unless you are only talking about parking brake shoes with the rear disks. Im not that up on JK's to know if rear disks were always standard(my dad just got a 13 JK so I gotta learn whats up).
Ill look into that. Thanks! The rear brakes are regular brakes but have the shoes In them. Which according to everyone are crap lol.

Wow! After just reading reviews for a few minutes I'm convinced on the brakes I want! Thank for the recommendation!!!!! So far I haven't read anything bad!!!!!
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

The shoes inside the rear rotors are for the emergency / parking brake. Not to worry.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
The shoes inside the rear rotors are for the emergency / parking brake. Not to worry.
I know but apparently with lack of use they crumble when rotors removed. At least that's what a few shops told me. I haven't heard from any people on here though and I trust you guys the most. If I can get away without ordering the shoes that would be great.

I emailed black magic for a shipping quote to Canada. Hopefully it's not ridiculous and I can go ahead and order these things . I love my country but buying stuff here sucks!!!
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ No, I'd say that the shop means that with a lack of proper adjustment of the star wheel the pads crumble when the shop mechanics beats the rotor off with a 5-lb hammer.

X2 on the Tera big brake for the fronts, use regular/el-cheapos on the rear.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I emailed black magic Sunday and still no response or shipping quote.

If any Canadians have ordered how much was a set shipped?
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Bump.

Come on. I'm the only JK that's had to replace rear brakes? I don't think so lol.
I replaced my rear pad when the Jeep went over 30K with the Duralast brand from Autozone. That's what I remembered. It only cost me $70 and 30 minutes on a Saturday. $700 is way too high for any regular brake job. If you account for $70/hour, that means the shop takes 10hours for the rear brake job, and that means these guys don't know what the hell they are doing.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Again. This I the email I got from black magic minus names.

We no longer ship Brake Parts internationally due to the amount of fraud we
have encountered with our international customers. To get around this
restriction some international customers are having their friends order the
parts locally and then making arrangements for pick up or delivery.

This is nuts. I can understand if I wanted my brakes before payment but if I'm paying for them how can I be a fraud? Call me naive or....

For the first time in my life someone won't take $200 from me. Weird. Business must be good I suppose.
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just replaced the rear brakes with regular ceramic pads and the standard rotors, installed the teraflex big brake kit up front and the larger master cylinder. Very happy with the results since the Jeep is wear the 32" sneakers. I upgraded for the eventual 37" tire upgrade with the larger rolling mass.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.