Brake pads are good but squeak, why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake pads are good but squeak, why?

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
bmf2001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Brake pads are good but squeak, why?

25k miles and the front brake pads are still good so why do they squeak and how can I stop it?

They do not squeak every time I use my brakes but often enough that it bugs the hell out of me.

Thanks!

bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I have no idea. I get the occasional squeak from the front and the rear, but it doesn't bother me. I consider it part of the Jeep's personality.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Squeaking is caused by the pads vibrating. You can buy a spray that will hold the pads to the calipers and stop the squeak.
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
chuy293
2008 JK Wrangler 

This can be caused by the discs or pads or both being crystalized. My 07 did this, i removed pads and roughed them up on the cement (evenly). The discs i roughed up with some sand paper. This fixed the problem for me, hope it helps.
2000 F350 4x4 7.3
chuy293 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

You can remove the pads, clean everything up real good. Then apply a liberal amount of brake grease to the backs of the pads.

My rear pads (which I replaced at 24k miles) squeak. I did not apply enough brake grease apparently. I'm used to motorcycle pads where you only need a thin application of the grease. So I did the same with these pads, and apparently it wasn't enough. I really need to redo it, I've just been too lazy. The squeak annoys the hell out of my 14yr daughter when I have the top off

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm in the autoparts business. Check to make sure the pads on the vehicle don't have shims pre-installed on them. If they do, most of the time the no-squeal sprays and greases will slowly dissolve the adhesive bonding the shims to the pads, and create worse squeaking down the road. Just a heads up.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
I'm in the autoparts business. Check to make sure the pads on the vehicle don't have shims pre-installed on them. If they do, most of the time the no-squeal sprays and greases will slowly dissolve the adhesive bonding the shims to the pads, and create worse squeaking down the road. Just a heads up.
Well that's something I've never heard. And good to know. Guess I now know why my pads started squeaking about a month after putting in the new pads

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
True ^^

consequently, better or "more stopping power" pads will squeek more, too.
Both our race cars (vette & a fox body mustang) use Hawk HP+ or better pads... Squeek squeeeeeeek as you come to a stop.
Oddly enough, a decent pad which doesn't squeek is the regular ol NAPA Gold.
Good pads. I'll probably use those for my Jeep in 10k more miles.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Well that's something I've never heard. And good to know. Guess I now know why my pads started squeaking about a month after putting in the new pads
No problem. Glad I was able to help someone else out for a change!
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.