Boring week, decided to install DIY mesh grill mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Boring week, decided to install DIY mesh grill mod

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Boring week, decided to install DIY mesh grill mod

*disclaimer* if you have a winch on your bumper that prevents you from fully removing the grill, its probably best to skip this mod because it was a PITA!!

Being a bored college student with too much time on my hands I decided to make a trip to the hardware store yesterday and pick up the materials to make the mesh grill. Its a cheap mod, the materials (plastic gutter guard, zip ties, mounting squares) cost less than $20 in total.

I then followed some other threads on the subject and removed the 6 screws holding the top of the grill on. *disclaimer #2* these little buggers are very difficult and I needed to use pliers in addition to a screwdriver. I also stripped 2 of the screws in the process. After getting these screws out, I noticed that it was going to be a tight squeeze to get the grill out because my brushguard and winch were in the way from allowing the bottom of the grill to popout.

Having small hands came in handy as I had to pull the grill out away from the car and reach my arms behind it to mount the squares and tie on the zip ties. After about 5 hours of work I was finally finished and the grill came out looking really nice, (if you can remove the grill from the car entirely, I could see this mod taking no more than an hour from start to finish). My forearms and hands on the other hand took a beating. The countless scratches on my arms look like track marks but oh well the grill came out looking good so thats all that matters.

So if you have some free time and are looking for a simple and cheap mod to do yourself, this is it.

*disclaimer 3* sorry for the poor quality pic, I took this photo with my iphone

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks really good I actually like that better than the grill inserts I have.
Unread 03-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Looks really good I actually like that better than the grill inserts I have.
What kind do you have? Can we see a picture?
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mr. Grille. They were chrome/stainless but I bedlined them:

Unread 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just did mine today. Turned out well. I couldnt imagine doing it w/out taking the grill off.......

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
SpikesterUK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I also did my mesh grill mod this afternoon. Turned out great.
SpikesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Mr. Grille. They were chrome/stainless but I bedlined them:

Thank you. That looks good. I had never heard of that brand so I googled them. They came up on Quadratec and another site I had never heard of. The weird thing is that this site looks like a clone of Quadratec. Discount Warn Winches, Ramsey Winches and Mile Marker Winches - Every winch on sale. - Acme Jeep Parts
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just found this in the fine print at the bottom of the site:

Visit our Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories store at Quadratec.com
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Jeep3607
2007 JK Wrangler 

How durable is this route? It looks badass, but I don't want to have to keep redoing it if a june bug, or a nice ol' rock can take it out no problem...
Jeep3607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

^^ x2

Sure looks beefy though. I'm planning on doing something akin to this on my YJ, and you just gave me some ideas! Looks good! Now I have something to do this week

H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

I've got a black Jeep..and would like to do them in silver....any thoughts on how silver paint would come out on the plastic gutter guard?
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got a black jeep and did this mod a few months back. looks great and i love it. If you want to see what it looks like i'll post some pics tomorrow morning when i get home from the station
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
tbone616

I did this mod a few months back as well and one thing i would suggest is to not tighten it down to much. I made it as tight as possible the first time and found some of the tabs would come off (i didn't glue them the first time) as well a june bug popped a hole in one. I redid it about a month after i had first put it on (glued the tabs on and left a little slack in the mesh) and haven't had a problem since. I've picked all kinds of bugs out of it (even ended a chiackadee) and it's held up great.
tbone616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

I decided that it would be worth spending the extra 15 mins or so to epoxy each support piece down instead of relying on the double sided tape that was on each piece. Wasn't bad to pull all the tape off, scuff up the surfaces, and then put them in place. Much less likely to have any trouble with those pieces secured that way. Just my thoughts on the install if anyone chooses to put this diy mod on.
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #15
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doliss View Post
I've got a black jeep and did this mod a few months back. looks great and i love it. If you want to see what it looks like i'll post some pics tomorrow morning when i get home from the station
Cool...did you do it in silver? Looking forward to seeing the pictures, as long as it doesn't rain on Saturday, that is my Jeep project for the weekend. Thanks to everyones input on this...I must have read 4 threads with about 100 responses in total.....Love these forums.....
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , grill inserts , JK Wrangler , mesh grill , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.