bolt on rock rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > bolt on rock rails

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

bolt on rock rails

Ironically, my question in the Rubicon Rub Rail thread is ignored as a pi$$ing contest ensues about springs so Iím starting a thread to see if I can get some advice.

bought a 2Dr "S" last night and I want a step of sorts and a rock rail. No sever rock crawling, thisíll be a Midwest fishing, off road, fire-trails, and take the grandsons Jeep.

Since big rocks arenít in my game plan and I have no welder, Iím looking at bolt on units.

Those my research have discovered?

Rubi enhanced rock rail: part # 82210575AC:
http://www.mopar.com/part/82210575AC...=276354&b=jeep

Smithybilt:
https://www.fortec4x4.com/Smittybilt...JK-2-Door.html

I notice the Side-Armor has a angled piece underneath. Is that better?

Ace: http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...-Door_p_8.html

LoD bolts directly onto the frame according to it's description. THAT SOUNDS GOOD. Is this the same installation as other options above:

LoD: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/lod-fra...FepFMgodsXsApw

Anyone who had knowledge, thoughts, opinions, experience or even not ... please give me some guidance.

Thanks,

john

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

John,

We do a TON of these:
http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/acejkrs2dr.htm

They bolt on in minutes. They work great as a step (and rocker protection if you need them to). The work with or without the stock Rubi rails. They come powder coated. They are made in the USA. AND... they are one of the cheaper options out on the market! We ran them on our 2dr for years and put them through their paces and they help up great! My wife and kids really liked them as a step too!

If you have any questions about these or any other slider/steps. Let us know. We can get just about any that is out there. We can get all the ones there on your list plus many more!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I personally don't like any of them, especially not smittybilt.

The only two I'd use is teraflex or nemesis. I run nemesis.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a set of the ace rails over top of the stock rubi rockers on my buddy's '12. He seems to like them and they work well.
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

You are not going to get a straight un-biased answer.

From the sounds of your wheeling, I would recommend you just get what you think looks the best and that you can afford.

I got the SRC Rock Sliders on my four door, and they work great as a step and protecting my jeep from mild to intermediate trails. On a 4-door which I have, I wish they had an extra support, but on a two door, thats not an issue.

If I had more money at the time, I would of gotten the LoD frame mounted sliders. Even stronger than the smittybilt, but they still have the step... also quite a bit more money.

I don't like the ACE or Mopar rails as a step (as protection they are great), because they don't have the flat surface welded on like the LOD and the Smittybilt.

On the forums, people are pretty name brand conscious, in the real world while wheeling, no one cares what you have.
Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can only comment on the Ace rails, I run a set on my 2 dr with a set of Rubi rails I picked up cheap. Decent price, excellent quality, easy install, looks great with the Rubi rails but not so much by themselves, over the past two years they have stood up to everything wheeling in TN has throw at them with no issues what's so ever. If I had to do it again I'd buy the aces
slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're not using them for rock crawling, then go with the one you like the looks of most.

The LOD are more of a rock crawler rail and are on the expensive side. They are REALLY nice though and have a great look.

I would go with the Ace. I had some and they were great, but not the best for rock crawling because of the loss of ground clearance. They do make a great step and took lots of rock crawling abuse.

I ended up getting Evo weld on, but highly recommend the Ace. My second choice was the LOD.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I installed a set of the ace rails over top of the stock rubi rockers on my buddy's '12. He seems to like them and they work well.
This is my plan. I've got Rubi rails on my Sport and while they seem sturdy, I want more. And yes, I'll be buying from KOR.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

sounds like the Rubi rails w/ ace addition might be my best bet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do both the rails and ace use the bolts and bolt-holes?

John
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
HK_Runner
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ace uses the body bolts- they are decent. The Smittys suck, and they hang super low. For light-medium stuff, the ACE sliders are a great value.
HK_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
sounds like the Rubi rails w/ ace addition might be my best bet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do both the rails and ace use the bolts and bolt-holes?

John
Sorry, what I meant to ask in my question above was; "do both the rubi rails and ace use the SAME botls and bolt-holes? Or do they attach using different bolts and holes?

Thanks
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
Sorry, what I meant to ask in my question above was; "do both the rubi rails and ace use the SAME botls and bolt-holes? Or do they attach using different bolts and holes?

Thanks
No you do not touch the Rubi rail bolts. The Ace use the body mounting bolts.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
BManz
2011 WK 

I recommend the bolt-on ACE sliders. They're affordable, mid-heavy duty, easy to install and I've "tested" them on a serious rock trail with my JK. As for use as a step: you don't need a flat surface like other types; buy some non-skid tape at Menards/HomeDepot (http://www.menards.com/main/see-more...907-c-7189.htm) and you're good to go. The people who get into my JK always use the ACE sliders (affixed with skid tape) and remark how grippy they are to step on even when wet. Another reason to pick the ACE sliders is that they're 3/16" thick tubing and well finished so they're not going to rust out after a few years like some cheaper stuff will.
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

ACE over Rubi for the win.

SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of them right before being used

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.