Brake Light On Dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Light On Dash

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Brake Light On Dash

On my 08 Rubi I had the brake light come on without the ebrake actuated. I checked the ebrake operation and it works and the brake light flashes when actuated. I checked fluid level and it was near the min line. I did front calipers and pads last night, bled the brakes and added fluid. The light went out on my 5 minute drive to NAPA. Started the Jeep back up and it's on again. I have pedal pressure and the brakes work fine. I'm at a loss and I have to drive 3 hours for a wedding tonight.

FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

eBrake is mechanical linkage and not connected to your hydraulic system. The sensor switch is located under the center console and sounds like it needs adjustment...just make sure the brake lever is all the way down. Can someone add....does the hydraulic system have any connection to the dash brake light? I am searching my manual to see.

edit: Found out that when the hydraulic system senses and imbalance between lines this will trigger the brake light to stay on as long as imbalance is sensed. Suggestion is to check fluid levels and possibly bleed system to restore pressure balance in system. Most common cause though is sensor at eBrake, check first before investing more money, also potential for bad pressure sensor at master cylinder and ABS distribution block.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

When I get back tomorrow I'm going to rebleed the brakes and see if that helps. I cleaned the interior last week so maybe something got pushed into the switch. I hope it's that simple. The light is killing me being on

Unread 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
ncb

If it's the parking brake switch the brake light will blink.

If the reservoir is low or there is a brake system anomaly the light will be solid.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
If it's the parking brake switch the brake light will blink. If the reservoir is low or there is a brake system anomaly the light will be solid.
I understand that, that's why I stated in the first post that the ebrake light works normally, that's why I don't think it's the switch. It's something with the brake system.

After driving 300 miles this weekend my pedal pressure is normal and all braking seems fine. No emergency stops yet so I'm not sure if the ABS or TC is still operating normally.

Unread 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem. Turns out that the last time the dealer had the jeep to replace the header, they must of bumped the fluid level sensor glued on to the side of the brake reservoir. I found it just barely hanging on the hole it's mounted in. The brake light would come on and off all the time. I re-glued it and it fixed the intermittent brake light.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.